• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Fast bowler of this century after McGrath/ Steyn ?

3rd Best pace bowler of this century?

• Total voters

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cummins has that rare aura about him where every single time he bowls you expect him to be brilliant, because he pretty much always is. He's not quite regularly run through teams like Ambrose/Steyn going full crazy eyes, but he's one of the most shockingly consistent cricketers I've ever seen. The longevity argument matters less for bowlers who don't quite have the same variance batsmen do (who all go through extended runs of great/mediocre form). Cummins isn't going to start averaging 35 all of a sudden unless he has some Waqar like injury.

Reasonably confident he's among the top 5 best quick bowlers I've seen.

Last edited:

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Cummins has that rare aura about him where every single time he bowls you expect him to be brilliant, because he pretty much always is. He's not quite regularly run through teams like Ambrose/Steyn going full crazy eyes, but he's one of the most shockingly consistent cricketers I've ever seen. The longevity argument matters less for bowlers who don't quite have the same variance batsmen do (who all go through extended runs of great/mediocre form). Cummins isn't suddenly going to start averaging 35 all of a sudden unless he has some Waqar like injury.

oooo good shout. of those i've seen i'd happily rate ambrose, mcgrath, steyn and wasim above him.

a toss up between pat and donald. think cummins is better than waqar.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Cummins has that rare aura about him where every single time he bowls you expect him to be brilliant, because he pretty much always is. He's not quite regularly run through teams like Ambrose/Steyn going full crazy eyes, but he's one of the most shockingly consistent cricketers I've ever seen. The longevity argument matters less for bowlers who don't quite have the same variance batsmen do (who all go through extended runs of great/mediocre form). Cummins isn't going to start averaging 35 all of a sudden unless he has some Waqar like injury.

Yeah, you expect him to be serviceable and not harm the team's cause even on his off days. High floor, higher ceiling, he's always going to be ranging from good to great.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year

"Relentless excellence" is the term I've often used for Cummins and I see no reason not to stick with it.

sphynx

U19 Debutant
It's Cummins.

Likely ends up with 400+ test wickets after missing almost 6 years of his tear away best and comes back with these sorts of performances.

Very likely he'd be on 350+ test wickets right now without his injuries and would be staring down McGrath, Anderson and Broad's tally's.

He's still going to finish one of the absolute ATG but his injuries will prevent him being a 600+ wicket taker.

I imagine he's going to probably play a similar amount of tests as Steyn when he retires, so will be interesting to see how the two compare at the very end.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Poll is an absolute shambles mate. Where's my man Big Phil?

Had more Tests played than all the guys above him in average too, except for McGrath.

subshakerz

International Coach
If there is one knock on Cummins, and it barely counts as a knock, it's that it doesn't feel like he singlehandedly annihilates teams in the way Steyn at his best used to. But a lot of it is purely down to the quality of the attack he's in; rare that he's the lone hand. Mind you it's not as if Steyn had members of the 90s Wheel of Mediocrity trundling in at the other end.
Also doesnt help that Cummins bowls first change often.

Cummins needs at least 100 more wickets plus another big series in Asia along with some standout spells before he can talked about as approaching Steyn level, much less McGrath.

Even then I would wait until end of his career ends before rating him in the ladder because he may have a dip at the end.

Last edited:

Johan

U19 12th Man
Anderson and Steyn are the best of this century for sure , Cummins will overtake them , Rabada really needs to prove himself in Asia if he wanna get there.

bagapath

International Captain
Rabada is my favourite
Find him more capable of single handed destruction than anyone else on the list

Kirkut

International Regular
If there is one knock on Cummins, and it barely counts as a knock, it's that it doesn't feel like he singlehandedly annihilates teams in the way Steyn at his best used to. But a lot of it is purely down to the quality of the attack he's in; rare that he's the lone hand. Mind you it's not as if Steyn had members of the 90s Wheel of Mediocrity trundling in at the other end.
That 36 all out and some of his spells against England come to my mind.

Maybe he's yet to bowl the sort of spell Scott Boland would bowl in 4th innings on a seamy road.