• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Future of Pink Ball Cricket?

Spark

Global Moderator
I do think the pink ball does seem to "skid" a bit more than its red counterparts, which in seam-friendly conditions makes it behave a bit more like the Duke in that you get consistent, zippy movement through the innings. But the two D/N games held last summer against NZ and Pakistan here are hardly suggestive of it being a maxim that bowlers will dominate D/N games all the time.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wait, we don't play with the White Dukes ball when we play bilateral LO cricket in England?
Nope. After people whinged that the Dukes ball in the '99 World Cup swung too much (not that this apparent at all on the highlights, though I believe there were more issues in the warmups) Kookaburra successfully convinced the cricketing world that they should be the sole white ball in internationals. There doesn't seem to have been any serious consideration of changing despite the Kookaburra's salient shortcomings.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Pink ball cricket is cricket's version of having a problem for a solution. It is nothing more than a gimmick. It has shown to be a cropper especially in the subcontinent. So many uncertainties with regard to visibility, ball, pitch and also the dew.

I hope India just put up a stand to not encourage this mockery of test cricket and stop hosting or being part of such tests

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Pink ball cricket is cricket's version of having a problem for a solution. It is nothing more than a gimmick. It has shown to be a cropper especially in the subcontinent. So many uncertainties with regard to visibility, ball, pitch and also the dew.

I hope India just put up a stand to not encourage this mockery of test cricket and stop hosting or being part of such tests
Nah.. we cannot give up that easily. Day-night cricket is always a spectacle and I am sure with the grounds and facilities improving across India, people would be more interested in going to a game for the last 2 sessions of the day etc. Plus it ensures more eyeballs to the live telecast and less crapinfo scorecard following, which is always a win.

I just hope the ball manufacturers, the players, the curators and groundsmen and the admins can work together and come up with the right blue print. It may take a couple of more misses but I think Sourav is the kind of guy who will ensure it gets done.

Groundking

International Debutant
White balls don’t last long enough because they aren’t dyed and don’t have that extra protection. They get dirty and lose colour quickly.

They’ve done a whole bunch of testing even down to comparing green/black threads for the seam.

I think colour wise this is close to the best it’ll get in terms of visibility.
Lime green seem is surely better for visibility than the thin black seam this pink ball has?

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Nah.. we cannot give up that easily. Day-night cricket is always a spectacle and I am sure with the grounds and facilities improving across India, people would be more interested in going to a game for the last 2 sessions of the day etc. Plus it ensures more eyeballs to the live telecast and less crapinfo scorecard following, which is always a win.

I just hope the ball manufacturers, the players, the curators and groundsmen and the admins can work together and come up with the right blue print. It may take a couple of more misses but I think Sourav is the kind of guy who will ensure it gets done.
The efforts spent on overhauling teat cricket to enable DN matches vs the rewards don't really align AFAIK. Not in India.

Flem274*

123/5
sorry champ can't hear you over the #1 test ranking. you should probably go back to posting modi guzzling nationalism and wondering why a country only half the size of a random province that's managed to turn the ocean black is better than you.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Are you talking about the Work From Home Ranking 1? :D

Or the kumbaya politics of Jacinda, the glorified District Collector

Flem274*

123/5
Are you talking about the Work From Home Ranking 1? :D

Or the kumbaya politics of Jacinda, the glorified District Collector
Imagine having to work from home because if you go outside in Chennai you might get sick and die, and that's just the smog before the rona even gets you?

That's the leader of the free world you're talking about there matey, here on her democratically elected throne in the land of breathable air, blue oceans and the #1 test side in the world.

sunilz

International Regular
NZ are no longer no.1 test side. ICC test rankings will reflect that after the series

Flem274*

123/5
i live in the std, teen pregnancy and broken glass capital of at least the southern hemisphere. they are free to correctly observe the issues of my current town.

this town produced blocky.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Imagine having to work from home because if you go outside in Chennai you might get sick and die, and that's just the smog before the rona even gets you?

That's the leader of the free world you're talking about there matey, here on her democratically elected throne in the land of breathable air, blue oceans and the #1 test side in the world.
Didn't stop the players from the so called Free World to put up their behinds for sale in the IPL though :P Not to mention moaning about it when they didn't get selected as expected.

Or the District Collector who goes into silent mode when it comes to dealing with the Chinese incursions into civil liberties.:D

sunilz

International Regular
Didn't stop the players from the so called Free World to put up their behinds for sale in the IPL though :P Not to mention moaning about it when they didn't get selected as expected.

Or the District Collector who goes into silent mode when it comes to dealing with the Chinese incursions into civil liberties.:D
Can you please stop taking the bait.
Many Indian professionals also work in NZ.
Why can't you handle even mild criticism??