• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hadlee's health

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
The great man is recovering from bowel cancer surgery. This is a major killer in NZ, so here's hoping and praying that all is okay.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hoping he makes a full recovery.

In fact, I hope he does so well that he recovers enough to take a lot of second innings wickets.

Burgey

More so here in NZ and here than the US and UK. I have a theory that it’s because there’s less water in the toilet bowl here than in those countries.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
More so here in NZ and here than the US and UK. I have a theory that it’s because there’s less water in the toilet bowl here than in those countries.
I think this theory deserves a full exposition in a thread of its own.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Disproportionately so?

If so is there a reason?

... wishing Sir Paddles a full and speedy recovery
High meat consumption (we've got one of the highest rates of bowel cancer in the world as a result).

Amongst cancers bowel is our 2nd biggest killer behind lung cancer, but there are more public health messages about breast, skin and prostate cancers.

Burgey

I can explain it in one post.

So you go to the States or the UK, and the brasco has so much water in it that there's just no escaping the fact all your pooticles are on display (assuming an average level of floatation for said pooticles). So you're more likely to notice abnormalities over time in the US or UK than here, where there is far less water in the brasco and therefore a larger proportion of your pooticles end up on the other side of the bottom of the bowl and out of sight.

I realize this isn't a particularly pleasant thing to discuss, but I believe it's a factor in bowel cancer rates between countries which have similar dietary habits.

Burgey

High meat consumption (we've got one of the highest rates of bowel cancer in the world as a result).

Amongst cancers bowel is our 2nd biggest killer behind lung cancer, but there are more public health messages about breast, skin and prostate cancers.
This is a very similar tale to here as well. A campaign has just kicked off over here on TV to encourage bowel cancer screening. Apparently it's quite a slow developing cancer compared with a number of others, so it can generally be treated if it's picked up (just going by what I've heard on that btw, not that I've looked up research).

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is a very similar tale to here as well. A campaign has just kicked off over here on TV to encourage bowel cancer screening. Apparently it's quite a slow developing cancer compared with a number of others, so it can generally be treated if it's picked up (just going by what I've heard on that btw, not that I've looked up research).
I think that may be the case, but I've generally gained the impression that it's often only picked up when it's too late.

Anyway, I wish Sir Richard the best of luck.

TheJediBrah

Recommend getting yearly colonoscopies over the age of 35 tbh, but so few people are actually going to do that

a massive zebra

International Captain
So there is now a fair chance that arguably the two greatest fast bowlers ever could die from the same illness. At least Hadlee has made it to a decent, if not exactly old, vintage.

Best wishes for a full recovery.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Interestingly the rates are much higher amongst NZers of European descent (Pakeha) than Maori and Pacific Islanders despite higher average socio-economic backgrounds and probably higher consumption of fresh fruit and vegetables. There could be genetic factors at play too.

a massive zebra

International Captain
If there were genetic factors at play to explain the much higher bowel cancer rates amongst NZers of European descent, wouldn't one expect bowel cancer rates to also be high among those of European descent still living in Europe?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I can explain it in one post.

So you go to the States or the UK, and the brasco has so much water in it that there's just no escaping the fact all your pooticles are on display (assuming an average level of floatation for said pooticles). So you're more likely to notice abnormalities over time in the US or UK than here, where there is far less water in the brasco and therefore a larger proportion of your pooticles end up on the other side of the bottom of the bowl and out of sight.

I realize this isn't a particularly pleasant thing to discuss, but I believe it's a factor in bowel cancer rates between countries which have similar dietary habits.
It would be interesting to compare that with Germany, where I believe they have viewing platforms in their bowls.

vcs

It would be interesting to compare that with Germany, where I believe they have viewing platforms in their bowls.
This is getting gross and morbid, but how exactly do these viewing platforms work? Is it like a hatch that opens into the water when you press a lever, having conducted the examination of poo to one's satisfaction, and then you flush the thing?

Starfighter

This is getting gross and morbid, but how exactly do these viewing platforms work? Is it like a hatch that opens into the water when you press a lever, having conducted the examination of poo to one's satisfaction, and then you flush the thing?
There's a platform that catches your crap, which is washed off under flushing.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
It’s just a static platform that your �� falls onto, then having inspected it to satisfaction you can flush it away.

Since the �� doesn’t directly drop into the water seal until you flush, I imagine German toilets must stink immensely whilst you go about your business.

Last edited:

Gnske

Recommend getting yearly colonoscopies over the age of 35 tbh, but so few people are actually going to do that
I'd rather die painfully than let any other man near my arse.

I'd rather keep my homophobia intact rather than my life.