• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group 2 (Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Netherlands)

Athlai

Not Terrible
Because if matches are played at the same time especially the final matches , then teams have less of an idea of what they need to do ..

For example yesterday England and Sri Lanka .. England had a huge advantage of knowing what they needed to do in the final game , Sri Lanka had nothing to play for because all the other games were completed ...The motivation has suddenly been compromised ..That's a big temptation to manipulate the result..

Really ? You think fixing India and Pakistan together every group game has not made it easier for the Black Market to get hold of matchday tickets ...

India vs Pakistan is the biggest white ball cricket game in cricket and it's guaranteed to happen every group stage game ... What could possibly go wrong ? If you look at cricketers who have been done for fixing they are players who have played at the highest level not even a decade ago , Lonwabo Tsotsobe , Mohammad Amir , Sharjeel Khan , Sreesanth etc ...If these guys can fix anyone can fix .
Anyone can fix isn't the same as everyone is fixing ffs.

Spark

Global Moderator
Because if matches are played at the same time especially the final matches , then teams have less of an idea of what they need to do ..

For example yesterday England and Sri Lanka .. England had a huge advantage of knowing what they needed to do in the final game , Sri Lanka had nothing to play for because all the other games were completed ...The motivation has suddenly been compromised ..That's a big temptation to manipulate the result..

Really ? You think fixing India and Pakistan together every group game has not made it easier for the Black Market to get hold of matchday tickets ...

India vs Pakistan is the biggest white ball cricket game in cricket and it's guaranteed to happen every group stage game ... What could possibly go wrong ? If you look at cricketers who have been done for fixing they are players who have played at the highest level not even a decade ago , Lonwabo Tsotsobe , Mohammad Amir , Sharjeel Khan , Sreesanth etc ...If these guys can fix anyone can fix .
Wait are you seriously suggesting that not scheduling matches at the same time, i.e. scheduling any sporting event 101 to make sure that, you know, people don't have to choose between which game they want to watch on TV, is match fixing?

That's a, uh, dubious proposition tstl.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Match fixing typically occurs for games and markets the bookies aren't going to get completely owned by natural public interest (ie finals or world cups), they also tend to target low paid players who are often relatively closer to the end of their big earning days.

Right now we have a tournament with huge eyes on it, full of players that hope to get million dollar IPL contracts regardless of who they play for.

Not to mention the relative difficulty of match fixing vs spot fixing in terms of how many people need to be involved.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah the really big targets for match-fixing would be the mid-tier franchise leagues, there have been plenty of interesting stories coming out of the BPL and PSL etc. Not big enough to have the immense media scrutiny which deters more small-time fixers, but big enough to attract real gambling money, and televised.

Athlai

Not Terrible
But yeah let's trust Sunilz mate who has somehow managed to predict a India vs Pakistan final as if that isn't the most wishful thinking concept you'd ever get from someone in the subcontinent.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah the really big targets for match-fixing would be the mid-tier franchise leagues, there have been plenty of interesting stories coming out of the BPL and PSL etc. Not big enough to have the immense media scrutiny which deters more small-time fixers, but big enough to attract real gambling money, and televised.
Those couple of seasons when they tried to make the Zimbabwe T20 an actual thing were totally ****ed as well.

Spark

Global Moderator
Those couple of seasons when they tried to make the Zimbabwe T20 an actual thing were totally ****ed as well.
I mean despite what I said, I don't think the IPL is anywhere near clean either, I view a major corruption scandal there as semi-inevitable and once that happens, it'll be interesting to see what all these big-money American sports capital firms who are the ones pouring all this money into the long-term expansion of the franchise model do.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I mean despite what I said, I don't think the IPL is anywhere near clean either, I view a major corruption scandal there as semi-inevitable and once that happens, it'll be interesting to see what all these big-money American sports capital firms who are the ones pouring all this money into the long-term expansion of the franchise model do.
Yeah but even in the IPL it seems farcically unlikely that there would be a conspiracy from multiple teams to set up a particular finals.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah but even in the IPL it seems farcically unlikely that there would be a conspiracy from multiple teams to set up a particular finals.
Oh yeah, it's a ludicrous risk for not that much reward compared to more discreet spot fixing and the amount of money that would net you.

The amount of money that it would net you is absolutely obscene though. You would be unbelievably naive not to think that there a lot of people trying constantly to sneak in a bit of spot fixing here and there and, well, how much does anyone actually trust the anti-corruption measures put in place there?