• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Global T20 Canada

cnerd123

likes this
Babar Hayat gets MOTM after scoring 65 as the Vancouver Knights chase down 162 against the Winnipeg Hawks. W00t! #HKProud

Engle

State Vice-Captain
In Brisbane that's a Tuesday in spring.
In Toronto, it could feel as hot as 45 C on Saturday, once the humidex is factored in.

“What we’re seeing in parts of central Ontario are probably very close to record amounts of humidex,” said David Phillips, senior climatologist from Environment Canada, noting Canada Day revelers on Parliament Hill in Ottawa could witness the hottest July 1 in 55 years.
The humidex, which describes how hot and humid the weather feels for the average person, is expected to be higher in some places than it has been in years.

Jack1

International Debutant
The main problem with these t20 leagues is does anyone really care who wins it? I don't particularly apart from the IPL I take closer interest. They feel like exhibition games and I'm surprised the players get paid what they do when it's really just like club cricket. Hate to be so cynical, but international t20 is a lot more important to me along with ODIs (obviously) and Tests (obviously). Still I don't mind following a few and checking scorecards to see how individuals are performing against each other. But that's only as I'm interested in the carry over it might have into internationals to be honest.

cnerd123

likes this
Who wins or loses isn't the point

The point is to create a sustainable market for the sport within a country not normally associated with it.

Places like Hong Kong, Canada, UAE, etc are not raking in those million dollar broadcasting deals or those big name sponsorships. They aren't even playing in the World Cup.

Tournaments like this give exposure to the sport within the country, the local players get to rub shoulders with international pros, social media and forums talk about it, news websites cover it, sponsors invest in the event, and at the end of the day it's a win win win. Even if the home board doesn't make a lot of money, they have taken a big step towards raising the profile of the sport in the country, thus hopefully attracting further investment and participation in it in the future.

Like I said earlier - if you claim to love Cricket, you'll throw your support behind events like this, instead of snobbishly turning your nose up against it. What kind of cricket fan does not want to see the sport grow?

Jack1

International Debutant
Who wins or loses isn't the point

The point is to create a sustainable market for the sport within a country not normally associated with it.

Places like Hong Kong, Canada, UAE, etc are not raking in those million dollar broadcasting deals or those big name sponsorships. They aren't even playing in the World Cup.

Tournaments like this give exposure to the sport within the country, the local players get to rub shoulders with international pros, social media and forums talk about it, news websites cover it, sponsors invest in the event, and at the end of the day it's a win win win. Even if the home board doesn't make a lot of money, they have taken a big step towards raising the profile of the sport in the country, thus hopefully attracting further investment and participation in it in the future.

Like I said earlier - if you claim to love Cricket, you'll throw your support behind events like this, instead of snobbishly turning your nose up against it. What kind of cricket fan does not want to see the sport grow?
Yes I agree, I'm just saying. I still take interest even though I don't really care who wins deep down. Suppose it's a good exhibition of cricket and showing it off entertainment wise.

The world cup thing..ICC's own doing obvious ruining the 50 over world cup limiting the teams to 10. I think if expanding the game globally is a priority the WC should already 16 teams minimum at this point and the Qualifying tournament 16 teams too. That would boost the game globally quite a lot too.

cnerd123

likes this
Cricket in the Olympics would help so much too. And in the Asian Games and Commonwealth Games. Sigh.

Jack1

International Debutant
Cricket in the Olympics would help so much too. And in the Asian Games and Commonwealth Games. Sigh.
Be good to get it in even with a 10 over slog format or something like 12 overs. It's ridiculous football is in the olympics and not cricket.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's ridiculous football is in the olympics and not cricket.
No one other than Australia actually plays it football though. Unless you mean American football in which case pretty much the same story but only America play it to any decent standard. Either way it wouldn't be that competitive.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In Toronto, it could feel as hot as 45 C on Saturday, once the humidex is factored in.

“What we’re seeing in parts of central Ontario are probably very close to record amounts of humidex,” said David Phillips, senior climatologist from Environment Canada, noting Canada Day revelers on Parliament Hill in Ottawa could witness the hottest July 1 in 55 years.
The humidex, which describes how hot and humid the weather feels for the average person, is expected to be higher in some places than it has been in years.
The *average* high temp in Brisbane is 29 in January, with 72% humidity. That's 39 on the Humidex calculator. We regularly hit 33-35 degrees over this time (33 @ 72% is 47, 35 @ 72% is 52).

The problem that Canada has is that you've built all your houses to keep the heat in, so 30 degrees there feels like 40 here. And people don't know how to dress appropriately.

I once visited Scotland and one of the hostel owners I talked to on my stay was complaining about the current heat wave. It was 24 degrees. He was wearing a vest and singlet. No wonder he was bloody hot.

Borges

International Regular
It's ridiculous football is in the olympics and not cricket.
No. Football is a true global sport; cricket isn't. Cricket is a sport in which only ten teams are considered good enough to play in its World Cup.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Is Cricket even a thing in Canada?
" The earliest known reference to cricket in Canada is of matches played at Ile-Ste-Helene in the Province of Quebec in the year 1785 on the site where the Montreal Exposition buildings now stand. Historical records do not divulge when cricket was first played in Canada, but it is generally assumed that the game was introduced into the country by British soldiers following the historic battle at the Plains of Abraham near Quebec City, between the armies of General Wolfe and General Montcalm in 1759.
In the year 1844, Canada and the United States of America met in their first international at the St.George’s Club in New York on the site where the New York University Medical Centre is now located. This was over thirty years before the famed England versus Australia series began and historians believe the contest is the oldest international sporting fixture in the world.
The 1975 Canadian season produced the sensation of the decade when Eastern Canada defeated the touring Australian World Cup side led by Ian Chappell at Toronto by five wickets. Hero of the Eastern Canadian victory in this one-day match was Ontario batsman Franklyn Dennis who scored a fighting 57 not out against the Australian attack of Dennis Lillee, Max Walker and Allan Hurst."

Engle

State Vice-Captain
The problem that Canada has is that you've built all your houses to keep the heat in, so 30 degrees there feels like 40 here. And people don't know how to dress appropriately.
When it gets as hot/humid, people stay indoors where it is air-conditioned.
Canada is a country with one of the largest bodies for lakes which affects humidity.
Also, there is variation of extreme weather. Just in April, we had blizzards, ice-pellets, freezing rain.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I like it when Australians claim a sort of monopoly on ''hot weather'', as if it doesn't get hot elsewhere in the world.