• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Establishing the best decade for cricket: Finding the ATG XI from 12 decades of test cricket - then having a KO tourney to decide the best

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Waite and Davidson for the keeper and 4th bowler.

The number 6 is tough. I expect Soberts to win but I'm actually going to for his country-man Worrell, if only because his peak felt more of a 50's one.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Loathe as I am to ever not select Sir Garry, the problem (if you can call it that) with picking Sobers is that in 27 Tests in the 1950s he took just 31 wickets at 46, so you're faced with the same issue as the 1940s team by leaving yourself a bowler short. In the previous side there were mitigating circumstances - the lack of a top class spinner or fifth bowling options, and the presence of Bradman - but none of that is a factor here so there's no excuse in my opinion for leaving ourselves short.

It's no secret I'm a huge Keith Miller fan, but I just can't imagine a 1950s decade team without him in it. His averages weren't quite as good as they were in the '40s but he was more impactful. He had four genuinely exceptional series - two each against England and West Indies - plus a fifth, against South Africa, which looked to be heading the same way before being cut short by injury.

So as it stands, I'm picking:

Miller
Evans
Lindwall

If, however, Sobers is locked in at number 6 then my vote will be:

Sobers
Evans
Miller

Hope that makes sense!

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hutton
Hanif
Harvey
Weekes
Walcott
Sobers
Waite
Davidson
Laker
Bedser
Trueman

Waite and Evans tied on 5-5. Need someone to split that!

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
choose the captain of the 50s side and

pick the opening batsmen for the 60s side
as well as the number 3
and the opening bowlers