• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Test Cricketer Ever (from 1900)

Greatest Test Cricketer

• Sir Donald Bradman

• Sir Garfield Sobers

• Imran Khan

• Other (please list)

Results are only viewable after voting.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Suprised this has never been done, or at least that I could find.

Couple notes... expect this to be a runaway for Bradman and also not to be predictive of who no 2 is, but that can always be done at a later date.

Cheers

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh, and can we all try to not denigrate one to promote the other, all three are among the very upper pantheon of the game.

Bradman of course, the best player ever. Averaged Twice as much as McCabe and Ponsford which is ridiculous. Also, 40 more than everyone including Hammond, Headley, Nourse, Sutcliffe etc.

Sobers though is arguably sports greatest genius and as good as any top player of any other sports. Just that Bradman happened to play cricket.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I've heard Bradman, Miller and Chappelli refer to Sobers as the greatest ever.

I don't believe Bradman was twice as good as he was, nor 1.75 as I saw someone post in another thread. He was a top 4 batsman ever and that was with a self-imposed over burdened work load with the ball.

Not only was he an elite slip fielder, he was also placed where ever the ball was likely to go, be that leg slip or short leg for the spinners.

With the ball he was filled every role from opening the bowling with his swinging fast medium, filling the stock bowler role, to bowling both orthodox and wrist spin..

He was a freak.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
We all know that it's Sir Don and if we act like he doesn't exists (like we do on most drafts) then it's clearly Sobers. I think the poll should had been of All Time and included W G Grace, the only other cricketer arguably miles ahead of anyone else of his time (the only other batsmen so clearly above their competitors, I think a case can only be made for Jack Hobbs and probably Ranjitsinhji).

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bradman of course, the best player ever. Averaged Twice as much as McCabe and Ponsford which is ridiculous. Also, 40 more than everyone including Hammond, Headley, Nourse, Sutcliffe etc.

Sobers though is arguably sports greatest genius and as good as any top player of any other sports. Just that Bradman happened to play cricket.
McCabe is insanely overrated. Averaged 48 in the flattest era of all time. Reputation built on the back of one knock in a high scoring draw. He's really Samaraweera but from the 30s. Somebody like Richie Richardson who doesn't get mentioned very often is a vastly better player.

Anyway, it's obviously Bradman.

McCabe is insanely overrated. Averaged 48 in the flattest era of all time. Reputation built on the back of one knock in a high scoring draw. He's really Samaraweera but from the 30s. Somebody like Richie Richardson who doesn't get mentioned very often is a vastly better player.

Anyway, it's obviously Bradman.
One Knock?? McCabe played 3 of them. 2000s have a higher average than 1930s and take Bradman’s average away and 1930s have similar averages to 1970s.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One Knock?? McCabe played 3 of them. 2000s have a higher average than 1930s and take Bradman’s average away and 1930s have similar averages to 1970s.
3 decent knocks don't make an ATG batsman. An average of 48 in era where the best average 60+ doesn't either. Taking out the Don entirely is stupid even if he has a disproportionate effect on averages. But objectively McCabe is just some guy who had a couple of flashy innings and was no more than a good batsman in en easy era.

3 decent knocks don't make an ATG batsman. An average of 48 in era where the best average 60+ doesn't either. Taking out the Don entirely is stupid even if he has a disproportionate effect on averages. But objectively McCabe is just some guy who had a couple of flashy innings and was no more than a good batsman in en easy era.
I don’t think McCabe is a ATG but a ATVG. And to be able to average twice as much as McCabe, who most definitely makes any Cricket Team in history is insanity.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Imran - greatest all rounder ever, and one of the best ever captains to play cricket. Given how many players took him as a role model and succeeded, there is not much competition here.