• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Glenn Maxwell- What are CWs thoughts on this article?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, we're getting to the point now where the reverse sweep isn't a novelty T20 shot; guys like Maxwell have had it for their entire professional careers (or close enough) as a genuine runscoring shot, not a Mark Waugh "lol I'm on 100 and the team is safe better reverse sweep it for the lulz" type thing. They practice it, they know when to use it, and it's fundamentally no different to a cover drive or a regular sweep shot in that sense.

As Riggins says, Maxwell shouldn't be playing either a cover drive or a reverse sweep in that situation; he should be defending and building an innings from there. He should be criticised for not doing that -- not the fact that the irresponsible shot he was dismissed from just so happened to be a reverse sweep.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
his thinking is the problem. no captain is gonna be dumb enough to take out the short legs when the other team is chasing 600

cnerd123

likes this
Really tho...blaming Maxwell seems off. He backs his attacking game more than his defensive one. He felt he could survive longer by taking the bowlers on instead of blocking them. That's the way he has always played cricket, and as far as I am aware he has never made any pretensions to being anything else. He is who he is. The mistake lies with the selectors for thinking he was capable of batting at 3 in Test cricket, simple as that.

cnerd123

likes this
Hey, not saying he's a good player, he's ****, but he didn't ask to be selected in the Test side. He never said he'd be a good Test Number 3. He hasn't gone and scored tons of runs at number 3 in FC cricket and made a case for his selection in that spot. He's not Twatto who has whinged about not getting selected or getting the role he wants or that he'll play any role for Australia.

He's just a merry T20 slogger who somehow wound up in the Test side. His failures are the selector's failures. He's just playing the way he knows how to.

watson

Banned
The article highlights the rather mundane fact that each and every generation tends to complain about the preceding generation and how woeful it is. Nothing more than that.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Have a look at Maxwell's first class career. Basically all of his big scores have come when he's been stuck on a start with the tail, so had license to go nuts - and he does. His scores vs NSW last year a perfect example.

He had two choices; decide to try and bat "like a number three should", which he knows he's not good enough to do, or go down his way. Rather he does that TBH; better than head****ing yourself out of your own game.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Indeed, but having a test number 3 limited to that kind of mentality is so so wrong, damn selectors

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
He was picked at 3 and could have taken a moment to consider the match situation and what his team needed. All he had to do was shelve the risky shots early. The plus with him not being bright enough for that is we shouldn't have to witness him at 3 in a test again.

uvelocity

International Coach
clearly we aren't party to what the leadership group requested of maxwell, but if i put myself in their shoes surely it would have been along the lines of that he is among the most comfortable looking batsmen in the country against spin when playing in an orthodox fashion. with that in mind, would you not request he bat in an orthodox manner in the circumstances and respect the gravity of trying to save a test match for australia? if they allowed him to go out and do whatever i'd be surprised and disappointed.

Spikey

it's important to remember it was james brayshaw who ****ing started saying the big show all the time

Spikey

President of the Renegades at the time? Who also had Maxwell then?
I feel like Maxwell had already moved to the Stars when he started running it into the ground, although that's a rather technical thing, clearly the Renegades are at fault