• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

GROUP B - Australia, England, Zimbabwe

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Nice work from Johnson tonight. He's a class act. Actually, he and Bracken have been pretty good in both games so far, Bracken's final over against Zimbabwe aside.

Laurrz

International Debutant
reminds me a bit of White actually ... pudgy blonde guy who bowls leggies

i thought he'd be easy to get away but for a leggy he did well in this game

Laurrz

International Debutant
Yeah I support Zimbabwe, I have done for years, just check my old posts... making out I'm some kind of gloating Pom laughing about Australia losing to Zimbabwe.... Pasag, that's really unfair and a slur on my character. Mind you I did get a bit overexcited. The use of the large font was going a bit far.
u had every right to be over excited tbh..

was hoping we'd knock england out for you guys :(

pasag

RTDAS
Yeah I support Zimbabwe, I have done for years, just check my old posts... making out I'm some kind of gloating Pom laughing about Australia losing to Zimbabwe.... Pasag, that's really unfair and a slur on my character. Mind you I did get a bit overexcited. The use of the large font was going a bit far.
Wasn't laughing at the gloating at all, it was the overreactions of everyone, most of them that should really know better. Hardly a 'slur on your character', which I don't see from a single smiley anyways. But yeah, I must admit there probably was a chuckle at the schadenfreude coming back to bite all the poms in the arse included here and you wouldn't be included in that tbf, so spologies if you thought that.

Anyways back on topic, re: the Zim match. I can't see what Australia should have been so embarrassed about, the batsmen tried to smack from the get go, it didn't pay off and that's it. Especially for a team new to the format and watching WI-SA the night before, it wasn't so disgraceful. They took a risk, it didn't pay off and that was that. Zimbabwe were good enough to make them pay and credit to them. It's a shame that they beat the best side in the world and couldn't go through though.

Re the England match, I thought everything was superb in the first innings. The fielding was great and aggressive, the bowling was intelligent especially from Johnson who was great as was Bracken as always. Ponting's captaincy was top notch as well. The batsmen did their jobs well also.

I think the loss to Zimbabwe was pretty unfortunate for all the other sides as it really awoke the sleeping giant in a way, similar to the Tests after 2005 and the WC after the C-H series. Honestly, I didn't think we'd win before the tournament started as I thought the players would have been slightly complacent and not given that little bit extra to win a world championship, but now I think the exact opposite.

Re: Twenty20s, I still think they're dire in principle but I'm still enjoying this competition especially with some quite interesting matches played so far. Also I do quite enjoy the failed slogging/ caught in the deep type aspect quite abit. I've always enjoyed batting alot more than bowling in the other forms of cricket, but here I am enjoying backing the bowlers heaps, the underdogs so to speak.

Last edited:

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
The only thing that is good about today is we are still in the tournament (and that won't be good if we play like that again!). The rest of the world must hate us. We had this in last year's CT and the WC warm ups this year too. Australia are struggling and we kindly help them back to their feet:@ . I bet they win it now....

pup11

International Coach
I am really relieved after Aussies won the game, i loved the way they played today they didn't even give England a chance and played like true champions, all in all it was a clinical performance by the Aussies.

pup11

International Coach
Though i would have liked to see Hilfy in the playing XI, i was more than impressed with the way Bracken and Mitch bowled, it was good to see Bracken win the man of the match (he can count it as a belated birthday gift).

Chubb

International Regular
Wasn't laughing at the gloating at all, it was the overreactions of everyone, most of them that should really know better. Hardly a 'slur on your character', which I don't see from a single smiley anyways. But yeah, I must admit there probably was a chuckle at the schadenfreude coming back to bite all the poms in the arse included here and you wouldn't be included in that tbf, so spologies if you thought that.
Thanks- just a misunderstanding.

Laurrz

International Debutant
yes the bowling was very well executed and it looks like they thought about it

Lee - bowled fast as usual and back of a length unlike last game where he was a bit full and they cashed in...fast and straight

Bracken - our best, his second spell was right on the money and i dont know why he didnt come round the wicket and bowl his cutters against zimmy because he is very hard to get away when he bowls like that, its very unique i have never seen another bowler use this tactic..he's done it for a while of course
got KP

Johnson - used the bouncer well and he looks really good when he bowls short of a length angling across the righties.. got good bounce today and has a big future being the fastest left arm bowler in the world
i was thinking he was our weak link today so very happy

Clark - dissappointing with the two no balls but other than that was as usual his nagging best short of a length stuff.. and towards the end got a bit of swing too..he's showed us so far that when the batsmen just want to attack he isnt predictable and therefore can be read easily

Symonds - was our worse bowler, they played him well and sometimes u cant do much more in this game.. will have better days

Clarke - first over shaky, lots of full tosses that KP/Flintoff cashed in.. almost got KP out first ball..second over much better...slided them in and thats where he is most effective.. like a Jayasuriya
Will be very important for us later on and with him and Roy we can afford to ditch Watto and play Hodge and have more depth in the batting

The 4 main seamers have good slower balls now too

of course i dont wanna get too carried away.. Englands batsmen werent that good at all.. Bangers may be a harder prospect with Ashraful/Tamim/Aftab etc. tbh

Mermaidman

Cricket Spectator
Do you remember when bumble was on commentary and he said after the camera was on Symonds he said "Oh no, look who's next it's not fair" :laugh:

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Anyways back on topic, re: the Zim match. I can't see what Australia should have been so embarrassed about, the batsmen tried to smack from the get go, it didn't pay off and that's it. Especially for a team new to the format and watching WI-SA the night before, it wasn't so disgraceful. They took a risk, it didn't pay off and that was that. Zimbabwe were good enough to make them pay and credit to them. It's a shame that they beat the best side in the world and couldn't go through though.

Re the England match, I thought everything was superb in the first innings. The fielding was great and aggressive, the bowling was intelligent especially from Johnson who was great as was Bracken as always. Ponting's captaincy was top notch as well. The batsmen did their jobs well also.

I think the loss to Zimbabwe was pretty unfortunate for all the other sides as it really awoke the sleeping giant in a way, similar to the Tests after 2005 and the WC after the C-H series. Honestly, I didn't think we'd win before the tournament started as I thought the players would have been slightly complacent and not given that little bit extra to win a world championship, but now I think the exact opposite.

Re: Twenty20s, I still think they're dire in principle but I'm still enjoying this competition especially with some quite interesting matches played so far. Also I do quite enjoy the failed slogging/ caught in the deep type aspect quite abit. I've always enjoyed batting alot more than bowling in the other forms of cricket, but here I am enjoying backing the bowlers heaps, the underdogs so to speak.
I'll stand by my comments. I still have doubt over Ponting's captaincy. Like I said, I don't care what anyone says.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nice effort from the Australian seamers, Johnson and Bracken in particular. Nice to see Gilchrist make a few, he hasn't had much success in this form of the game thus far.

What's with the calls for Luke Wright to be dropped? Sure, he hasn't set the world alight but neither have the other England batsman.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
He just looked so out of his depth today though. Clueless.

Give Hilfenhaus a match please selectors. Clark's been alright, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think Ben's got more to offer.

pup11

International Coach
I really loved the way Ponting took a dig at KP and the English side reacting KP's comments "that he would love to send Australians home and embarrass them", Ponting said that it doesn't really matter what you say unless you can back it up on the field but after today's game they (England) are the one's who would be embarrassed!!