• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

From these; Whom is the best Sportsman?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd say it's the world's greatest living Englishman, our Roger, just now. His record of Slams entered to Slams won is better than Woods's Majors entered to won by a fair bit. He'll be past Sampras's record (assuming he stays fit) in three years at the outside; Woods may not even actually break Nicholas's mark.
What he said.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
This is an interesting thread because my mates were having an argument of who is better, Zidane or Jordan, and I chimed in with "Woods and Federer is better then them both" and got an evil stare.

I reckon discussing the best of the best of the best in particular sports, and pitting them against each other is the most fruitless task, yet most fun.

IMO at the moment out of that group (WTF is Ronaldo and Pietersen doing there) Schumacher has achieved the most from an unbiased point of view (I hate F1). I reckon Tiger Woods could become the greatest ever sportsman come his career's end though.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is an interesting thread because my mates were having an argument of who is better, Zidane or Jordan, and I chimed in with "Woods and Federer is better then them both" and got an evil stare.
I'd say that has a bit to do with Soccer and Basketball being more "popular" sports than Golf and Tennis, at least where I come from.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
This is so obviously Federer that its silly.
I love tennis, hate F1 and the most I know from Golf comes from watching Curb Your Enthusiasm and going to my dad's golf club in Singapore and embarassing myself on the driving range, but I don't think you can justify Federer being far above (if at all) Schumacher or Woods really, at this current stage anyway.

Perm

I love tennis, hate F1 and the most I know from Golf comes from watching Curb Your Enthusiasm and going to my dad's golf club in Singapore and embarassing myself on the driving range, but I don't think you can justify Federer being far above (if at all) Schumacher or Woods really, at this current stage anyway.
Especially when he has an obvious weakness (playing on clay), from what I've read about Tennis anyway.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'd say that has a bit to do with Soccer and Basketball being more "popular" sports than Golf and Tennis, at least where I come from.
Not in Australia, though the franchise of 'Jordan' covers into all nations really, whether basketball is popular or not. A testimony to a) how good he is, and b) how good his marketing team was.

Its a lot harder IMO to judge how good someone is in a team sport (like NBA basketball and soccer) compared to an individual taking on the whole world and kicking everyone's ass (Federer and Woods). You could probably chuck Schumacher into there as well, even taking into account the whole team aspect.
Especially when he has an obvious weakness (playing on clay), from what I've read about Tennis anyway.
Well its not a weakness per se because he's still damn good on clay, its just that there is someone clearly better than him at this aspect of tennis (The Raf!).

Mind you this could bite me back in the arse if Federer wins the French, particularly since I just put quite a bit on Nadal tonight.

Last edited:

Steulen

International Regular
Schumacher has retired.

KP and CR aren't even clearly the best in their own sport.

Tiger is the best golfer by far but he's a poor team player, and the Ryder Cup is a pretty big event in the sport, so....

I'll go Federer. Lightyears ahead of the rest on hardcourt and grass, and just second best to Nadal on Clay.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Schumacher has retired.

KP and CR aren't even clearly the best in their own sport.

Tiger is the best golfer by far but he's a poor team player, and the Ryder Cup is a pretty big event in the sport, so....

I'll go Federer. Lightyears ahead of the rest on hardcourt and grass, and just second best to Nadal on Clay.
Interesting theory. Is Federer a 'good team player' if he doesn't represent his country in the Davis Cup?

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
He just beat Nadal on clay.

Federer for mine.

And how can you be bad on clay if you reach the final of the French Open? He only lost that beacuse Nadal is as big a machine on clay as he is on grass.

Urgh, just terrible.

You're banned from any future tennis threads...Hell...you're lucky I don't evoke your membership entirely for that embarrassment.

Somebody do this bloke a favour...Delete the above abomination and maybe in time we'll all forget about it, and he can move on.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Think you should take a chill pill.

If you like tennis however heard over to the general sports forum.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Tennis is a young man's game, generally. I am no Tennis expert, but there have been a lot of people who've peaked at 25 or 26. He may not with another one. Woods still has 8-10 good years.
Not so much in this day and age really. Sampras & Agassi both won five of their GS titles when they were older than Rog is now & Lendl won 8 of his 10!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Think you should take a chill pill.

If you like tennis however heard over to the general sports forum.
Think he should probably take a bus and head over to Banned City... 'cos I reckon he's probably SW\BLE.

Perm

Only if you promise me HE'S not over there.
Hah, sorry if I offended you or whatever with my comment. I'm no Tennis expert and I don't pretend to be, but from what I have read about Roger Federer the one thing that has stopped him from easily being the greatest player ever is that Rafiel Nadal keeps beating him on clay.

Eclipse

International Debutant
what the hell is KP doing in here?

all the rest are greats what is he? I know he is retired now but someone like Warne or Lara or of current players Ponting or Gilly would be more appropriate.