• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English leg spinners?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I actually managed to bounce out a nine year old with a leggie yesterday.

Make of that what you will...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Chubb said:
Atherton actually has 108 first-class wickets. In his autobiography he says that after his debut one of the Australians said he liked the look of his bowling but not his batting. Nasser was a very, very good schoolboy legspinner too, though he says he didn't really understand why he was so good at it, and he lost it when he started getting taller.
Atherton's career was over (as he said in his autobio) as soon as he bowled the village-green over to Dean Jones in 1989.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Autobahn said:
What's annoying is that someone who had the talent (Schofield) was an arrogant **** who never worked on his accuracy or even his game and expected stuff just to happen while someone who worked so hard at their game for years (Salisbury) just didn't posses the raw talent.

It's a right funny old game.
Salisbury possessed all the talent in The World, as his pre-2001 record shows.
Just didn't have the temperament for Test-cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
Generally it's pretty easy to tell the "not"s. I'd dispute the former assertion - when someone's a kid, you can tell if they've got the *potential* to play FC - but there is so much more to it, i.e. growing up, first.
Nasser Hussain was going fine until he grew up.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Chubb said:
Did you see the one Warne bowled at Pietersen at the end of the Lord's test? Just like that, you "just" bring the arm over a lot faster and bang it in- it didn't get up much but our guy had to duck.
Warne has bowled Bouncers since 2001\02.
And quite right, too.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
Doug Wright (108 Test wickets)
Eric Hollies (Ended Bradman's career)
John Wardle (mixed SLA and SLC)
Ian Salisbury (not too great)
Chris Schofield (worse still)
Me (even worse)
Douglas Wright was England's only passable wristspinner, though it's fair to say Hollies might've achieved more but for WWII.
Even Wright was pretty moderate by most standards - with a run-up like his, hardly surprising.
Almost Malinga-ish. In terms of run-up rather than action.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Jenner is doing a decent job with the Leg Spinners but as heis only over here for 12 weeks a year it going to be hard because Leg Spin is the hardest art to learn and master. Warne has got hit for the most 6s in test cricket and he is the greatest ever.... so you got to have a bit of time for them....... Langveldt is wrong they is only Adil Rashid(Yorkshire) out of the asians who is very good..... you can Argue the Jenners Academy does not work we look at the bowlers who have gone to Australia since 2001(Brian Johnson Scolhorship)

2001: Alex Tucker and Mark Lawson
2002: Michael Munday and Liam Crilly
2003: Adil Rashid and Mark Lawson and Andy Ward
2004: Bhashav Mogra and Patrick Turk
2005: Theo Brooks and William Beer

My Brother has been in the top 3 or 5 every year and has never managed to get on the plane

http://www.sxyc.co.uk/ws2004.html- 2004 leg spinners who attended Jenner Spin Camp

Anyway since 2001 Mark Lawson and Michael Munday are the only ones to haveplayed First Class Cricket from jenner Academy Daniel Shilvock and Andy Ward are Minor Counties players while 3-4 are on the fringes of Minor Counties and First Class Sides Academy... Simon Marshall did not qualify IIRC.... make up your own minds about it

But I feel in time a Good Leg spinner will come though the ranks and play for England

Barney Rubble

International Coach
chris.hinton said:
2004: Bhashav Mogra and Patrick Turk
2005: Theo Brooks and William Beer
Patrick Turk plays for my Uni 1st XI, I should be netting with him some time soon.

William Beer played against my school 1st XI when he was 14, and took 14-7-18-5. He's a prospect alright.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
chris.hinton said:
Anyway since 2001 Mark Lawson and Michael Munday are the only ones to haveplayed First Class Cricket from jenner Academy Daniel Shilvock and Andy Ward are Minor Counties players while 3-4 are on the fringes of Minor Counties and First Class Sides Academy... Simon Marshall did not qualify IIRC.... make up your own minds about it

But I feel in time a Good Leg spinner will come though the ranks and play for England
Simon Marshall certainly seemed to be a bit better than the crowd, but I'll not hold-out any real hopes until he bowls a decent number of overs.

Langeveldt

Soutie
chris.hinton said:
Langveldt is wrong they is only Adil Rashid(Yorkshire) out of the asians who is very good.
Oh yeah sorry chris they all must have been white :laugh: They must have put somethin in me tea!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The fact that you could look at that 5 year list and say "Who?" to all of them speaks volumes for the "quality" of the players coming through.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Marc that the Problem is the Development programme working. Are Counties even Minro Counties giving them a chance, is Jenner not here often all these are Question to be asked, I reckon that in 5 years they will be an excellent prospect

The Nearest is Lawson due to the fact he played and had Limited Success in the County Championship

Langeveldt

Soutie
Neil Pickup said:
Why do you keep setting yourself up to be reminded of how I clean bowled you with my wrong-un?
I hope you'll treasure that for the rest of your life, because it won't be happening again..

I was just so surprised it was a threat to my timbers..