• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ground Watch

Athlai

Not Terrible
Safe to say that first games crowd was a poor showing and sounds like a real **** up adminwise.

May as well have called it Modi's Ego

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Good thread.

Can anyone from India, or PEWS who knows everything about everywhere, explain to me how we get to a situation where a cricketing-mad country builds a 130,000 seat stadium, hosts a World Cup for the first time in 12 years, and no one turns up? Is it price? Location? Apathy? What the **** is going on? Because there's not another sport in the world where you'd have a World Cup and a crowd that **** turns up, let alone in a stadium that size. I know it doesn't involve the home team, but that wouldn't be relevant in a football, rugby World Cup, whatever it is. And no one can tell me it's the format, either - I doubt 20,000 more turn up if it was T20.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Thats a very good crowd in the end. Looked like 3/4 of them arrived once the sun went down but I'd say its close to a record for a non host nation group game. Australia 2015 would have had more in games involving Pakistan or india

swede

School Boy/Girl Captain
great crowd. Hopefully it goes on like that to speed up the end of the worst of tournaments and the worst of formats.

Athlai

Not Terrible
They gave away 40k tickets away for free too. No chance in hell there were 47k at the game either.

Shambles.

swede

School Boy/Girl Captain
Truly, 47k? Wow, didn't look or sound like it
perhaps they all arrived late. Like that mcg game decades ago when Shane Warne in a helmet had to calm an angry crowd that had skipped the first six hours of boredom before arriving for a chase that then didnt happen.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Good thread.

Can anyone from India, or PEWS who knows everything about everywhere, explain to me how we get to a situation where a cricketing-mad country builds a 130,000 seat stadium, hosts a World Cup for the first time in 12 years, and no one turns up? Is it price? Location? Apathy? What the **** is going on? Because there's not another sport in the world where you'd have a World Cup and a crowd that **** turns up, let alone in a stadium that size. I know it doesn't involve the home team, but that wouldn't be relevant in a football, rugby World Cup, whatever it is. And no one can tell me it's the format, either - I doubt 20,000 more turn up if it was T20.
@Burgey

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I think there is some truth to suggestion that people earlier in the day were sitting further back (in the shade in the blue seats, which they blend into) rather than in the orange seats in the front half. And that more people arrived as the match went on.

Still, the organisation sounds terrible and it's a dreadful look to have all those orange seats so obviously empty for most of the match.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I think there is some truth to suggestion that people earlier in the day were sitting further back (in the shade in the blue seats, which they blend into) rather than in the orange seats in the front half. And that more people arrived as the match went on.

Still, the organisation sounds terrible and it's a dreadful look to have all those orange seats so obviously empty for most of the match.
I dont think 15-25k is that bad a turnout in isolation but the whole organisation was a **** up

ataraxia

International Coach
I thought the speed guns looked surprisingly accurate for once.
Yeah there was a Wood bouncer which beat Conway, according to the commentators, for pace. The speedo recorded 129.6kph lol, so I figured the option-choosing interns went for the lowest value to reflect the game momentum. Or, like, they're actually accurate.

Molehill

International Captain
I guess Netherlands v Pakistan in Hyderabad was never going to see a huge turnout, but we have another stadium that is surely less than 5% full.

Shady Slim

International Coach
1696581019694.png
so this is just flagrant and unacceptable racism (nonflagrant racism is also unacceptable so take this as a hendiadys) but what's this stadium meme going around the traps? i was out at dinner last night and haven't really been following the politics of stadia in the lead up so would appreciate tldr

Tec15

First Class Debutant
Another day, another totally empty stadium. BCCI should never host another tournament ever again, but you know....