• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Five year peaks - point to point (excel help)

Days of Grace

International Captain
How are you adjusting the averages? Does it take into account quality of opposition it just era? And if just era, how is the era calculated.

Viv, for example, never faced his own attack which was by far the strongest. Is that factored in? Faulkner and Hill both feel over adjusted.

Can we get the list for the unadjusted peaks?
The averages are adjusted by quality of opposition and eras, yes.

Eras:
1877-1889
1890-1914
1920-1939
1946-1975
1975-1999
2000-

I only work with adjusted stats, sorry.

Anyone is welcome to search Statsguru for five year unadjusted peaks, though.

Days of Grace

International Captain
An update:

The more I think about it, the more I think that a player's peak should be measured in years, and not by number of innings. The amount of cricket played varies considerably from the beginnings of test cricket to the current era. A batsman in the modern era could play 40 innings in 2 years, whereas George Headley played 40 innings across 24 years.

But, how do we measure a five year peak?

The simple way is to just do the best five calendar years of a player's career. However, what if they miss a year? What about the war years when no cricket was played? Denis Compton peaked from 1937 to 1948. Do we only about 1946-1948 as his peak? That is only three years. Do we just do five calander years and call it as 1944-1948? That would be strange as obviously he didn't start playing cricket again until 1946. Or do we cut the war years out altogether? That sounds more reasonable.

However, what about Clyde Walcott? He peaked from 1952-1956 in terms of five calendar years, but he didn't play any test cricket in 1956. So his peak was only really 4 years (1952-1955). What do we do then? Do we take 20% off his peak rating?

What if Walcott happened to miss a year in the middle of his peak, for example, 1953? What would we do then, as he was again only active for four of the five years of his peak period.

How about five calander years in which a player was active? For George Headley, that would give a peak of 1930 to 1939 since he was only active in 1930, 1931, 1933, 1935 and 1939.

I have no idea what to do. I would appreciate any thoughts. Cheers.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
How about five calander years in which a player was active?
Then we can't call it a "peak period" anymore. And then you may want to see if you wanna reward someone for having those picks in consecutive calendar years as that implies more strength to the team usually than split peak years.

I think era based cut off of number of innings is still the best bet to identify a players' peak and then try and do an apples to apples comparison.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Sorry, I meant five consecutive calendar years a player was active. For example, Denis Compton 1938, 1939, 1946, 1947, 1948; Clyde Walcott 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1957, etc.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry, I meant five consecutive calendar years a player was active. For example, Denis Compton 1938, 1939, 1946, 1947, 1948; Clyde Walcott 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1957, etc.
Yes that makes the most sense. However, I'd slightly drop that to four active years in stead of five.

Where does Ashwin come in your bowling peak list?

Days of Grace

International Captain
Yes that makes the most sense. However, I'd slightly drop that to four active years in stead of five.

Where does Ashwin come in your bowling peak list?
Ashwin from 2013 to 2017 took 241 wickets from 43 matches at 23.63 (adj. 22.22). Not sure where this puts him on the bowling peak list as I haven't calcuated everyone yet. But I'd imagine he'd be ranked in the upper 20s.