• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Domestic Season 2023

mackembhoy

International Debutant
450 does sound a lot. Are the batting points for 250, 300, 350, 400 and 450 in the first 100 overs?

But have a look at Surrey's batting line-up. It's one thing Clark and Overton coming in at 160+ against a much older ball. Coming in at about half that score against a still newish ball is a different matter.
110 overs. I’m no expert on points systems over the years but I think Stokes/McCullum had some input into some changes for this year.
It's 450 in 110 for max batting points, with 250 for the first. Then 9 wickets within 110 for max bowling, with 3 the first bowling point.

The change for batting for this season purely down to Stokes/McCullum. It has been 200 for first batting point and increments of 50 till 400 in 110 for as long as I've been following county cricket.

Durham have really embraced the change, picked up 53/70 batting points this season with an average first innings score of 429. Goes up to 454 when you take out the non completed innings at Yorkshire of 106/1

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Should have added Stokes/McCullum also reduced the points from a draw from 8 to 5.

This bit below in an article about Durham success this year. Really further showing how Campbell style of cricket matches the England setup. With McCullum's former team-mate Franklin everything Stokes/McCullum wished to stop.

"Before last season, captain Scott Borthwick had a chat with James Franklin, Durham’s former coach. Franklin told him that the average team needs 13 points a game to get promoted. “It was a mindset of ‘if we draw every game, we probably go up’,” Borthwick recalls. “Fast forward 12 months, it’s how can we try and win?” - that sums Franklin up and backs up everything I've said. that was his boring dull mindset and it numbed everyone & prevented the captain from captaining especially with the declarations and it pissed the players off massively as they were very much held back.

Blenkinsop

U19 Cricketer
The Jacks/Lawes substitution is absolutely shocking IMO. Not that it'll affect the outcome of the championship, but they can hardly be considered like for like. (Also I don't really understand why Surrey would sub out their best bowler, but there you go.)

Tom Flint

International Regular
Should have added Stokes/McCullum also reduced the points from a draw from 8 to 5.

This bit below in an article about Durham success this year. Really further showing how Campbell style of cricket matches the England setup. With McCullum's former team-mate Franklin everything Stokes/McCullum wished to stop.

"Before last season, captain Scott Borthwick had a chat with James Franklin, Durham’s former coach. Franklin told him that the average team needs 13 points a game to get promoted. “It was a mindset of ‘if we draw every game, we probably go up’,” Borthwick recalls. “Fast forward 12 months, it’s how can we try and win?” - that sums Franklin up and backs up everything I've said. that was his boring dull mindset and it numbed everyone & prevented the captain from captaining especially with the declarations and it pissed the players off massively as they were very much held back.
It works for some but not for others. Franklin was a great captain for middlesex, Northants coach has said his players tried to play bazball too much this year.
But can't be denied Durham have been much better off changing tactics from franklins

Tom Flint

International Regular
Been watching muddlesex all morning, yadav has looked great even though looked an lbw candidate early on. Has allowed Higgins to not do too much up the other end and getting us in a strong position here. If our bowlers can do what they have done for the past 4 years we have a decent chance

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Jacks/Lawes substitution is absolutely shocking IMO. Not that it'll affect the outcome of the championship, but they can hardly be considered like for like. (Also I don't really understand why Surrey would sub out their best bowler, but there you go.)
Yeah it is weird. Surely he should have been in for Steel.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Liam Dawson HAS to be one of the first names on the India Tour squad. What a season he's having.
Has to with these numbers

With the ball
MatInnsBallsOversMdnsRunsWktsBBIAveEconSR45
14*171789298.164927456/4020.603.1039.7524

With the bat
MatInnsNORunsHSAveBFSR1005004s6s
14*21180614140.30144155.93341974

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Surrey adding another bat after they finished bowling as all they need for the title is bonus points
Now waiting on how Essex go in their batting for the title.

Essex ain't scoring 325 runs in 62 overs, so Surrey as well pop open the champagne tonight.

Molehill

International Captain
5 wickets for Dawson today, 800 runs at 40 and 45 wickets at 20 in the season. If he's not on that plane to India then something is seriously wrong.

Edit: Sorry, realise others have beaten me to it. But underlines how many are recognising his value.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Surrey in a spot of bother
Yeah, it was always possible. Which is why I felt that the assumptions that they would coast to a couple of batting points was insufficiently respectful to Hampshire's bowling and rather over-respectful to Surrey's recent batting. Beyond that, I can only echo other people's sentiments about the Jacks/Lawes replacement (if TL was injured, surely Atkinson was the like-for-like substitute) and that Dawson really should be on the flight to India.

Yeoman

U19 Cricketer
350 almost up for Kent so they now need only to match Middlesex’s result to stay up. The pitch now seems pretty placid so a draw at least should be in the bag. Onus on Middlesex to win.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
I *think* that another 275 and a win gives Essex a share of the title if Surrey lose.
I didn't know that was possible. They need 275 and win(plus surrey loss), to win it outright.

400 and a win(plus surrey loss) would then as you've now informed me, see them share the title.

BBC headline is "Surrey champions if Essex fail to make 400" which is factual but then also wrong. As Essex making 400 in 111+ overs would also see Surrey win the title outright

Last edited: