• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Bowler

Greatest Bolwer of All

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
This guy is an old friend of CW - he'll be gone when PEWS catches up with him so I suggest nobody risks getting infracted in the meantime
Welcome back SobersNo1. We'd missed you and your insights in to the game.

watson

Banned
Courtney Walsh a better bowler than McGrath or Garner? And on equal footing with Marshall?
IMO Differences in player rankings are generally determined on how much weight is given to the following categories by the person performing the ranking;

1. 'Great'
2. 'Best'
3. 'Direct' Stat's like Average or Strike Rate
4. 'Indirect' Stat's like Longevity

Obviously if you value 'Longevity' then this will increase the 'Greatness' of Courtney Walsh. And of course, if 'Greatness' is valued more than 'Best' then Walsh will climb the rankings and appear in the Top 5.

Personally, I prefer 'Best' and 'Direct' Stat's, but there is no right or wrong here.

Red

Courtney Walsh is terribly under-appreciated. Brilliant quick bowler.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Walsh always did dirty work for his more illustrious colleagues. While Ambrose and Marshall bowled most of there balls up to the batsmen to get wickets, Walsh was made to intimidate batsmen by bowling persistently short at them.

Red

Walsh always did dirty work for his more illustrious colleagues. While Ambrose and Marshall bowled most of there balls up to the batsmen to get wickets, Walsh was made to intimidate batsmen by bowling persistently short at them.
Really? That's not how I remember him, although I was a kid at the time.

I always remember him as a very accurate off stump type bowler, bowling in to the wind while Ambrose bowled with it. Always seemed to have one of the best personalities as well. Seemed like a happy guy.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Really? That's not how I remember him, although I was a kid at the time.

I always remember him as a very accurate off stump type bowler, bowling in to the wind while Ambrose bowled with it. Always seemed to have one of the best personalities as well. Seemed like a happy guy.
Yup, could be aggressive at times but he replaced Garner for the most part as the into the wind work horse stock bowler.

the big bambino

International Captain
Look Walsh was alright but there's a reason he lived in Ambrose's shadow. I remember a tight series in 96/97 when an injury to Ambrose gave us the break we were looking for. All of a sudden the series was busted wide open. No pressure and with Walsh leading the attack - well lets just say he looked all alone and badly out numbered. Same with Bishop.

Walsh did the dirty work bcos he wasn't good enough to be the lead man. Can't help but feel he was made to look good associated with a group of glamour fast bowlers. Longevity is admirable but lets not parlay it into greatness.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Look Walsh was alright but there's a reason he lived in Ambrose's shadow. I remember a tight series in 96/97 when an injury to Ambrose gave us the break we were looking for. All of a sudden the series was busted wide open. No pressure and with Walsh leading the attack - well lets just say he looked all alone and badly out numbered. Same with Bishop.

Walsh did the dirty work bcos he wasn't good enough to be the lead man. Can't help but feel he was made to look good associated with a group of glamour fast bowlers. Longevity is admirable but lets not parlay it into greatness.
Yes Walsh was great, not in the same league as the other gentlemen being mentioned. He did get better with age though, which was amazing.

Red

I rate what you post generally, but this seems a bit OTT to me. Walsh was a great fast bowler.