• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Future of Pink Ball Cricket?

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I think the luminous nature is part of the pink ball's problem. The pink ball seems to be from the neon/high vis part of the colour spectrum & I feel the natural reaction is to look away from such colours. Training your eyes to focus on the pink ball is quite the strain in my opinion.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Given the amount of crap test matches all over I think they need to put it on hold and find a ball that isn't so bowler friendly.
I didn't expect that changing the colour of a ball would cause such differences in characteristics. But it seems it does. So i don't think it's so much a case for finding the right ball, but one of players being able to adapt to an odd ball mid series.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think the luminous nature is part of the pink ball's problem. The pink ball seems to be from the neon/high vis part of the colour spectrum & I feel the natural reaction is to look away from such colours. Training your eyes to focus on the pink ball is quite the strain in my opinion.
It does not actually look that pink in reality, Ashwin showed the ball in his YouTube show and said it basically registers as bright pink on the cameras. I dunno if any of our posters here have been to a day-night test to confirm this.

cnerd123

likes this
I literally play with both the pink kooka and pink SG in matches/nets. Not the test standards balls obv, but the quality below that. Personally have had no issues with visibility, and the general consensus of the people I play with is that they're superior for visibility. One or two guys have the same issue like Chris Rogers where they're basically colourblind, but that's the minority.

Maybe they use a different shade of pink at Test level, who knows? I's assume it would be the same across their entire ball range. Also i'm not facing anything at the speed of international cricket and that could be a factor.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
It does not actually look that pink in reality, Ashwin showed the ball in his YouTube show and said it basically registers as bright pink on the cameras. I dunno if any of our posters here have been to a day-night test to confirm this.
I've both played matches with a pink ball & been to a D/N First Class game in the past & I found in both instances the pink ball is difficult to focus on. Seems to be different for everyone though.

cnerd123

likes this
perhaps different environments too? The surrounding environment of where I'm playing is often buildings and trees and such. The red ball gets lost pretty easily while the pink one stands out. If you've got clear bright skies and maybe brightly colored bleachers and such surrounding the ground then I could see how the pink ball could get lost.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
perhaps different environments too? The surrounding environment of where I'm playing is often buildings and trees and such. The red ball gets lost pretty easily while the pink one stands out. If you've got clear bright skies and maybe brightly colored bleachers and such surrounding the ground then I could see how the pink ball could get lost.
Yeah, I'd say that's definitely a big factor. Usually the grounds I play at were surrounded by trees as well. The main problem, as I mentioned the other day, was picking up the ball during dusk periods. Especially if the skyline has a pink hue about it. Couple this with constantly changing levels of light & then finally adjusting to the floodlights makes for a bit of a challenge. White balls on the other hand, no problem! Even yellow balls are much more visible.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Red balls are the worst visibility wise.

I've played with Pink, white and orange, but only the first two under lights. No issues at all personally.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Dynamic sunglasses which change the.contrast and background and even ball color according to prevalent conditions for optimum visibility.

No more pink ball, white ball, brown ball issues.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Has anyone wondered how a tennis ball coloured ball might fare?

Seems to work just fine for both day & night tennis matches, when players are wearing both white & coloured clothes.

Tennis ball travels faster than a cricket ball as well, so it passes that test at least, & quite often tennis games will take place during changeable light conditions.