• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hadlee and Philander and similar stats

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I see that with big Vern about to finish his test career many of his stats are identical (or almost) with Hadlee - thanks Cricbuzz.

Of course Hadlee is much higher for wickets, bags, and wpm but look at average, economy, and strike rate.

Hadlee - 22.29, 2.63 per over, 50.8 sr
Philander - 22.29, 2.63 per over, 50.7 sr

Who are other pairs of players with very similar statistics?

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Graeme Pollock 23 matches 41 innings 2256 runs @ 60.97
George Headley 22 matches 40 innings 2190 runs @ 60.83

Always fascinated me growing up that the two batsmen directly behind Bradman in average had such similar stats, and that both had their careers interrupted. They even had the same amount of not outs. If Headley played 1 more test and only batted once scoring 66, they have identical careers minus 50’s/100’s.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Graeme Pollock 23 matches 41 innings 2256 runs @ 60.97
George Headley 22 matches 40 innings 2190 runs @ 60.83

Always fascinated me growing up that the two batsmen directly behind Bradman in average had such similar stats. They even had the same amount of not outs. If Headley played 1 more test and only batted once scoring 66, they have identical careers minus 50’s/100’s.
That's very interesting. I knew about their averages but wasn't aware of matches, innings, and runs. Thanks.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bruce Reid: 27 matches, 113 wickets at 24.63 with 5 five-fors.
Ryan Harris: 27 matches, 113 wickets at 23.52 with 5 five-fors.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dale Steyn bowling avg : 22.95, Kagiso Rabada bowling avg: 22.95

Fred Tate 1 test, 2 wickets @ 22.50
Sadashiv Patil (who?) 1 test, 2 wickets @ 22.50

James Anderson: 61 away* tests, 194 wickets @33.36
Ishant Sharma: 59 away tests, 194 tests @33.34

*excludes neutral tests

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good job guys.

Now which two players have identical bowling or batting averages whose names add up to the least number of letters?

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Asif Iqbal 58 matches 99 innings 3575 runs @ 38.85 with the bat. Averages 28.33 with the ball.

Mushtaq Mohammad 57 matches 100 innings 3643 runs @ 39.17 with the bat. Averages 29.22 with the ball.

Remarkably similar stats.

Both were born in the same year as well :laugh:

mr_mister

Chetan Chauhan 68 innings, avg 31.57, 16 fifties and 0 tons

Niroshan Dickwella 65 innings, avg 31.48, 15 fifties and 0 tons

The unconverted 50s stat the coolest part of course but the averages remarkably similar too

The lack of 100s really undersells their value to the team, their average could get a bump if some of those fifties were turned potentially into big 100s

A fifty less every 4 innings or so is good though

Last edited:

Bijed

International Regular
Chetan Chauhan 68 innings, avg 31.57, 16 fifties and 0 tons

Niroshan Dickwella 65 innings, avg 31.48, 15 fifties and 0 tons

The unconverted 50s stat the coolest part of course but the averages remarkably similar too

The lack of 100s really undersells their value to the team due to it hurting their average. A fifty less every 4 innings or so is good
Yeah, no idea if reality backs my thoughts up, but I've always been of the opinion that if a batsman is going to average 30-35, I'd prefer them to be consistent starters but not necessarily go on with it, as the opposite type of batsman with a low average just means too many failures, which really hurts the team. Obviously you'd rather they converted some starts and averaged more as a result, but this a purely after-the-fact view on things basically.

Basically Shane Watson vs Marcus North (think I did a poll on that ages ago) - people not unreasonably ragged on Watto for his 35 and out all the time (made worse by the inevitable loss of a review too) but people also seemed much more annoyed with North doing literally **** all between his tons, even though he scored them relatively often

mr_mister

Yeah, no idea if reality backs my thoughts up, but I've always been of the opinion that if a batsman is going to average 30-35, I'd prefer them to be consistent starters but not necessarily go on with it, as the opposite type of batsman with a low average just means too many failures, which really hurts the team. Obviously you'd rather they converted some starts and averaged more as a result, but this a purely after-the-fact view on things basically.

Basically Shane Watson vs Marcus North (think I did a poll on that ages ago) - people not unreasonably ragged on Watto for his 35 and out all the time (made worse by the inevitable loss of a review too) but people also seemed much more annoyed with North doing literally **** all between his tons, even though he scored them relatively often
Well said, it seems Matt Wade is turning into a Marcus North

Last edited:

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
Those three stats are interrelated so if two are similar then the third will also be

Edit: at op - average, strike rate and economy

Rasimione

U19 Captain

So you'd be ok with a Themba Bavuma?

Bijed

International Regular
So you'd be ok with a Themba Bavuma?
If I was a South African coach and/or selector, I'd definitely be telling him his conversion rate in and of itself isn't good enough and he needs to improve it, and it's not like I'd pick him over someone who basically just scores more runs, but if he was competing for a spot with a North Mk 2 sort of player who also had a test average of 31, yeah, I'd go with Temba. Of course, ideally you've got a better option than a guy averaging 31 anyway, but being an England fan I know how harsh reality can be in this regard.

As an aside, I always wonder how North would have been viewed if he'd failed just as often and scored tons just as often, but all his tons were big ones (say 150+)

Last edited: