• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Funny Commentary Quotes

Kimbo

International Debutant
Sidhu is such a crack up. It's most funny when he is commenting with Martin Crowe because Martin Crowe has no idea what he is on about. He asked what the dining with the devil one meant and Sidhu just changed the subject...
Where does he come up with his analogy/simile things. does he make them up or does he have an english phrase book or something?

Kimbo

International Debutant
some of my favourite sidhu comments-

"the nz batsmen are like bicycles on the bicycle stand, you push one and they all fall down"

"astle has hit that sweet as tutti-frutti"

"commenting came naturally to me. i never tried to imitate anyone. i have my own style, and thats what makes me good"

V Reddy

International Debutant
Some more from Sidhu

There, there, that's a dead duck!
As innocent as freshly laid eggs.
All that comes from a cow is not milk.
The ball whizzes past like a bumble bee and the Indians are in the sea.
Bengal without Tigers!
He's in a soup!

Bamboozles and mesmerizes.
Commenting on Sri Lankans as demons on the slow and sluggish pitches:
When you are dining with the demon you've got to have a long spoon!
Don't open your old umbrella and run it over your shoulder.
Beauty even when silent is eloquent.
The Indians are finding the gaps like a pin in a haystack.
Yuvraj Singh - The pied piper of Punjab!
Harbhajan - The sardar from Jalandhar !
On S.Ramesh's diving catch in 1st innings of 2nd test vs. Sri Lanka:
He flew like a bird and plucked it out of thin air.
Sri Lankan score is running like an Indian taxi meter.
He pierced it through an eye of a needle.
As crisp as a cracker.
New Zealanders have their limits, The kiwis are the birds that cannot fly!

About Chris Harris he said:
He is a dibbly dobbly bowler.

My idea of a bird is 36-24-36.

Runs are flowing like the fare in Indian taxi.
When he fielded well as a substitute for Sachin Tendulkar in the 1 dayers:
Ajit Agarkar is as fresh as a daisy.

When a loud appeal was rejected:
Big outcry, no outcome!
Its very difficult to kill a man who is hell bent upon committing suicide!
Statistics are like miniskirts, they reveal more than what they hide.
The Indians are jelling together as a cohesive unit.
The pitch is as dead as a dodo.
Dravid has hit this shot as straight as a candle.
When Atapattu ran Jayasuriya out:
... He has thrown him to the wolves.
Prasad beat a Sri Lankan batsman:
He opened him like a can of beans.
Commenting on an injured Tendulkar:
A fallen lighthouse is more dangerous than a reef.
Muralitharan bowling to the last Indian pair:
The wily fox is back. Its an ill omen when a fox licks its lambs.
Commenting on Ganguly after he was out for a low score in the 2nd Test against Zimbabwe:
...Looks like a brooding hen over a china egg.
Why a China egg?
Because nothing will hatch out of it!

We are all Adam's children -- it's just the silk that makes all the difference!
To Martin Crowe:
The Indians are going to beat the Kiwis! Let me tell you, my friend, that the Kiwi is the only bird in the whole world which does not have wings!
Great feathers make great birds!
Right now he's looking like a Cheshire cat that's had loads of cream!
In the midst of a verbal duel with Tony Greig:
If ifs and buts were pots and pans, there would be no tinkers!
Applauding Reetinder Singh Sodhi's fighting spirit:
Young Ricky will fight a rattlesnake and give him the first two bites!
And when Ricky took a wicket:
He is flowing like a river - simply unstoppable!
In the midst of a verbal duel with Martin Crowe:
Wickets are like wives - you never know which way they will turn!
When India were 8 for no loss against New Zealand:
The Indians are going to make mincemeat of the Kiwis and eat them with tomato sauce!

When Ganguly took a catch that had gone very high in the air:
That ball went so high it could have got an air hostess down with it !!
When Sachin hit a good shot against Zimbabwe:
...and that is the vintage Sachin we all know !
In India's last match against New Zealand:
New Zealanders are like bicycles in a cycle stand - one falls down and the complete row will be down!
To Martin Crowe in a match against New Zealand
India is going to crush the Kiwis and Martin will need a hanky at that time!
(Later he offered a towel instead of a hanky when NZ scored 209)
For Sri Lankan batsman Kaluwitharna, when he was wasting many balls:
He is like Indian three-wheeler which will suck a lot of diesel but cannot go beyond 30!
Other good ones...
A good lather is half the shave...
As cool as a cucumber, as wily as a a fox!
This shot was as sweet as tooti frooti!
The gap between bat and pad is so much that I would have driven a car through it... !!
In Bulawayo, when India beat Zimbabwe by eight wickets to take a 1-0 lead in the two-Test series:
India have certainly erased the tag of tigers at home, ***** cats abroad!
Harbhajan will gobble him like a sausage
In reference to spectators flocking to watch the little genius bat.
Tendulkar is the pied piper!
Can anyone tell me why Agarkar is in the team? Or that Badani should not open the innings.
Taking the cake with a red cherry on top.
About the Zimbabwean batsmen:
Cats on a hot tin roof...
Other cliches:
charismatic, magnetic persona!
getting his bearings right
mental fortitude

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
There was a comment attributed to Lord Ted in this months Cricketer.

When talking to Fred Titmus, he asked him "Why didn't you come to India with us in 1961 (a tour Ted was captaining) ?"

"Because you never bloody picked me" came the reply!

Kimbo

International Debutant
yea i found that site. its not very well done. maybe someone should make a good site dedicated to sidhu and ajit

V Reddy

International Debutant
I think this site has not been updated since a year. They are all which were used by sidhu a year back when he had a battle with Crowe. It was an year or two back when IND-SRL-NZ were involved in a tri-series in SRL . He has continued it into this series also :O :duh:

Last edited:

V Reddy

International Debutant
Enjoy this interview of sidhu

Harsha Bhogle Interviewing Navjot Singh Siddhu on his life and times

HB : Sherry, let us start from the beginning. Tell us about your early life.

NS : I was born in patiala on 29th October in1969. My earliest memories are of my father telling me ''Son, never be a Xerox''. So I always believe in being original. I speak English like a native, a native Indian villager. My father was a lawyer by profession, who used to gobble his rivals like sausages with his smart phrases. I used to watch him at court cross-examine witnesses and learnt the fine art of commentary from him. All I do, is translate those phrases and proverbs from Hindi to English

HB : You made your debut in 1983 against the Windies, but made it big-time only four years later..

NS : My big break came in 1987 world cup, when I bamboozled and mesmerized all opposition, scoring four half-centuries in five innings.

HB : Just when you were all set for bigger things, you got involved in a police case.

NS : Yes, it was the most unfortunate incident of my life. Punjab police booked me and my close friend for culpable homicide. I was accused of killing one Gurmit Singh. I am telling you I was innocent, as innocent as a freshly laid egg.

HB : But you did beat up that guy...

NS : But then I am a Sikh, a born fighter, someone who will fight with a rattlesnake and give him the first two bites. Believe me, that guy was asking for it. How can you kill anyone who is hell-bent on committing suicide?

HB : Do you regret that incident?

NS : Oh, yes Harsha I do, If only on that fateful day I had been able to check my emotions, which flew like the fare in Indian Taxi - but ifs and buts were pots and pans, there would be no tinkers After that my cricket career went in downward spiral. I became like kumbhakarna - six months in the team, then for another six months resting behind bars. My fortunes were swinging like a rubber ball in a tidal wave. Earlier I was traveling on a German autobahn, but now I was on an Indian road. For about five years I was in and out of the Indian cricket team, and my performance became as erratic as electricity supply in most Indian cities

HB : After Sunny's retirement, you had several opening partners. Tell us about your experiences with them.

NS : Yes, there were several. There was Srikanth,completely unorthodox. The gap between his bat and pad used to be so much that I would have driven a car through it...and our fellow commentator Ravi,who was his exact opposite, very slow like Indian Three-wheeler which will suck a lot of diesel but cannot go beyond 30.

HB : What would you regard as the high point of your career ?

NS : When the Australians toured India with Shane Warne. Along with Sachin, I took Warne apart like a child tearing up the wrapping paper from his birthday present! I made mincemeat of the mighty Aussies and ate them with Tomato sauce. I was on rampage, just like an Indian elephant I trampled them like the elephant tramples the paddy fields.

HB : What is your opinion of current Indian team ?

NS : Indian team's performance is like current hindi movies, too many flops and too few hits. It is too dependent on Sachin, Dravid, Srinath and Harbajan. Indian team without these four is like CHICKEN BIRYANI without Chicken,Rice,Muttor, Biryani-Masala. It's an empty plate. you can not eat it nor throw it away.Our cricketers are very volatile like the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE). You never know how they perform on a given day. They are like bicycles in a cycle stand - one falls down and the complete row will be down !

HB : ... and skipper Saurav ?

NS : Saurav Ganguly is too open-minded. If you leave a soda! bottle open the gas will vanish! You have to close it times. As a captain he sets a bad example for his team by his poor fielding. He moves so slowly on the field like jack of jack n jill who goes to fetch pail of runs for the opposition

HB : Sherry, you have made a dramatic comeback as a commentator. But don't you feel embarrassed by the constant ridicule heaped on you for your flowery style of commentary?

NS : You can take the tiger out of the jungle, but u can't take the jungle out of the tiger. Why should I be embarrassed about it? In fact, at present there are only two super stars in Indian cricket - the two S's -Sachin & Sidhu. Let me tell you a secret. Star sports-ESPN need me, as they can no longer rely on the performances of Indian cricket team. After Sachin gets out, they need someone to keep the viewers entertained. That is why they are now bringing that Bakra-guy Cyrus to commentate. I am telling you Harsha, your job is in danger, not mine. Soon the focus will be less on the game, more on us. It is going to become Sidhu-Cyrus show. The world is all about mind and matter, I don't mind and you don't matter

V Reddy

International Debutant
Yeah thought so after i read it. I remembered reading his same opinion about Indian team in India - NZ series thread. Its real fun listening to his commentry.:lol:

Langeveldt

Soutie
I heard this guy called Kerry O'Keith commentate on ABC Radio, he is so funny, not because of his unfunny jokes, but because of the way he laughs at himself after telling them while everyone else groans.

Typical quote
I was watching a Ballroom dancing competition, which a pair from Iceland won...They stole our Aussie thunder and I just thought
go home Iceiies! ***Followed by Huge Throatie laughter into the micraphone, you cant hear anything else for about 5 seconds***

So who is this guy??? Why isnt he "Commentating" on Cricket 2002 or Cricket 2004?? Would be well funny

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Langeveldt said:
I heard this guy called Kerry O'Keith commentate on ABC Radio, he is so funny, not because of his unfunny jokes, but because of the way he laughs at himself after telling them while everyone else groans.

Typical quote
I was watching a Ballroom dancing competition, which a pair from Iceland won...They stole our Aussie thunder and I just thought
go home Iceiies! ***Followed by Huge Throatie laughter into the micraphone, you cant hear anything else for about 5 seconds***

So who is this guy??? Why isnt he "Commentating" on Cricket 2002 or Cricket 2004?? Would be well funny
Kerry James O'Keeffe

He's a former Leggie from the 70's-80's who did well at FC level but was one of those "big hearted triers" who never quite made it at Test Level. He's a character though, his battles with Aggers brightened up some long nights listening to the Ashes on the radio.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Cheers for the info Rik, he is certainly a character, and along with Aggers make for good listening. I like commentators like Kerry, Aggers, Navjot Sidhu who you tend to notice more when they commentate, unlike the monotone of a lot of commentators.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Langeveldt said:
Cheers for the info Rik, he is certainly a character, and along with Aggers make for good listening. I like commentators like Kerry, Aggers, Navjot Sidhu who you tend to notice more when they commentate, unlike the monotone of a lot of commentators.
Well I suppose you could say Blowers is a monotone but I like him, Aggers who I think is a brilliant commentator and Kerry who was a laugh.

Eclipse

International Debutant
I hate Tubbys Commentry he allways stuffes up names & gets confused about who a player actualy is I have heard the following:

Shane Pollock
confusing Martin Love for Damian Martyn.
confusing Shane Lee for Brett Lee
Mark Warne
Steve Warne
Marken Love ?? Marken is not even a proper name.
Calling Chris Cairns Lance Cairns

I have also seen him confuse Ricky Ponting with Jason Gillespie and then go on for about 30 seconds admiring Pontings techneque witch was actualy Gillespie and looked decidedly ordanary.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
I have always liked Henry Blofeld's commentary when listening to test cricket in England.
I like the way he builds it up as the bowler runs in like, "Gillespie, tall, dark hair, rather....menacing approach....comes in, he's there now, HE BOWLS!!"

One thing I heard him say on the 2001 Aussie tour of England which I thought was a bit odd was this, as Brett Lee came in to bowl.....
"Lee, blonde, buxom, rather broad of beam......" ??!!!