• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

From the last 50 years, who has the worst ATG XI from the big 8? SL, NZ or England?

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kohli has been mostly good vs Australia but not as significant or memorable as Pujara. I do think his 2014 tour gets extremely underrated especially the second innings knock at Adelaide (it's a myth that the pitch was a road on day 5). But he's had some lows as well and doesn't have the array of atg innings that Pujara /vvs do.

sunilz

International Regular
Kohli has been mostly good vs Australia but not as significant or memorable as Pujara. I do think his 2014 tour gets extremely underrated especially the second innings knock at Adelaide (it's a myth that the pitch was a road on day 5). But he's had some lows as well and doesn't have the array of atg innings that Pujara /vvs do.
Please consider every opposition .

Teja.

Global Moderator
I'm arguably the biggest Laxman fan on the forum, but I genuinely don't think pujaras career is that far off. He has his own strengths, for instance at his peak he piled on the runs and dominated series in a way vvs didn't really do. Even vs Australia, Pujara has played almost as many if not more extremely valuable match winning knocks. He doesn't have the 281 which let's be fair no one does. But his 92 at bangalore, the double at ranchi, both innings at Adelaide in 2018 tour and his Sydney knock earlier this year all compare favorably with other vvs classics like Mohali. He should 100% make a team to play Australia over Kohli imo. He has been the single most important batsman in India's last 3 series wins vs them and they've all been in historically important series.
He's not far away but needs a career resurgence of 20-30 tests where he is high quality if not world class to compare to Laxman IMO. His career has mostly been quite underwhelming outside of a few useful/gutsy 50s since approximately the 65 test mark (post 18/19 Autralia tour) which is not really many tests when compared to modern greats of the game.

Spark

Global Moderator
Genuine question: what's wrong with picking ATG XIs only with respect to playing a specific team? It's closer to how real cricket teams are selected after all

sunilz

International Regular
Genuine question: what's wrong with picking ATG XIs only with respect to playing a specific team? It's closer to how real cricket teams are selected after all
Will Australia pick Warne in their ATXI team if the match was to be played against IND ?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Its interesting, isn't it? I posted somewhere else about the intangibles and how I felt that McGrath benefitted from having Warne on his side even though the stats show the opposite. VVS is another case. On one hand, he played match winning knocks fairly regularly against ATG bowling line up of Australia, but OTOH he also played in the noughties which was the best batting era and averaged only around 50 even in that era. Pujara has obviously been playing in the tougher era overall for batting.

Still think if he can retain the tempo he showed in the last couple of knocks in England the last series, he will back to his best or close to his best very very soon.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haze over Dizzy tbh. Peak Thommo or Johnson maybe over both of those guys, actually.