• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graham Thorpe vs Shivnarine Chanderpaul

Graham Thorpe vs Shivnarine Chanderpaul

• Thorpe

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Chanderpaul

Votes: 25 80.6%

• Total voters

Jayro

U19 12th Man
Who was a better bat till the time when the batting suddenly became overly batsman friendly for a good while resulting in huge boosts in batsmens averages? They both debuted around 93 with Thorpe retired in 2005 and than erupted a different era of batting friendly pitches.

BazBall21

International Regular
I did an article a couple of months ago on why I think Graham Thorpe is the most underrated England cricketer of all time. Overseas, he averaged a few runs more than Chanderpaul against better than median attacks. Shiv though was a fantastic player too and has a bigger volume of work.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Thorpe was a fine fine player. I remember his brilliant 200 which is often forgotten from the Astle 222 match. Chanderpaul, for all his faults (perceived or genuine) was an ATG who spent quite a lot of time ranked no 1 batter in the world despite playing for an absolutely atrocious batting lineup.

subshakerz

International Coach
Thorpe was a fine fine player. I remember his brilliant 200 which is often forgotten from the Astle 222 match. Chanderpaul, for all his faults (perceived or genuine) was an ATG who spent quite a lot of time ranked no 1 batter in the world despite playing for an absolutely atrocious batting lineup.
We need to build a consensus around the term ATG. Calling Chanders an ATG makes me wince.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
We need to build a consensus around the term ATG. Calling Chanders an ATG makes me wince.
I'd say member of 10,000 club, average of 51, more test 100s than Bradman (could've easily got 10+ more 100s in a better batting lineup or even a decent tail), and substantial time at no1 is enough to be an ATG. He was a level ahead of the likes of Clarke, Hussey, Jayawardene, KP who were ATVG.
Of the players post Sobers, he would be the 3rd best no 5/6 behind Border and S Waugh.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One of the best test centuries I’ve ever seen came from the bat of Thorpe. A gritty knock it was…and it was against us.

I believe Chanderpaul was also in this match

Flem274*

123/5
I like Thorpe but Chanderpaul is better and it isn't close unless you're a salty nichelord nerd on the internet who refuses to admit your biases against slow scoring are wrong and it must be the player who carried his side for a decade who is wrong and bad actually.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Playing for one of the poorer sides on the circuit for the majority of his career likely restricted “match-winning” performances. While cricket is a team sport that places a reasonably strong importance on the performance of individuals, you do ultimately need your bowling attack to take twenty wickets to win a Test Match
Could say the same about Habibul Bashar

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Thorpe is very underrated. He was the best English bat for a while and the way he played Murali was exceptional.
One of the reasons for Murali to convert the over spinner in to a doosra, that spins in to a left hander.