• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

GROUP B - Australia, England, Zimbabwe

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Sorry but who cares about Zim cricket?
Dire call. I don't think they should be playing test cricket anymore, nor ODIs, but I most certainly do care about Zim cricket, and so do the other Zim fans here - and most likely the non-Zim fans.

Their best players have left because their homes and lives have been pillaged
Which is exactly why it's so important that this next generation comes through and performs. They're pretty much all kids barring Brent; they will get better. Out of this generation of players, Zimbabwe haven't actually lost that many players - if this team stays together, it will get much better. It doesn't mean they should be playing tests and ODIs, but it certainly doesn't mean that no-one cares.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
indeed :) Lets hope we beat Zim by enough that even a small lost to Aus is enough :D
You mean you think you will lose to THIS Aussie side ??:-O

Kidding. :)

Australia showed a kind of arrogance in their approach as if just turning up would win it for them. They did not turn it off even after their own innings was over. By the time, Pontingrealised that they may ACTUALLY lose the match and the bowlers suddenly stopped pitching it up, it was a bit too late.

If the wake up call had come during or at the end of the Ayssie innings they would have still saved it. The Zimbabweans (barring Taylor to an extent) appeared to have next to no clue about playing back-of-c-langth to short bowling.

It was great I think that Zimbabwe won but I still feel Australia gave it away. Rustiness due to lack of cricket is a terrible excuse (offered by some in the commentary teams) for a professional team.

Julian87

State Captain
I don't know what I would do with this Aussie side. I'd like Clarke there just for his extra bowling option and in all seriousness they will probably bring Watson in for Haddin but imo, Watson offers nothing with the bat in this format and his bowling isn't enough to make the team. I don't like Hayden in this format either but I suppose there are no other options. And, I will probably get knocked about for this but I don't think it suits Hussey at all. I'd probaby look at:

1 Matt Hayden
2 Adam Gilchrist
3 Ricky Ponting
4 Brad Hodge
5 Andrew Symonds
6 Mike Hussey/Michael Clarke
7 Shane Watson
8 Brett Lee
9 Brad Hogg
10 Nathan Bracken
11 Stuart Clark

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
Most probably this zim team would have lost to aus in a test match or even an ODI match. but thanks to T20,we've got a cricket equivalent of west ham doing a double on man u last season (i dont know if its the apt analogy but i love bringing it up). so now with the first real upset we've got,which by the way was nothing alien to the traditional play of cricket we've known all these years, its critics can now take a hike as more nations can play this game who'll actually believe they're in within a chance to win this game with the big boys. And we wont mind that,would we?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
so now with the first real upset we've got,which by the way was nothing alien to the traditional play of cricket we've known all these years, its critics can now take a hike as more nations can play this game who'll actually believe they're in within a chance to win this game with the big boys. And we wont mind that,would we?
Except having more teams be competitive is not a goal in and of itself. Obviously it's great that Zimbabwe performed the way they did, particularly in the field where they were absolutely sensational, but I don't think the fact that weaker teams can be more competitive is really a selling point. We want teams like Zimbabwe to become better cricket teams and challenge the top test nations, not simply to create formats which bridge the cap in quality artificially.

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
Not to degrade any form of cricket but frankly myself,though being a born cricket fan,I dont watch any ODI or test matches fully when my country is not playing except some few ones. whereas i can watch any good t20 game.same is the case with millions. and i dont understand the nonsense that quality of cricket is reducing by T20. i mean why is defending an attempted yorker better than four off the bat over fine leg's head? and by the way you can witness both these shots in t20,whereas only the former in tests. i mean i like tests too,ashes 2005 was a revolution which excited everyone but how many exciting tests or odi's take place? also more teams,countries can bring more different players,culture,innovation in a quite quiet cricket world.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Can't believe I didn't put money on this, I was so tempted to just put $10 on it with a few others, but decided against it. Worst decision ever.

pup11

International Coach
I think the 5 month break for Australia was way too long, they looked rusty yesterday and adjusting to international cricket is never easy (after being away from it for such a long time) even if you are playing Zimbabwe, anyways to make matters worse i think tremendous amount of complacency was also on show by Australia yesterday their decision to bat first under overcast conditions was ridiculous they hardly gave any respect to Zimbabwean bowlers and they tried to manufacture shots out of nowhere.

Australia seriously needs to get back into the groove ASAP and in the game against England the pressure is seriously gonna be on them, so lets see how Ponting and his men fight back from this situation.

My Aussie side for the game against England would be :-
1.A.Gilchrist
2.B.Hodge
3.R.Ponting
4.M.Clarke
5.A.Symonds
6.M.Hussey
7.S.Watson
8.B.Hogg
9.B.Lee
10.S.Clark
11.N.Bracken

I don't think this format is made for Haydos so he should sitout, out of Hodge, Ponting and Clarke one guy needs to bat through the overs and rest of the batsmen can play their shots and be aggressive, bowling-wise i think its important to have Hogg in the side so Mitch may have to be dropped for that, but on second thoughts Watson won't be scoring too many runs at no.7 and he won't be taking too many wickets either so picking Johnson ahead of Watson won't be bad ploy either (strictly IMO).

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Get of Hayden's back. People were saying he wasn't a one day player 12 months ago, and he scores 1000+ runs and scores the fastest ever WC century. Keep writing him off, cause he'll come out and hit a big one next game. When will people learn, you never write of Matthew Hayden.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Get of Hayden's back. People were saying he wasn't a one day player 12 months ago, and he scores 1000+ runs and scores the fastest ever WC century. Keep writing him off, cause he'll come out and hit a big one next game. When will people learn, you never write of Matthew Hayden.
He's a real fighter and a massive hitter, no idea why someone would think he isn't made for this format.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
He's a real fighter and a massive hitter, no idea why someone would think he isn't made for this format.
Because most of the time he's a pretty slow and scratchy starter, especially on OD cricket. He seems to have rectified that during the WC, but even in his massive 190-whaterv not out against the Kiwi's he would've made 230 if he got to 50 at a run a ball.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Because most of the time he's a pretty slow and scratchy starter, especially on OD cricket. He seems to have rectified that during the WC, but even in his massive 190-whaterv not out against the Kiwi's he would've made 230 if he got to 50 at a run a ball.
If he doesn't get out and catches up later on the innings theres no real problem for me. 33 for 40 or a similar score to get yourself in 'the zone' isn't a problem when you can hit boundaries as well as Hayden can when he's in the mood.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Yeah but this is 20 over cricket, he doesn't have all that long to catch up.

I'll be the first to admit he proved me wrong in 50 over cricket but this is a different format and he needs to prove himself in it. Hopefully he does or I daresay this tournament is done for Australia.

pup11

International Coach
I think Haydos is a tremendous player and i am a big fan of his but T20 just doesn't look like his cup of tea, of course he might prove me wrong in the next game itself (and i would love it if that happens), but as things stand atm i don't see him doing too well in this format.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think Haydos is a tremendous player and i am a big fan of his but T20 just doesn't look like his cup of tea, of course he might prove me wrong in the next game itself (and i would love it if that happens), but as things stand atm i don't see him doing too well in this format.
You're judging this off 3 games at the most (I'm assuming 1) how is he any less suited to 20/20 than Adam Gilchrist? Hayden's average after 3 games is 30 @ 10 and Adam Gilchrist's is 69 @13.8 from 5.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
well done, zimboks. :)

I thought they were done the way it was raining after that 11th over. Went to sleep. How I wish I had stayed up? :(

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
I think the parallels are amazing. First ever World Cup game Zimbabwe beat Australia, first ever 20/20 World Cup game Zimbabwe beat Australia. A case of history repeating. We should have expected it tbh.
Brendan Taylor to coach England in 20 years time.