• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Harbhajan reignites racism storm

archie mac

International Coach
Mentioning someones mother is just schoolboy humour whereas be racist is a little more serious IMO.
The point being that different things upset different people, I am white, so maybe racist remarks matter more to different races.

Who decides what is worse?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Really can't believe some people are attacking Ponting in this instance. Absolutely ridiculous. People always find a way to criticise him, even if he's doing the exact right thing.
I didn't realise that only the captains were allowed to make reports to the match referees, the way it came across on the radio was that Ponting was just sticking his beak where it wasn't wanted. My bad.

ozone

First Class Debutant
The point being that different things upset different people, I am white, so maybe racist remarks matter more to different races.

Who decides what is worse?
Obviously different people think different things, but I think that most people (90%+) would consider calling someone a racially motivated name worse than saying 'your mums fat and ugly'.

archie mac

International Coach
Obviously different people think different things, but I think that most people (90%+) would consider calling someone a racially motivated name worse than saying 'your mums fat and ugly'.
You might have that it little bit far one way, maybe 80-20, or maybe my mates are all wankers:laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bhogle mentioned it to point out how the cultures of both nations are so different. We have a monkey god in India whom people respect while it is racist to call a Symonds monkey. He was not defending calling Symonds a monkey and he did say that if Harbhajan said it, it is a serious offence.
Yeah didn't actually hear about Harsha's comments, was more referring to those on the forum which seemed to be suggesting Harbhajan calling Symonds a monkey might not be reprehensible.

The cultures of India and Australia are vastly different, and that's always going to cause a measure of trouble, and always has. It's regrettable, but pretty much unavoidable.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
You'll find them in pretty much every country. It's the majority of the population that matters.
India is growing at tremendous rate. Also, the British left only 60 years back, liberalisation happened only in 1991. More jobs and opportunities are there than ever before and I am sure there will be more in due time. Give it time for FFS.