• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

fastest bowlers in new Zealand right now?

thierry henry

International Coach
What bothers me about Sears is he’s about to turn 26 and everyone still talks about him like he’s a kid (particularly the “he’ll be a good bowler when he bulks up a bit” rubbish). If he’s gonna have an international career it really needs to start happening pretty soon. Just seems stuck at ‘project player’ level.

I say he’s not gonna be a thing just because that seems like where the smart money is. I’d be happier than anyone to see him get a good few years in at the top level.

thierry henry

International Coach
A general post on pace, and trying to pick the speed by your own eye - before they play at a higher level with a televised speed gun.

Shipley ended up being about 5kph faster than I thought he was, from watching him in domestics. (Think he has a quicker arm speed? that makes him quicker than he looks? dunno)

While O'Rourke was a bit slower.
The reason I immediately took a shine to O’Rourke was because he was bowling alongside Shipley and watching live at EPOO he seemed like a much faster, taller, bouncier version of Shipley. Speed gun doesn’t back that up yet though.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
What bothers me about Sears is he’s about to turn 26 and everyone still talks about him like he’s a kid (particularly the “he’ll be a good bowler when he bulks up a bit” rubbish). If he’s gonna have an international career it really needs to start happening pretty soon. Just seems stuck at ‘project player’ level.

I say he’s not gonna be a thing just because that seems like where the smart money is. I’d be happier than anyone to see him get a good few years in at the top level.
Yeah, the bulking up thing just isn't a thing. I can't see that it'd do anything for him, because the issues with him at the moment are his radar, he probably doesn't use his height well enough and doesn't do much if anything with it.

It gives me no pleasure to write him off and I shouldn't. His T20I record is actually good, but when you watch him you can't see it transferring into an ODI or Test career....and no one gives three ****s about a T20I career. It's actually weird writing this and thinking soon no one may be able to give a **** about an ODI career, either. And next time we play one, I'll almost be a year older.

Flem274*

123/5
I think Sears has good clay and he's done well at domestic level but the injuries and Wellington dad's army shenanigans have really slowed his opportunities to develop.

I've always liked him and we're 4 years out from the next important world cup and have a test attack that realistically needs new blood right now, so I'm cool with giving him opportunities.

anonymouskefe

School Boy/Girl Captain
The reason I immediately took a shine to O’Rourke was because he was bowling alongside Shipley and watching live at EPOO he seemed like a much faster, taller, bouncier version of Shipley. Speed gun doesn’t back that up yet though.
Saw O'rouke bowl multiple balls over 143kph in the last two games against Bangladesh. Not to sure why we cant get speed gun in the domestic t20's would love to see it.

anonymouskefe

School Boy/Girl Captain
Ben Sears was clocked at 148 a few times in the 3rd t20 against the bangers. Mcmillan and scotty stevenson were also mentioning that he hit 150 on one ball. I did not watch his full 4 overs so can't confirm. No doubt sears is capable though. Could get quicker if he decides to not be a slender man anymore. Come in chris donaldson.

Also, just saw a short from the rocketfactory IG page feauturing nz u19 player ewald schreuder. They claim he's been clocked at 139kph before. Strong claim. Does seem to have a solid action tbf. Will see what sort of pace he hits during the upcoming u19 wc in SA.
Yes Ewald Schreuder is quick played with him before hes originally from South Africa so could be another one SA have lost.

Last edited:

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
What bothers me about Sears is he’s about to turn 26 and everyone still talks about him like he’s a kid (particularly the “he’ll be a good bowler when he bulks up a bit” rubbish). If he’s gonna have an international career it really needs to start happening pretty soon.
Under the Stead regime he's still got another 5-6 years to develop I guess.

Athlai

Not Terrible
wasn't lockie a very unfinished product when he debuted at 25 yo? would bowl good pace for 1 short spell and go down to 130s for the remaining? i believe chris donaldson could help sears
Yeah was only bowling heat for about 3 overs in a day, came back in a huge way not that long afterward and we all kind of forgot about it