• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

fastest bowlers in new Zealand right now?

thundaboult

International Debutant
Lockie has had some injuries too now, not as many as starc but has also played much less cricket. A shame really when you see what lockie is capable of even after a couple layoffs.

Flem274*

123/5
Taylor's 290 often gets written down as being made on a highway, but he deserves enormous credit for withstanding Starc that day as that's the sort of bowling that has routinely made NZ collapse in a heap over the years.
but this isn't the narrative that serves the correct interests

thundaboult

International Debutant
Not to mention the 2 edges that exploded through the slips hands. Honestly think the only other spell that I've ever seen that compares in terms of raw pace was Akhtar at the Basin in 2003 when he bowled NZ out for a hundred on a complete road. Taylor's 290 often gets written down as being made on a highway, but he deserves enormous credit for withstanding Starc that day as that's the sort of bowling that has routinely made NZ collapse in a heap over the years.
Also deserves credit for doin all that with a dodgy eye, Ross "arrrrgh" Taylor. 290 of the best runs a pirate can score. Only if he had a pet parrot on one shoulder + a hook for a hand.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hate to be 'that' guy, but feel that speed gun was a little off since I noticed even Hardik Pandya got a bouncer through at 143kms, (when he's usually late 130s) and Boult seemed a couple of kms up on his average.

Don't get me wrong, it was a quick ball since Buttler was clearly late on it, but suspect it was probably 153-154, and not 157.3

That said, it's likely some of the other fastest deliveries ever recorded probably had a more generous speed gun on the day.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Hate to be 'that' guy, but feel that speed gun was a little off since I noticed even Hardik Pandya got a bouncer through at 143kms, (when he's usually late 130s) and Boult seemed a couple of kms up on his average.

Don't get me wrong, it was a quick ball since Buttler was clearly late on it, but suspect it was probably 153-154, and not 157.3
Probably could be put down to the bowlers putting in a bit of extra effort with it being the final and all?

Xix2565

International Debutant

That said, it's likely some of the other fastest deliveries ever recorded probably had a more generous speed gun on the day.
I mean Hardik can bowl that fast. Most Indian pacers aren't exactly medium pacers, a lot are people who can kick it up to close to or past 140 km/h.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I mean Hardik can bowl that fast. Most Indian pacers aren't exactly medium pacers, a lot are people who can kick it up to close to or past 140 km/h.
I'm well aware Hardik is more than capable of >140, but it's much harder to get a bouncer through at a speed of 143 kms which is what made me pause.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Ben Sears was clocked at 148 a few times in the 3rd t20 against the bangers. Mcmillan and scotty stevenson were also mentioning that he hit 150 on one ball. I did not watch his full 4 overs so can't confirm. No doubt sears is capable though. Could get quicker if he decides to not be a slender man anymore. Come in chris donaldson.

Also, just saw a short from the rocketfactory IG page feauturing nz u19 player ewald schreuder. They claim he's been clocked at 139kph before. Strong claim. Does seem to have a solid action tbf. Will see what sort of pace he hits during the upcoming u19 wc in SA.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't like to be down on cricketers, or people in general...and in actual fact it has been a tremendous boon to people's careers in the past when I have been.

But I just don't see it in Ben Sears. Yes, pace and all that, but I've not really seen him hurry anyone of international class. Doesn't really have any tools other than the (apparent) ability to hit high 140s at times. Wonky radar, seems eminently hittable. Hope this is another time I'm spectacularly wrong. I'm not sure bulking up is going to do anything for him, either.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Sears definitely needs a few more tools but I think its not unreasonable to expect his bowling to develop

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, just doing my bit for his career by writing him off. I dunno, let's see if he wants it enough, if his body holds up, if he can develop something. At the moment, he's there as Adam Milne was early in his career - because he hits speeds on the radar, but isn't in the best 3-4 seamers or maybe even the best 6-7 at the selection table. If you're picking someone best equipped to do his job in T20, it's Nathan Smith and you get more runs, too.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
An issue for Sears has been how injury prone he's been since his breakthrough domestic season in 2019/20. Really don't think his game has developed at all - in fact it's arguably gone backwards (I remember him swinging one back through Raval's gate in 2019 at what looked like about 195kmh). If he can stay fit going forwards then I would expect him to become a much more well rounded bowler.

Not necessarily sure he should be looking to bulk much though. With his action, the added weight might only make him more injury prone.

Flem274*

123/5
Ultimately the success of genuine quicks I'd the sane as the fact mediums - nailing the corridor of uncertainty 6 from 6.

Sears is unlikely to have his pace forever. He needs to future proof himself.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Also, just saw a short from the rocketfactory IG page feauturing nz u19 player ewald schreuder. They claim he's been clocked at 139kph before. Strong claim. Does seem to have a solid action tbf. Will see what sort of pace he hits during the upcoming u19 wc in SA.
This is footage of him bowling, in both instances about three-quarters of way through each of the videos. The left arm in the ND uniform.

In the U17 video, with the more side on camera view. He doesn't look quicker than Clarke or Rowe (who are both in squad).

In the U19 video, he looks sharper, but there is the 'towards the camera tax' you need to take off.

a year ago in this video (U17 tournament):
and here in the U19 tournament from a month ago:

Last edited:

Immenso

Sears has his change of pace variations fairly nailed, It's the sideways movement when bowling full pace that seems lacking from my viewing.

Which would probably see him OK suited to the T20 format.

Sadly.

Immenso

A general post on pace, and trying to pick the speed by your own eye - before they play at a higher level with a televised speed gun.

Shipley ended up being about 5kph faster than I thought he was, from watching him in domestics. (Think he has a quicker arm speed? that makes him quicker than he looks? dunno)

While O'Rourke was a bit slower.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
This is footage of him bowling, in both instances about three-quarters of way through each of the videos. The left arm in the ND uniform.

In the U17 video, with the more side on camera view. He doesn't look quicker than Clarke or Rowe (who are both in squad).

In the U19 video, he looks sharper, but there is the 'towards the camera tax' you need to take off.

a year ago in this video (U17 tournament):
and here in the U19 tournament from a month ago:
Impressive stuff from Tsourgas. Such a young man utilising the celebrappeal with such confidence is a rare thing. He'll go far.