• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group A - India, England, Australia, West Indies

Dravid

International Captain
Gayle got man of the match. Don't think he deserved it. He did great all round but KP was the man for the MoM award.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dravid said:
Gayle got man of the match. Don't think he deserved it. He did great all round but KP was the man for the MoM award.
Gayle deserved to win a Man of the Match award IMO, if not for Pietersen's matchwinning knock. That said, England was cruising until Gayle stepped in the with ball.

Pietersen would have been my MoM, but no qualms about Gayle getting it.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Trescothick*
Strauss
Bell
Pietersen
Flintoff
Collingwood
Pothas/Read/Jones/Prior +
Dalyrumple
Mahmood
Harmison
Anderson

Ultimately, at full strength, our ODI side just needs rounding from the team today.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Jamee999 said:
Trescothick*
Strauss
Bell
Pietersen
Flintoff
Collingwood
Pothas/Read/Jones/Prior/Foster +
Dalyrumple
Mahmood
Harmison
Anderson

Ultimately, at full strength, our ODI side just needs rounding from the team today.
Throwing another name to the keeping hat. And Lewis over either Saj or Steve Wayward-Harmison. He's our Bradshaw.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Jamee999 said:
Trescothick*
Strauss
Bell
Pietersen
Flintoff
Collingwood
Dalyrumple
Mahmood
Harmison
Anderson

Strauss
Bell
Trescothick
Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff
Dalrymple
Giles
Lewis
Anderson

IMO.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Real quality knock from KP and he did his native country a real favour. South Africa would prefer the West Indies any day of the week over a possible tie with Australia (or even the homeboys India). Though the West Indies only have themselves to blame for the loss, three hundred was more than a just a distinct possibility and their new ball bowling was awful.

PY

International Coach
Jono said:
Look, there's no need to ruin my party. :p

In the end, all bets were paying >3 with Nafees paying >5, so they're all value.

Nafees needed a ton in his last knock to top score for Bangladesh and he did it. Pietersen then needed 89 in his last knock to top score and he did it. So that makes me very :happy:
How much did you actually place on them/win?

a massive zebra

International Captain
Scaly piscine said:
Well Lewis should be playing every game, that much is obvious. I do however think most of the problem lies with the batting, England have been knocked out of the CT because of their batting basically. ODIs are a batsman's game anyway so most of the responsibility does lie with them, unfortunately most of England's batsmen either lack a brain or don't seem to want to take responsibility or both.
Yes I would not disagree with anything you said there. There are at least three issues with our batting that require attention.

Firstly, a brief look at the makeup of some more successful teams, like Australia or India, will reveal that they have three or four power players (i.e. Gilchrist, Ponting, Symonds or Sehwag, Tendulkar and Dhoni) and a couple of nurdlers. England can boast just two such players (Pietersen & Flintoff), and if they fail we are reliant on less destructive players such as Bell or Collingwood who cannot hope to establish a total in excess of 300, which is badly needed to be competitive if we insist on selecting these profligate fast bowlers.

Secondly, Fletcher and co often select batsmen for ODI sides based on championship form alone, seemingly oblivious to the fact that the demands of the two games vary considerably. A prime example of this is Yardy, who has looked totally out of his depth as a batsman in his ODI career so far, hardly surprising when one considers that he has never made a century and averages barely 20 in a 100 match OD career with Sussex. One can only imagine he was picked as a reward for runs scored in the championship - I highly doubt bowling considerations secured his selection as he hardly bowls for Sussex in either form of the game.

Thirdly, the team has suffered from poor analysis of conditions. England never seem to know what the right total to aim for is in any given match they bat first in.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Hakon, a list of the top wickettakers gives some idea of the players but it is far from a comprehensive analysis.

Rather than just top wickettakers, the below should be a more indepth look at potential players. It includes some and excludes other from the top wickettakers list.

The Criteria (based on 2006 Engish Season List A Averages)

- Av 1 or more wickets per game
- Economy rate of less than 5
- Average of less than 25
- Min 5 games
- At least one 4 or 5 wicket haul in the season

English Qualified that Fulfil the Above Criteria

RJ Kirtley
JTA Bruce
GJ Batty
MCJ Ball
CB Keegan
DG Cork
G Chapple
J Lewis
TJ Phillips
AJ Harris
CT Peploe
DS Harrison
MA Ealham
CT Tremlett

The attached thumbnail includes additional data such as age, bowling style and career List A average

Interestingly the below all have career averages below 25.
RJ Kirtley
JTA Bruce
CB Keegan
TJ Phillips
CT Peploe
CT Tremlett

Fair to say that Kirtley and Tremlett need to be given due consideration. Both are ahead of Plunkett and Saj, in my opinion.

Attachments

Last edited:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
tbf Mahmood's domestic List A record for this year (which is what should be considered when comparing these players) is 9 wickets@13.22 with an ER of 3.79 from 5 games

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
tbf Mahmood's domestic List A record for this year (which is what should be considered when comparing these players) is 9 wickets@13.22 with an ER of 3.79 from 5 games
Ah but his season List A is

SI Mahmood__12__79.2__6__440__16__27.50__3-16__-__-__29.7__5.54__LANCS/ENG

Average of 27.5 @ 5.5 per over.

Fair enough that the England games affect his record but they are still List A games. He still did not take 4 or more wickets in an innings (which most top bowlers did).

Mr Mxyzptlk

Goughy said:

Fair enough that the England games affect his record but they are still List A games. He still did not take 4 or more wickets in an innings (which most top bowlers did).
A little harsh, considering that those other bowlers didn't play more than half their games this season against Test class opposition.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy said:

All the other players you are comparing are based on purely domestic records, so why should you not compare that to Saj's purely domestic record?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
a massive zebra said:
Yes I would not disagree with anything you said there. There are at least three issues with our batting that require attention.

Firstly, a brief look at the makeup of some more successful teams, like Australia or India, will reveal that they have three or four power players (i.e. Gilchrist, Ponting, Symonds or Sehwag, Tendulkar and Dhoni) and a couple of nurdlers. England can boast just two such players (Pietersen & Flintoff), and if they fail we are reliant on less destructive players such as Bell or Collingwood who cannot hope to establish a total in excess of 300, which is badly needed to be competitive if we insist on selecting these profligate fast bowlers.

Secondly, Fletcher and co often select batsmen for ODI sides based on championship form alone, seemingly oblivious to the fact that the demands of the two games vary considerably. A prime example of this is Yardy, who has looked totally out of his depth as a batsman in his ODI career so far, hardly surprising when one considers that he has never made a century and averages barely 20 in a 100 match OD career with Sussex. One can only imagine he was picked as a reward for runs scored in the championship - I highly doubt bowling considerations secured his selection as he hardly bowls for Sussex in either form of the game.

Thirdly, the team has suffered from poor analysis of conditions. England never seem to know what the right total to aim for is in any given match they bat first in.
I don't think there's anything wrong with the makeup of England's batting lineup. Strauss is not a nurdler, Trescothick isn't and they both score quickly if they hang around, then you've got Flintoff and KP. It is not the case that they regularly bat out the overs but lose anyway, England get bowled out repeatedly (batting first particularly, I seem to recall they have a particularly awful stat with respect to getting bowled out in Asia) and that gives them virtually no chance of winning. England also have too many weak batting links, like other teams have a keeper who averages 30+, England have Read who's a walking wicket. Then there's Yardy who's done nicely as a bowler but has done nothing to suggest he's any better than a Giles with the bat.