• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gilchrist v Dhoni

Whom would you pick in your team?

• Total voters

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No team with Al Haksan in it can achieve true greatness. It's like having two or more Victorians in the Australian test side. It doesn't work at all. ever. He's the 6'0" 12 year old freak playing with 4'10" regulars for the Bangers, and that's why he stands out. Otherwise wouldn't bat an eye at him. decent 2019 WC tbf, but overall, prefer about 147 others.
Still better than Mathews

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Gilly
Tendulkar
Viv
Kohli
ABdV
Dhoni
Klusener
Wasim
Warne
McGrath
Murali

Gilly keeps to Wasim, McGrath and Klusener. Dhoni keeps to Warne, Murali, and Tendulkar/Viv.
Warne is a weird bowling option when you have better alternatives like Garner or Pollock. (I'd have Garner for Warne, and Pollock for Wasim). If having a second spinner is extremely important (other than on a spinning paradise, then Saqlain would be the automatic 2nd choice spinner), Shakib is the best choice, if you want to keep Gilly in the side.

My first XI would be
Jayasuriya / Watson
Tendulkar
Richards*
Kohli
ABdV
Dhoni+
Klusener
Pollock
Murali
Garner
McGrath

The Second XI
Gilly+
Anwar
Sharma
Lara
Abbas
Bevan
Kapil*
Wasim
Saqlain
Ambrose
Donald

srbhkshk

International Captain
Warne is a weird bowling option when you have better alternatives like Garner or Pollock. (I'd have Garner for Warne, and Pollock for Wasim). If having a second spinner is extremely important (other than on a spinning paradise, then Saqlain would be the automatic 2nd choice spinner), Shakib is the best choice, if you want to keep Gilly in the side.
Well maybe if we are nit-picking about stats then yeah, but no team in History is ever actually gonna play Warne and think "oh gosh, that makes our bowling weak".

cricketsavant

U19 12th Man
Reading the opening few pages of this thread I am surprised by how cricketing the discussion was rather than the partisan nonsense in 2020.

Anyway, I think some who have read my thoughts will know why I think Gilly > Dhoni and it may surprise you that I think Dhoni is probably second best as keeper/bat in ODIs and would walk into an Indian all time XI, an Asian one and a second ATG XI.

In tests I think it is Gilly by some distance, not necessarily the batting but the combination of being a very decent bat and one of the absolute best test keepers. I think Gilly's competition comes from the likes of Boucher and Healy in terms of test cricket.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well maybe if we are nit-picking about stats then yeah, but no team in History is ever actually gonna play Warne and think "oh gosh, that makes our bowling weak".
Plus Warney can bat, which can be a big consideration and depending on the make up of the rest of your attack, could well be the deciding factor. Saqlain can bat too but he was not much of a hitter, which is what you want from your #8 in LO games.

cricketsavant

U19 12th Man
Plus Warney can bat, which can be a big consideration and depending on the make up of the rest of your attack, could well be the deciding factor. Saqlain can bat too but he was not much of a hitter, which is what you want from your #8 in LO games.
You sure Dhoni shouldn't ball too? He is the greatest after all :)

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Sri lanka and Pakistan definitely. Murali and Saqlain were superior. Qadir, just about equal.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Warney's replacement Pollock can do it umpteen times better.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sri lanka and Pakistan definitely. Murali and Saqlain were superior. Qadir, just about equal.
1999 and 2007 would beg to differ. Both had their chances to win the world cup for their side and neither did.

To be honest though, if a side had all three available they'd probably play all 3, or at least two at a time. You don't hold talent like that back behind a mediocre pace bowler.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Looking forwards for the comments of Murali vs Warne graph.
I don't exactly base my ratings of players on charts. I base it on their performances particularly in world cups for ODIs.

I consider Murali's performance in the 2007 WC final to be a big black mark against him. In a final, on the same pitch where Clarke and Hogg took key wickets, where he could have set up the match for his side he took 0/44 (7). The funniest thing about this was that Sri Lanka rested Murali for their earlier match against Australia so they wouldn't get a look at him before the final.

I also hold Warne's 0/58 (10) in the 96 final against him, but his performance in 1999 redeemed him. Murali never took a match winning haul in a world cup final (the 1/31 (10) was as close as he got) and never really took a decent haul of wickets against Australia in a world cup march at all.

Last edited: