• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hadlee and Philander and similar stats

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Separated by a hundred years:

CB Fry: 41 innings, 1223 runs @ 32.18, 2 centuries
SS Das: 40 innings, 1326 runs @ 34.89, 2 centuries

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Me (tests): 0 Innings, 0 runs, 0 S/R, 0 fifties, 0 tonnes, 0 wickets, - ave, - S/R

You (tests): 0 Innings, 0 runs, 0 S/R, 0 fifties, 0 tonnes, 0 wickets, - ave, - S/R :naughty:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, no idea if reality backs my thoughts up, but I've always been of the opinion that if a batsman is going to average 30-35, I'd prefer them to be consistent starters but not necessarily go on with it, as the opposite type of batsman with a low average just means too many failures, which really hurts the team. Obviously you'd rather they converted some starts and averaged more as a result, but this a purely after-the-fact view on things basically.
Joe Denly's an obvious example. Averages 30-35 because he nearly always scores 30-35. Throw in the fact that he takes a while to do that means that he's incredibly valuable in setting the groundwork for our middle order more often than not. Which wouldn't be the case if his 30-35 average was due to occasional big scores but falling in single figures all too regularly. Burns is similar, but not to the same extent, I suppose.

srbhkshk

International Captain
I suppose partly it's also that people who regularly score 35 tend to have temperament issues, while hundred or zero players are more likely to have technique issues so their big scores are more likely to come on easier pitches and not be that important for the team.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Cross format stats shouldn't be taken all that seriously, but still

Win - Loss ratio for India across formats : 1.19

Win - Loss ratio for Pakistan across formats : 1.19

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
N Wagner (NZ) 47 matches, 204 wickets @ 26.63, 9 5-wickets hauls
JA Snow (ENG) 49 matches, 202 wickets @ 26.66, 8 5-wickets hauls

harsh.ag

Michael Slater: 74 tests, 5312 runs @ 42.83 with 14 centuries
Ian Chappell: 75 tests, 5345 runs @ 42.42 with 14 centuries

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I see that with big Vern about to finish his test career many of his stats are identical (or almost) with Hadlee - thanks Cricbuzz.

Of course Hadlee is much higher for wickets, bags, and wpm but look at average, economy, and strike rate.

Hadlee - 22.29, 2.63 per over, 50.8 sr
Philander - 22.29, 2.63 per over, 50.7 sr

Who are other pairs of players with very similar statistics?
So now Philander has finished his bowling career his final figures are:

22.32, 2.63, 50.84

Interestingly he conceded EXACTLY 5000 runs with the ball.

mr_mister

Michael Slater: 74 tests, 5312 runs @ 42.83 with 14 centuries
Ian Chappell: 75 tests, 5345 runs @ 42.42 with 14 centuries
Interesting that one was considered to have not fulfilled potential while the other had a celebrated complete career

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting that one was considered to have not fulfilled potential while the other had a celebrated complete career
Context is everything, I suppose. Slater's average was probably lower than many of his contemporaries, and certainly those who followed. Whereas Ian Chappell's average would have been higher than most of his contemporaries, albeit not his younger brother.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Context is everything, I suppose. Slater's average was probably lower than many of his contemporaries, and certainly those who followed. Whereas Ian Chappell's average would have been higher than most of his contemporaries, albeit not his younger brother.
It wasn't so much Slater's average. 43 is perfectly fine for an opening batsman. He was only 30 when he played his last test, and he might have gone for quite a few more years apart from the diagnosis of bipolar, the allegations about Gilchrist's kid, and the diagnosis of a type of arthritis. He had a lot going on.