• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

favourite / least favourite cricket commentators

username1234

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hey guys, just wondering which commentator's you like and which ones you find really irratating.

my favourites would be - Ian Smith, Micheal Holding, Ian chappel, and sidhu

least favourite- Ian healy, Martin Crowe, tony greig.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Favourites; Ritchie, David Gower, Michael Slater, Geoff Boycott
Not-so-favourites; Mark Taylor, Ian Healy

My good friend Ritchie Beneau would have to be my favourite commentator. He is to cricket commentary what I am to talkback radio - a true legend.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Likes: Richie Benaud, Robin Jackman, Gerald De Kock, David Richardson, Imraan Munshi, Mark Nicholas, Dermot Reeve, Simon Hughes, Barry Richards, Ian Smith, Ian Bishop, Geoffrey Boycott, Charles Colville, Bob Willis, Paul Allott, David Gower, David Lloyd, Ian Botham, Michael Holding, Jonathan Agnew, Christopher Martin-Jenkins, Henry Blofeld, Bill Lawry, Tony Greig, Mark Taylor, Ian Healey, Jim Maxwell, Ravi Shastri, Harsha Bhogle, Sanjay Manjrekar, Sunil Gavaskar, Tony Cozier, Navjot Sidhu, Ramiz Raja, Ranjit Fernando, David Houghton, Andy Pycroft, Michael Atherton, Nasser Hussain, Roshan Mahanama, and many others I've forgotten.
Dislikes: Joe Bloggs

Richard said:
Likes: Richie Benaud, Robin Jackman, Gerald De Kock, David Richardson, Imraan Munshi, Mark Nicholas, Dermot Reeve, Simon Hughes, Barry Richards, Ian Smith, Ian Bishop, Geoffrey Boycott, Charles Colville, Bob Willis, Paul Allott, David Gower, David Lloyd, Ian Botham, Michael Holding, Jonathan Agnew, Christopher Martin-Jenkins, Henry Blofeld, Bill Lawry, Tony Greig, Mark Taylor, Ian Healey, Jim Maxwell, Ravi Shastri, Harsha Bhogle, Sanjay Manjrekar, Sunil Gavaskar, Tony Cozier, Navjot Sidhu, Ramiz Raja, Ranjit Fernando, David Houghton, Andy Pycroft, Michael Atherton, Nasser Hussain, Roshan Mahanama, and many others I've forgotten.
Dislikes: Joe Bloggs
Thanks for naming every cricket commentator on earth there Richard. You've given us a good insight into just how obsessed with the game you are. Granted cricket is right up there as one of the best sports being played but its time to get out a little. Listening to my daily show would do you the world of good. Might give you an idea about the real world. Simply click on my homepage and you will find a link to enable you to listen to my show online. I know, I know, I said you should get out a little but i understand that may be a little too much too soon. Just listen to the show and im sure in time you will build up the courage to take control of your life.
Regards
John Laws CBE

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's fantastic to see you making exactly the same sort of comments as Camel56 about my life about which you have equal knowledge: zero.

Richard said:
It's fantastic to see you making exactly the same sort of comments as Camel56 about my life about which you have equal knowledge: zero.
Dearest Richard,
Let me asure you, I do not need to read the posts of Camel56 to have a fairly good understanding of what your life entails. You have made over 12500 posts, including more than 500 this week alone. The fact of the matter is, this kind of statistic tells me more about you than any psycological analysis ever could.
Regards
John Laws CBE

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, it doesn't, it just tells you that I've not been up to much this week.
And it's totally stupid of you to think otherwise.

Ray Hadley

Cricket Spectator
Richard said:
No, it doesn't, it just tells you that I've not been up to much this week.
And it's totally stupid of you to think otherwise.
Not stupid at all Richard, in fact I'd say judging by those figures John was spot on.Perhaps if you found some form of meaningful vocation you'd have a bit more to than post inane paranoid tripe on this site.

Top_Cat

Come on guys, grow up.

Must you urinate in every thread you post in? The fact that you would take any opportunity to ball Richard out for his exceedingly (;)) long list says more about your questionable motives for being here than any of his motivations. The self-congratulatory, mutual admiration society you two and Pinkline_Jones engage in is well beyond tiresome. Watching monkeys in a cage play with each other is fun for a while but when they start flinging their own faeces at you well, enough is enough.

Last edited:
Incorrect again there Richard,

YES IT DOES. It's totally UNSTUPID of us to accurately guess that aside from pulling the wings off flies and staring at the test pattern as you mumble into your cupasoup, you've been contributing bugger all.

Pinkline Jones said:
Richard,

Christopher Martin-Jenkins LOL!

What the heck has a bloke who performs eye surgery in Kent have to do with cricket commentary?

http://www.kentlasik.co.uk/surgery-pages/jenkins.html
Mr Jones,
Perhaps you could use your considerable influence in the medical community to organise some eye surgery for young Richard so he can read our collective postsa little better. While you're at it, a frontal labotomy wouldnt go astray either - would do the young chap the world of good.
Regars
John Laws CBE

Top_Cat said:
Come on guys, grow up.

Must you urinate in every thread you post in? The fact that you would take any opportunity to ball Richard out for his exceedingly (;)) long list says more about your questionable motives for being here than any of his motivations. The self-congratulatory, mutual admiration society you two and Pinkline_Jones engage in is well beyond tiresome. Watching monkeys in a cage play with each other is fun for a while but when they start flinging their own faeces at you well, enough is enough.
Top Cat,
I will give your request due consideration. From my brief time on this forum I have already got the impression that you are the kind of fellow who could make an impact in the world of talkback radio although I must admit the last comment you have just added to your previous post makes me question my original opinion. However, if you keep up the good work I would be happy to give you a reference if ever you should decide to go down the path to becoming a media icon. Depending on the quality of your work, I may even decide to make an exception to my usual cash for comments policy.
Yours sincerly,
John Laws CBE

Top Cat,

Don't hit us with this silly "grow up" cliche. It really is a mindless little piece of flyplod.

I find your phrasing "urinate in every thread" just a tad offensive. You've misread what is happening here. Richard has continued to trump himself up as some kind of forum guru and is happy to frollick along insulting other posters while he spins an assortment of boring waffle-to-grow-grass-by.

Top Cat, if you were as loved and respected across cyber forums as much as we are then you would fully understand why the natural existence of such a grand mutual admiration society is warranted. If you find my own omnierudite modest posts tiresome then why not desist from reading them. Read a book. Go for a walk.

Regarding your little monkey analogy TopCat - I have been to Taronga Zoo many times and the charming little Pan TrogloRichards have never flung their faeces at me. However, there are a few monkeys in THIS particular zoo who like to fling the monkey poo around like it's on tap (hello Richard, Blaze, and hello again Richard) yet they never seem to be censured.

Bit double standard methinks.

Last edited:

Ray Hadley

Cricket Spectator
Top_Cat said:
Come on guys, grow up.

I must have missed the episode where the monkeys started throwing their own dung at one another. TC, who started it? I'll bit it was that stirrer Dolenz.

Top_Cat

I find your phrasing "urinate in every thread" just a tad offensive. You've misread what is happening here. Richard has continued to trump himself up as some kind of forum guru and is happy to frollick along insulting other posters while he spins an assortment of boring waffle-to-grow-grass-by.
That is the biggest load of freeze-dried toejam I've ever read. Richard and I had our own wars of words whn he first landed upon our cyber shores but he was always respectful and dind't cram his views down my throat or anyone elses. I don't always agree with him but he never attacks others' views. He's verbose, yes, but not overbearing. Incidentally, there's nothing stopping you from avoiding his posts.

Top Cat, if you were as loved and respected across cyber forums as much as we are then you would fully understand why the natural existence of such a grand mutual admiration society is warranted. If you find my own omnierudite modest posts tiresome then why not desist from reading them. Read a book. Go for a walk.
See here's where the problem is; I'm A MODERATOR. Y'know those people who have to read stuff even when not terribly interested by the subject matter? Omnierudite!? If you're going to attempt to test my vocabulary, try using a word which exists.

Regarding your little monkey analogy TopCat - I have been to Taronga Zoo many times and the charming little Pan TrogloRichards have never flung their faeces at me. However, there are a few monkeys in THIS particular zoo who like to fling the monkey poo around like it's on tap (hello Richard, Blaze, and hello again Richard) yet they never seem to be censured.

Bit double standard methinks.
So you've read every thread Richard has ever contributed to and can authoritatively say that he's never been censured?

Mind you, it's never been often that Richard has to be spoken to because although sometimes infuriating to debate with (well, in the early days), he's rarely guilty of foistering his opinion upon another. And I only say 'rarely' because even I don't read EVERY thread all the time.

The really sad part of it all is that all three of you are really witty and could contribute so much humour to this forum but instead you throw faeces at the other forum participants.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Top_Cat said:
The really sad part of it all is that all three of you are really witty and could contribute so much humour to this forum but instead you throw faeces at the other forum participants.
Indeed. I actually found quite a lot of the five stumps thread really funny, but it gets a bit old seeing every thread spammed with the same stuff attacking Richard.

TopCat,

I don’t know where you buy your toejam from but I would never recommend it be freeze-dried. Who is your supplier? I will send them off a missive on official Pinkline Jones A.O. letterhead and straighten out the matter for you.

TC, I wasn’t trying to test your vocab at all - just using quite a common word used by the high society class that I’m accustomed to dealing with, International Heads of State, royal weddings, karaoke club openings that sort of thing. You can add this one to your dictionary. It’s a good modest person’s word 

omnierudite - ( )
One who is educated in all subjects, or who possesses universal knowledge

TC, we bear no grudges or ill will against Richard – he's a battler and not a bad bloke when you get to know him and I don’t feel that we’ve really gone over the top at any stage. Richard just needs to learn to cop it on his glass jaw a bit better.

Anyway, thanks for your kind support.