• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Ever One Day XI

JBH001

International Regular
Agreed lol!

Great posts Francis (both your first and second XI's). I really enjoyed reading them.
I would also concur with Anil, Evermind, please dont start that up again - the last thing we need is kaz0 and CC at it again, derailing the thread. Not that its not entertaining, mind you! :D I would take Anwar's ODI perfomances with a grain of salt tbh, and would contest his inclusion in an all-time 1/2/3 ODI XI. Much as I used to love him bat, his ODI batting stats (from recollection) are heavily weighted toward home perfomances. IIRC, its something like 50 avg at home and sub 30 avg away from home. I find it hard to account for this discrepancy as his test avg of 45 is more or less equivelant, home and away.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Murali: 293 2652.2 10195 444 7/30 5/9 22.96 3.84 35.8 11 8
Warne: 194 1773.4 7541 293 5/33 4/19 25.73 4.25 36.3 12 1

Murali's better in every department. He's clearly the superior ODI bowler: no idea why Warne is favoured by so many people here.

And the whole "Warne is greatest spinner to have ever lived" is such bull****.
If you have no idea you should ask someone who does. Or better yet, try and look through the comparison with a different view.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
What you mean Green and Gold tinted spectacles?

For the record, I would pick Warne over Murali in ODI's because of his all round strength, but I fail to see how if you're looking purely at the numbers as posted you can say Warne's are better.

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
For the record, I would pick Warne over Murali in ODI's because of his all round strength, but I fail to see how if you're looking purely at the numbers as posted you can say Warne's are better.
Seconded! Warne can bat a hell of alot better

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Well there is Sanath Jayasuria...

I would have him in for Waugh if I were in your position.
No way! Waugh scored centuries at a much faster rate per match and gets the easy nod over Jayasuria. Sanath is helped by the longevity of his career, and ODI's are played more often these days. Don't let Sanath's great form confuse you, he's had plenty of dry patches, as much as he's had brilliant patches like recently and at the 1996 world cup.

As for bowling, I don't rate him highly as a bowler... Bevan and Waugh can both bowl part time in my team, even if I think Sanath's bowling is a little better than both of the,.

Evermind

International Debutant
Well I wasn't aware there was a great Warne vs Murali debate, but for me, the numbers explain themselves, and watching them bowl, there's no question that Murali is the better spinner. Warne included for all-round strength is fair enough, but it's nonsensical to even debate who's the more successful bowler in ODIs. There's simply NO comparison.

Then again, there're people who say Ponting is the greatest batsman ever (after Bradman 8-) ) and the McGrath the best fast bowler that ever lived, so...yeah.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
What you mean Green and Gold tinted spectacles?

No dear marc, not through green and gold tinted spectacles but putting value on different measures to greatness. Sorry, I missed something important in the initial post I was replying to. Yes, Murali is one of the greatest ODI bowlers ever and better than Warne. But tests are different.

Last edited: