• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group B - Bangladesh, Oman, Papua New Guinea, Scotland

Camo999

State 12th Man
Wonderful and deserved result for these players who have played some phenomenal cricket over the past five years. It is a pity that they haven’t been afforded some more opportunities against high profile opposition over that time. Hopefully we can capitalise on this and get into the main draw of the tournament.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Wonderful and deserved result for these players who have played some phenomenal cricket over the past five years. It is a pity that they haven’t been afforded some more opportunities against high profile opposition over that time. Hopefully we can capitalise on this and get into the main draw of the tournament.
I don't understand why tours are so badly arranged (I know harder during Covid times etc) - but when India (and other places) tour England, surely it wouldn't/shouldn't be that hard to put together the odd T20/ODI vs Scotland and a test vs Ireland (assuming both aren't touring themselves at the same time)?

Visas and bus driver schedules aside of course...

slippy888

International Captain
Well what happen here, i dont like saying this but if Bangladesh fail to qualfy here it will set them back at least 5 years.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't understand why tours are so badly arranged (I know harder during Covid times etc) - but when India (and other places) tour England, surely it wouldn't/shouldn't be that hard to put together the odd T20/ODI vs Scotland and a test vs Ireland (assuming both aren't touring themselves at the same time)?

Yes, A tour to England should have an Ireland test, a tour to India/Pakistan should have an Afghan test and a tour to SA should have a Zimbabwe test to start with.

cnerd123

likes this

Boards don't think it's worth the cost. Rightly or wrongly, the perception is that these games won't generate the revenue to justify the effort and the risk of humiliation.

Having said that there are teams whove done exactly that before. Pakistan played Ireland as a warmup to their England tour iirc, and a few other nations have taken on Scotland/Netherlands leading into an England series. But yea it's not as common as it should be.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Boards don't think it's worth the cost. Rightly or wrongly, the perception is that these games won't generate the revenue to justify the effort and the risk of humiliation.

Having said that there are teams whove done exactly that before. Pakistan played Ireland as a warmup to their England tour iirc, and a few other nations have taken on Scotland/Netherlands leading into an England series. But yea it's not as common as it should be.
I hope that it future, cricket moves forward from being an avenue to generate money to expanding the sport being the first priority.

_00_deathscar

International Regular

Doesn’t it become a cyclical thing though where there is limited growth in the associate nations (because let’s face it no one wants to see Scotland vs Hong Kong or something)

No ones asking for a 5 test tour of Scotland
Just 2 ODIs and one test with Ireland or similar

India, AUS and a couple of others could even field a mixed B teams for ODIs like we just did with Sri Lanka - youngsters, experienced players and recovering players who need a game - plenty of top talent there and big name draws too.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Singapore beat Scotland in the WT20 Qualifiers. Therefore Singapore is currently better than Bangladesh (and Hong Kong of course).

Suck it @cnerd123

Aritro

International Regular
Well what happen here, i dont like saying this but if Bangladesh fail to qualfy here it will set them back at least 5 years.
Why would it set us back five years? It'll be one missed tournament. A bit embarrassing, ultimately not of much consequence.

cnerd123

likes this
I hope that it future, cricket moves forward from being an avenue to generate money to expanding the sport being the first priority.
Doesn’t it become a cyclical thing though where there is limited growth in the associate nations (because let’s face it no one wants to see Scotland vs Hong Kong or something)

No ones asking for a 5 test tour of Scotland
Just 2 ODIs and one test with Ireland or similar

India, AUS and a couple of others could even field a mixed B teams for ODIs like we just did with Sri Lanka - youngsters, experienced players and recovering players who need a game - plenty of top talent there and big name draws too.
Yea I'm all for it, and I think the big boards are wrong to think the relative lack of revenue generated makes it not worth their while. If anything there are plenty of new markets to tap into if they're savvy about how they promote and use those games (for example - think of all the subcontinental expats living in places like Scotland/Netherlands/etc that companies can target with these games). They could even use Associate nations as a way to get the 2nd XIs in action, as you say.

But unfortunately a lot of the thinking at the highest levels of cricket administration is still pretty backwards, and all they do care about is the bottom line. Everyone wants a larger slice of the pie and no one is thinking about how to make this pie bigger.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hong Kong already beat BD at a World T20 qualifier back in 2014. On their home turf too. Took Scotland 7 years to catch up, and ofc Singapore hasn't ever been at this level, so there's no comparison really.
Ah yes, had forgotten about that win. Not bad from a bunch of match fixers and deserters. 7 years ago though. If we're reaching that far Singapore has beaten Zimbabwe and Afghanistan too.

cnerd123

likes this
Ah yes, had forgotten about that win. Not bad from a bunch of match fixers and deserters. 7 years ago though. If we're reaching that far Singapore has beaten Zimbabwe and Afghanistan too.
but no matter how far we reach back, Singapore have never featured at a World Cup :no2: