• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gamble selections.......

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tamara said:
I know one of the NZ Selectors and he says th average is hardly every considered. Hamish has really good NZ A tours and always was abig game riser. He struggled with the NZ first class pitches.
But Marshall has only ever been selected to the 'A' team once, and that was after he was called up to the ODI team with a List-A average barely over 20. His 'A' team performances:

FC - 13, 60, 65
OD - 96*, 12

He was called to the Test team because of his ODI success, but on what basis did he get the call to the ODI team? He really did absolutely nothing to suggest that he was going to be a success. IMO, that's a gamble if ever there was one.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
They saw him at the NZ cricket academy for a year. They know something special when they see it. I certainly wasnt schock by it anyway, and not many people who knew there cricket were either. he played one test ages ago scoring 40 not out when the black caps had everyone in NZ cricket who wasnt injured there. surely scoring that in your first test in enough for a 2nd shot.

Lyell_Chris

U19 12th Man
Xavier Marshall

James Franklin sort of when he was pulled outta the stands when NZ had an injury crisis in England

Craig

World Traveller
How many games had Dwayne Bravo played for Trinidad before he was picked for the West Indies and could he be considered a punt at given his potential?

Andrew Symonds has to be considered because before the 2003 WC his international career wasn't really go anywhere despite having obvious talent, and the punt by Ricky Ponting and the faith he has placed in him has paid off. Who knows how many games he would have played for England had he took up their offer in Tests and ODIs? If he had he would have likely been given the 'new Botham' tag IMO.

His captaincy might have copped plenty of stick during the 2005 Ashes, but at least he has got something right in his captaincy career.

Blaze

Banned
Tamara said:
Jesse has only played 19 matches averaging 44. Everyone knows he has the ablity but not the passion or want to do it.

Must tell him that next time I speak to him 8-)

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I know him quite well blaze.. and lets just say I am discusted that someone can act like such a *****

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Ramnaresh Sarwan.
Hamish Marshall - in Tests at least.

Failed gambles (thus far):

Fidel Edwards.
Dwayne Smith.
Marlon Samuels.
I wouldn't call Edwards a failure as such.

He's shown quite a bit IMO.

Blaze

Banned
Tamara said:
I know him quite well blaze.. and lets just say I am discusted that someone can act like such a *****

He just needs to mature. He will get there IMO. Just needs someone like Flem to toake him under his wing.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Tendulkar had forced his way into the team even at that young age. Only player to hit centuries on debut in Ranji, Duleep and Irani Trophies if I am not mistaken.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yeah, but if tomorrow another 16 year old boy does the same thing, I am not sure if he will be brought in. I still think it was a bit of a risk to have selected him, esp. against Pak with both Imran and Wasim and Qadir around...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Well I dont think any one who saw him that time doubted his talent. It was a matter of time - whether to select him right then or wait some time.

He was a produgy. Any one who played against him in FC or international cricket then will testify that. The Qadir incident and how impressed he was after the unofficial one dayer is well documented.

I saw a lot of Tendulkar 1991 onwards which was two years after 1989 and the strokes that tiny guy hit were amazing!

I would say he forced his way into the team rather than it being a big gamble.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
Well I dont think any one who saw him that time doubted his talent. It was a matter of time - whether to select him right then or wait some time.

He was a produgy. Any one who played against him in FC or international cricket then will testify that. The Qadir incident and how impressed he was after the unofficial one dayer is well documented.

I saw a lot of Tendulkar 1991 onwards which was two years after 1989 and the strokes that tiny guy hit were amazing!

I would say he forced his way into the team rather than it being a big gamble.
I saw him batting at Achrekar's nets in 1987 and he was absolutely amazing. I had just moved to Bombay and all my friends wanted me to visit the nets at Shivaji Park at the first opportunity and see this boy.

He was every bit as good as the hype. I remember telling my friend Ashok Nanda at Delhi, he is far better than I had imagined.

I went to the nets for a couple of weeks as I was still in touch and had come from delhi where I was regularly playing. Mr Achrekar agreed to let me practice at their nets but after the first two weeks my work did not allow me to play there again except once again I think. (I was putting up my first company and we were just about to start production. I was very young and it was my first assignment as a CEO.

I remember bowling to him a few times in the nets. I used to bowl slow medium in-swingers mixed with leg cutters in those days and I can clearly recall his initial attempts to drive me to the off side since the I would release the ball aimed at outside off stump line to allow for the good amount of in-swing I used to get. But after a few miscued shots which took the inner edge, he stopped trying to drive me to covers and started driving me very comfortably from the off stump to the onside.

I had no clue what he was going to end up as and its my greatest regret in life not to have continued visiting the nets on my trips between Baroda (where I had set up the company) and Bombay where we had our corporate office.

Its still something to talk to my grand children about :)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SirBloody Idiot said:
I wouldn't call Edwards a failure as such.

He's shown quite a bit IMO.
I agree, but he shouldn't have to show it at Test level yet. I think the gamble would have been to unearth a Test class bowler from obscurity. In that respect, it has failed.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Blaze said:
He just needs to mature. He will get there IMO. Just needs someone like Flem to toake him under his wing.
He wont get there until he sorts him self out. He got the opportunity to do the NZ Acadamy and from there so many coaches said they would never work with him again. I am suprised they took him away on NZ A after what some of those coaches had said

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Someone mentioned Wasim Akram earlier.

He was selected for Pakistan after only a handful of games and decimated Aus in an ODI in one of his first matches.

Would have to be one of the few modern day players to be selected for his country before owning a pair of cricket boots.

Craig

World Traveller
SJS said:
I saw him batting at Achrekar's nets in 1987 and he was absolutely amazing. I had just moved to Bombay and all my friends wanted me to visit the nets at Shivaji Park at the first opportunity and see this boy.

He was every bit as good as the hype. I remember telling my friend Ashok Nanda at Delhi, he is far better than I had imagined.

I went to the nets for a couple of weeks as I was still in touch and had come from delhi where I was regularly playing. Mr Achrekar agreed to let me practice at their nets but after the first two weeks my work did not allow me to play there again except once again I think. (I was putting up my first company and we were just about to start production. I was very young and it was my first assignment as a CEO.

I remember bowling to him a few times in the nets. I used to bowl slow medium in-swingers mixed with leg cutters in those days and I can clearly recall his initial attempts to drive me to the off side since the I would release the ball aimed at outside off stump line to allow for the good amount of in-swing I used to get. But after a few miscued shots which took the inner edge, he stopped trying to drive me to covers and started driving me very comfortably from the off stump to the onside.

I had no clue what he was going to end up as and its my greatest regret in life not to have continued visiting the nets on my trips between Baroda (where I had set up the company) and Bombay where we had our corporate office.

:notworthy

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
SJS said:

Wow, go SJS.