• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fasting During Ramadhan

slowfinger

International Debutant
Hey guys, this is aimed primarily at the Muslims,

I'm a fairly young lad playing a lot of cricket and with Ramadan coming up, I have a lot of games during this period.
For example the first week is me playing a cricket festival with 6 games in 6 days

I think that I will miss a lot of games if I dont play during this period, and also I will miss a lot of fasts if I do play/dont fast

Is it possible for me to play and fast at the same time, would you give any tips so I would last the month? Thanks guys

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Not sure if you know of him, but Bachar Houli is a fairly prominent AFL footballer who fasts during the AFL season during Ramadan. The club's fitness people accomodate his fast with lighter training loads, but he still trains and plays while fasting.

Ramadan | The Official Website of Bachar Houli: Richmond Football Club player & AFL Multicultural Ambassador

Curious as to how your fast works. What do you eat before the day starts, and what do you eat after it in the evening? Is it 12 hours exactly?

watson

Banned
Most Muslims I know do not drink any fluids, including water, during their fasting hours (dawn till dusk)

Obviously, different branches of Islam vary their rules slightly according to how they interpret the various Hadith. So you may be lucky and therefore be able to drink water while playing a match.

However, if you are not allowed to drink water like many Muslims then I don't see how you can play a cricket match, or even train for one due to the inevitable dehydration. Even on a cool day you will be sweating 1-2 litres which must be replaced ASAP otherwise the electrolyte imbalance will harm your body.

In short, you need to find out whether fluids are permitted during fasting hours in your particular branch of Islam before making a decision about playing. Especially as you probably don't have a bunch of physios and personal trainers lookiing after you like professional AFL players.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When I was in my firefighting course we continued with the same training during the fasting month. I didn't fast but there were others who pushed through and managed at least half of the month.

Riggins

International Captain
I'm pretty sure Khawaja treats cricket and outside cricket differently. Any time he's at a match it's cricket as usual and outside of that he does whatever the religious stuff dictates.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I'm pretty sure Khawaja treats cricket and outside cricket differently. Any time he's at a match it's cricket as usual and outside of that he does whatever the religious stuff dictates.
Yeh, I've read this is ok if your mufti says it's ok

YorksLanka

International Debutant
All of the Muslim lads who play in my team continue to play through Ramadan and do uphold their fast( including fluids)..I am not a Muslim but I have huge respect for them for this..I don't think I could play personally..

Last edited:

The Coach

Cricket Spectator
"I'm a fairly young lad playing a lot of cricket and with Ramadan coming up, I have a lot of games during this period.
For example the first week is me playing a cricket festival with 6 games in 6 days
"

As well as bowling and fielding directives for young players, the ECB also promote the 7-4-2 guideline - i.e. no player should play more than 4 days in any 7 day period and not more than 2 days consecutively. Your coach should be aware of this.

As for Ramadan & fasting - if you are competing to a decent level it is impossible to perform to your best without proper hydration and fuel [carbs]. In serious heat / effort, it might even be dangerous. Social / fun cricket might be fine, but I'd give serious thought to one or the other for more competitive play.