• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final - New Zealand v Australia (29th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
If he had played Elliott probably wouldn't have been in the side & McCullum would have been in the middle order. Arguably, he may have fared better opening than McCullum did in the final but the way Starc was bowling there's a reasonable chance he would have gone cheaply too.
ryder would've got absolutely dicked by starc if he opened

Flem274*

123/5
ryder would've got absolutely dicked by starc if he opened
yeah jesse spent most of his one day domestic career averaging less than 30 as a hitter opener.

he got better in odis and he is a very good odi player but if he tries to hit out against starc early when starc is bowling like that, jesse gets castled.

jesse was actually quite successful batting normally in the middle order in odis on the rare occasion he got the job iirc.

viriya

International Captain
I didn't say AB, Amla and Kohli aren't great. Stop arguing something which I didn't even say.
You were saying that 53 average in 2010-2015 is not better than 45 average in 2001-2007. As you can see from the graph above, ODI batting averages have been relatively stable for the past 20 years. Only SR has been increasing steadily.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Well it's not Jayawardene with all due respect to the man. The guy has a pretty mediocre ODI record despite the quantity and years.

Now I'm sure in 448 games for his country he's played quite a few match winning/competitive roles for the team, somewhat like the Shahid Afridi has for Pakistan, but his ODI career is still more of a miss than a hit.
Jayawardene's a strange one - literally the opposite of Sangakkara. Does nothing for ages and out of the blue hits a century each in a World Cup SF and Final 4 years apart.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Jayawardene's a strange one - literally the opposite of Sangakkara. Does nothing for ages and out of the blue hits a century each in a World Cup SF and Final 4 years apart.
I mean, it's pretty obvious that Sangakkara's the better batsman, but there's something to be said for the guy who twice delivered the highs that Sri Lankans are rightly proud of.

viriya

International Captain
I mean, it's pretty obvious that Sangakkara's the better batsman, but there's something to be said for the guy who twice delivered the highs that Sri Lankans are rightly proud of.
Mahela's ODI career is extremely disappointing considering his talent - the only thing that salvages it a bit is his 2 WC tons. He should've opened in ODIs - he averaged 45 @ 85 when he did. He asked to open but selectors wanted him in the middle order for "stability" - as in 33 @ 77.

JediNudist

U19 Debutant
This from Chris Rattue a NZ sports journo, Saying what many have been too scared to say :

"Time to harden up

Brendon McCullum's side had an outstanding World Cup tournament. But spare us all this nonsense about being proud of how they performed in the final. Who cares if they were polite? Their batting was rubbish in the ultimate game. No professional sports person or their fans should be so ridiculously proud of that.

The New Zealand cricketers need to harden up before they venture back across the Ditch for the test series which begins in November. They might even get a bit of spite back in their game. They surrendered in the final, and took this whole nice-guy business too far."

I agree. NZs batting was village. Awful fizzer.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Rattue is what happens when you have too much exposure to dem lemonz:

Has he ever written anything remotely positive?

Greenlite

U19 Debutant
After reading 2 of his cricket articles 2 months ago, I decided he's a troll, writing crap to turn people against each other with clickbait headlines and provocative articles for extra website clicks.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Has he ever written anything remotely positive?
He does occasionally.

Arise, Sir Brendon ...

Which is a way of saying Brendon McCullum's late-career surge has been so extraordinary that he now stands alongside Sir Richard Hadlee for his impact on cricket in this country and place in Kiwi sports history.

Hadlee ruled supreme over a longer period, but McCullum's influence is just as amazing and could well be laying foundations that will stand a long time.

The World Cup job is not yet done - we all know that. I still rate Australia as slight favourites, and South Africa - with THAT man AB de Villiers just ahead of New Zealand.

But this New Zealand side has come such a long way, and McCullum - an oft-criticised character for playing rash strokes that curtailed his stunning batsmanship - stands at the centre. Under McCullum's leadership, the team and thus the game is in its best shape ever.
Chris Rattue at the Cricket World Cup: Brendon McCullum has proved himself his way - Sport - NZ Herald News

Also, raises an interesting point about whether McCullum should have always focussed on his batting - I think given the side in the early 2000's it did make sense for him to keep, unless he was going to open.

Having McCullum keep wicket for a large part of his career was like getting a superior racehorse to don a plough. Batsmen who can keep wicket do not bat as well when they are also parked behind the wickets. McCullum's batting prowess was too precious to be treated that way, not to mention the crime of hiding such a talent down the order of a NZ side.

Chris Rattue: Misuse of Brendon McCullum was a wicked waste - Sport - NZ Herald News

Last edited:

Le Mac

Banned
NZ cricket (and NZ in general really) oozes mediocrity so to make the final they have significantly over-achieved already. They won't be winning this. They will be over-awed by the occasion and crumble faster than a Christchurch skyscraper. As I said elsewhere, Australia won't be using lube on Sunday so it's not going to be a pleasant experience for NZ. Australia won't mess around though so expect this to be over as quickly & humanely as possible.

Australia in straight sets.

Spot on this prediction! Right on the money!