• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final | England vs Pakistan | Melbourne, 13 November 2022

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
They won the cup, but the final was a tie and there was a tied super over. Whoever made the rule for a boundary countback should have been put in stocks (sorry, it's not something I can be rational about). That said, I think overall England were worthy WC winners. They beat us comfortably us in the round robin stage and beat Australia who I don't think we could have beaten.

I can emphasize with Pakistan as the same thing happened in our club T20 game on Saturday. Our best bowler did a hamstring trying to take a catch and had to leave the field.
I agree it’s a stupid rule but my overarching point is both sides went into the super over knowing what they had to do.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Honestly, the tedium is at times insane.

England won the 2019 World Cup. That is a fact. Would I have had different rules in place? Yes. Was it crystal clear at the start of the super over what the rules were. Also yes. Hence the ICONIC image of Jos wheeling away, because everyone in the world knew NZ needed one more. In the subsequent years on CW you would think that after that delivery everyone had stood round going ‘so what happens now?’ while the umpires urgently flicked through a rule book in the middle before giving the trophy to England. Both sides played that over knowing what had to be done. England won the Cup. I’m all for a tired joke and what not but the seriousness and earnestness with which some otherwise good posters try and claim we did not win that World Cup is insane. Just remember guys, if TheJediBrah is your fellow traveller on an issue then you are wrong and possibly certifiably insane.

But anyway my actual point is that to try and compare anything yesterday to 2019 is just trying too hard. I felt for Afridi. We’ll never know if he’d have taken a couple of wickets or not and what would have happened afterwards. But you can only deal with what actually happened. Injuries happen. That it occurred in the final may seem cruel, but then I think going into a WC shorn if the world’s in-form bat through a freak injury is cruel. The best team on the day won and comfortably in the end.
The problem isn't that everyone didn't know the rules dumbass, it's that the rule was ****ing stupid and it directly led to England 'winning'

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The problem isn't that everyone didn't know the rules dumbass, it's that the rule was ****ing stupid and it directly led to England 'winning'
No, dumbass, nobody contests that the rules are stupid. But you can’t claim England were ‘awarded’ when we won via the competition rules that were understood. It’s not that complicated. Obfuscate all you like, everyone who tries to claim England didn’t win the World Cup is ultimately showing themselves to be a midwit. Although for some of those who partake that would probably be high praise. Like you and OS.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
and the insults keep flying over a 3 year-old match, spiffing for forum atmosphere. Still not like a World Cup final thread could have generated any new users, so we'll just stew in the brine of repeats....

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
and the insults keep flying over a 3 year-old maych, spiffing for forum atmosphere. Still not like a World Cup final thread could have generated any new users, so we'll just stew in the brine of repeats....
You make a fair point but I’ll be damned if I don’t die on this hill

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No, dumbass, nobody contests that the rules are stupid. But you can’t claim England were ‘awarded’ when we won via the competition rules that were understood. It’s not that complicated. Obfuscate all you like, everyone who tries to claim England didn’t win the World Cup is ultimately showing themselves to be a midwit. Although for some of those who partake that would probably be high praise. Like you and OS.
Unfortunately there are multiple issues with this post.

First this bit:
But you can’t claim England were ‘awarded’ when we won via the competition rules that were understood.
I'm pretty sure Dharmasena incorrectly awarded England an extra run because he didn't apply the overthrow rule correctly. I will retract this if proven wrong, its been a while.

everyone who tries to claim England didn’t win the World Cup is ultimately showing themselves to be a midwit
This is certainly not the claim. England definitely 'won' the world cup. They just won in very dodgy circumstances and deserve to have the joy of winning the thing soured. I do have sympathy for them that their wins have left them unable to fully enjoy them tbh. Maybe next time they'll win clean, they're certainly good enough to do it.

grecian

You make a fair point but I’ll be damned if I don’t die on this hill
I'm not really blaming you, it's really not you that bring it up constantly, in fact it could almost be considered trolling, and yes iy is tiresome.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

First this bit:

I'm pretty sure Dharmasena incorrectly awarded England an extra run because he didn't apply the overthrow rule correctly. I will retract this if proven wrong, its been a while.

This is certainly not the claim. England definitely 'won' the world cup. They just won in very dodgy circumstances and deserve to have the joy of winning the thing soured. I do have sympathy for them that their wins have left them unable to fully enjoy them tbh. Maybe next time they'll win clean, they're certainly good enough to do it.
You’re correct on the Dharmasena thing of course but that’s just part of the course of the game. And the rest of the game flows differently with a different decision there. It’s not a real point against and you know this.

Obviously the rest is just dribble and I can assure you I enjoyed the win as much then as I still do now. Dweebs on CW don’t sour it for me, they just sour CW

grecian

First this bit:

only one sour part of this argument and it ain't ours:laughing:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
the whole "awarded" thing is great

england were awarded the final, the real winners should have been NZ, who literally did not do what was required to win the match, whereas England did

#logic, yeah boiiiii

grecian

This is excellent posting, keep going fellas
Soon it's going to reach peak, I'm not bothered you are, oh you are bothered, I'm not, no, I'm not bothered you are, in a continuous circle into internet hell, and I'll be the captain steering that ship, because I'm quite bored now the World Cup is over.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Shoaib Akhtar on Shaheen Shah Afridi:

"I think Pakistan cricket should make a code that never ever carry an unfit player,".

"Now you'll say that I stayed unfit throughout my career. But even if I was unfit, I bowled in such a way that jaws would drop. Then that is not unfit, that is sheer will and madness for my country."

"But when you carry an unfit player, right now Shaheen was bowling at his 70 percent. What happens is in pressure situations, your foot starts to land a foot further and then you stretch yourself when exerting really hard."

"So at that point, if your body isn't strong enough or has a slight niggle, it will explode right away. In my opinion, even before he took that catch, he was unfit the way he was limping.

"But he put in a lot of effort in this World Cup for Pakistan. If I was in place of him and got unfit, people would've murdered me. But we are here and we'll back these players."
..…...........……........................................................... So in a nutshell its fine i was injured since i was awesome but Shaheen should not have played since he is not awesome like me. Sorry Shoaib if Shaheen has a complete career he will leave your record in a dust.

Never change Shoaib :laugh:

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Shoaib Akhtar on Shaheen Shah Afridi:

"I think Pakistan cricket should make a code that never ever carry an unfit player,".

"Now you'll say that I stayed unfit throughout my career. But even if I was unfit, I bowled in such a way that jaws would drop. Then that is not unfit, that is sheer will and madness for my country."

"But when you carry an unfit player, right now Shaheen was bowling at his 70 percent. What happens is in pressure situations, your foot starts to land a foot further and then you stretch yourself when exerting really hard."

"So at that point, if your body isn't strong enough or has a slight niggle, it will explode right away. In my opinion, even before he took that catch, he was unfit the way he was limping.

"But he put in a lot of effort in this World Cup for Pakistan. If I was in place of him and got unfit, people would've murdered me. But we are here and we'll back these players."
..…...........……........................................................... So in a nutshell its fine i was injured since i was awesome but Shaheen should not have played since he is not awesome like me. Sorry Shoaib if Shaheen has a complete career he will leave your record in a dust.

Never change Shoaib :laugh:
This is amazing. :laugh:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Fairly unlikely for the league thing. There might be an example but GB was pretty much only ever players from Northern England. Be interested to see what you can find out.

Edit: You were right - a handful of Welsh players in the 50s teams.
Nah, a lot of Welsh union players such as Jonathan Davis who went to league before union became professional in the mid 90s also played for GB.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Squad did contain this son of Wrexham who's almost certainly rather more Welsh than a lot of the current Leekist XXIII.
Was he the/a backup to poor Steve Thompson? Great player and a tragic story. Yeah, talking of rugby I almost half wish that Gareth Anscombe had stayed in NZ as I don't particularly rate Mo'unga and B Barrett at running a backline from no 10.