• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group A - Australia, South Africa, Scotland, Holland

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
They key point being that they beat Australia in a five game series. Home or away, McGrath or no McGrath, that doesn't happen very often.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well - it doesn't ever happen at home, the only bilateral series in Australia (apart from the one in 1978\79 - which involved a second-string team due to the Packer Schism) have been 2nd Super Challenge series in 2002 and the Chappell-Hadlee series (the only one in Aus to date) in 2004\05, both of which were 3 games; there was also a 6-game-home-and-awayer against SA in 2000.

Aus have never played a 5-match bilateral series at home with a proper team; the last time they lost a 5-match series was 1995 in West Indies (though they did lose 3-2 in said SA h&a series), and only twice since then have they been beaten in any bilateral series at all - in said SA h&a series and by Pakistan in that Super Challenge 2002.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Well - it doesn't ever happen at home, the only bilateral series in Australia (apart from the one in 1978\79 - which involved a second-string team due to the Packer Schism) have been 2nd Super Challenge series in 2002 and the Chappell-Hadlee series (the only one in Aus to date) in 2004\05, both of which were 3 games; there was also a 6-game-home-and-awayer against SA in 2000.

Aus have never played a 5-match bilateral series at home with a proper team; the last time they lost a 5-match series was 1995 in West Indies (though they did lose 3-2 in said SA h&a series), and only twice since then have they been beaten in any bilateral series at all - in said SA h&a series and by Pakistan in that Super Challenge 2002.
see thats why i hate seeing australia win its just making cricket boing with the same one team always winning

Matt79

Global Moderator
Have to say I'm hoping they rest McGrath in favour of Tait for the matches against Scotland and Holland - quite looking forward to seeing the poor buggers trying to get in behind a 100mph snorter from Tait, before tackling the milder pace of Lee!

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
the matches against Scotland and Holland - quite looking forward to seeing the poor buggers trying to get in behind a 100mph snorter from Tait, before tackling the milder pace of Lee!
Ahem we're not a village team.....Who sayed the Scots couldn't play Tait or Lee.More 4 balls if you ask me.

Matt79

Global Moderator
It will be great viewing if they can do so. I seem to recall at the last world cup some of the minnows expressing a bit of concern at the prospect of facing up to Lee, admitting that they'd never faced anyone remotely of that pace. Tait is comfortably faster than Lee, so I'd assume its unlikely many of the Scottish team would have faced that kind of speed either.

If some of them do well, that will be great to see as well - always ready to cheer for an underdog.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Actually it will be interesting to see how the minnows cope with Lee (and Tait if he's picked). In 1999 the Scots had no idea how to play Akthar (they weren't the only ones). So it will be interesting if the extra matches the Scots have had against english counties since 2003 will help. I do think Hamilton, Brown and Blain for Scotland and ten Descarte and Zuiderent for Holland will cope better - that's the advantage of having experience in professional cricket. In 1999 Hamilton and Blain were far and away the best of the Scots (the same was true with Davidson and Canada in 2003) and its obvious why.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Have to say I'm hoping they rest McGrath in favour of Tait for the matches against Scotland and Holland - quite looking forward to seeing the poor buggers trying to get in behind a 100mph snorter from Tait, before tackling the milder pace of Lee!
Poor old Scotland already faced that in 1999 when the batsmen were trying to get down the other end to face the 90mph of Wasim and get away from the 96mph of Shoaib.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I don't see any reason why pace should be such an issue. I have seen league players cope with 85mph pace, let alone internaional level players. They might not have the same skill level, but I have all confidence that they can handle the pace.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He was up at 90mph in the 99WC?.
I certainly seem to recall so...

EDIT: fastest recorded deliveries of the 1999 WC:
Shoaib Akhtar: 96mph, 95mph, 94mph, 94mph, 92mph
Javagal Srinath: 93mph
Allan Donald: 92mph
Geoff Allott: 91mph
Jacques Kallis: 91mph
Glenn McGrath: 91mph
So no mention of him there, but I do seem to recall one in the SA-Pak game over 90... the speedster was only introduced in the Super Six, though, so it'd only be guessing how fast either Shoaib or Wasim were in that particular Scotland game...

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Then but not now.Tait is faster than Lee and was about the same average speed when Lee was playing in the 2003 WC.
No, now Lee is only capable of 91-92mph, Tait 95-6-7.

Lee in WC2003, the bone of contention, however, was bowling at 95-6-7mph of occasions, too.

kears_falcon_9

International Debutant
Tait is and has hit 160km/h (100ish m/h) I reckon if he gets a game over in the Carribean then he could well beat the World Record. (Hoping so anyway)

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I certainly seem to recall so...

EDIT: fastest recorded deliveries of the 1999 WC:
Shoaib Akhtar: 96mph, 95mph, 94mph, 94mph, 92mph
Javagal Srinath: 93mph
Allan Donald: 92mph
Geoff Allott: 91mph
Jacques Kallis: 91mph
Glenn McGrath: 91mph
So no mention of him there, but I do seem to recall one in the SA-Pak game over 90... the speedster was only introduced in the Super Six, though, so it'd only be guessing how fast either Shoaib or Wasim were in that particular Scotland game...
Not a chance, not a chance. Either the gun was dodgy, or there has been a mistake, because there is no way that McGrath reached 91mph.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It was the beginning of the era of non-dodgy guns.

I'm amazed that a clearly knowledgeable chap like you so often seems to think he knows better than a speedgun! McGrath may never have looked that quick but he was, at one time. It was the opposite with Pollock. He always looked pretty sharp but once he was timed we found-out he was nearly 10mph slower than Donald.

Speedguns are better judges of pace than the human eye!