• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Domestic Season 2023

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Essex can consider themselves a bit unlucky to be on the wrong end of Rob Keogh producing one of those occasional innings when he lives up to the early-career reputation. And I think an Essex win is still on unless they have a disasterous first innings, which would blow their batting points anyway. But if Essex to make 350 or 400, Porter and Cook are so good that they could easily skittle Northants for not many second time around and set up an achievable 4th innings target.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Essex can consider themselves a bit unlucky to be on the wrong end of Rob Keogh producing one of those occasional innings when he lives up to the early-career reputation. And I think an Essex win is still on unless they have a disasterous first innings, which would blow their batting points anyway. But if Essex to make 350 or 400, Porter and Cook are so good that they could easily skittle Northants for not many second time around and set up an achievable 4th innings target.
I think Essex are likely to need 450 unless Surrey completely collapse aren’t they. Can’t see it myself

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Watching your boys now. It is a shame that they can’t televise these crunch games so we aren’t stuck with the one camera and local comms
I don't mind the camera, but the local comms are variable. Obvs I'm biased, but Surrey's Mark Church always strikes me as very fair. As are most of them tbf. But there are a few who are chippy as anything. I remember watching Somerset's live stream a couple of times. The young guys were great. The old bloke, not so much.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't mind the camera, but the local comms are variable. Obvs I'm biased, but Surrey's Mark Church always strikes me as very fair. As are most of them tbf. But there are a few who are chippy as anything. I remember watching Somerset's live stream a couple of times. The young guys were great. The old bloke, not so much.
Yeah these guys are fine, wasn’t a knock on them, just prefer impartiality. Also scarred by the inadequacy of the TRFC comms on iFollow.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I think Essex are likely to need 450 unless Surrey completely collapse aren’t they. Can’t see it myself
450 does sound a lot. Are the batting points for 250, 300, 350, 400 and 450 in the first 100 overs?

But have a look at Surrey's batting line-up. It's one thing Clark and Overton coming in at 160+ against a much older ball. Coming in at about half that score against a still newish ball is a different matter.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
450 does sound a lot. Are the batting points for 250, 300, 350, 400 and 450 in the first 100 overs?

But have a look at Surrey's batting line-up. It's one thing Clark and Overton coming in at 160+ against a much older ball. Coming in at about half that score against a still newish ball is a different ball game.
110 overs. I’m no expert on points systems over the years but I think Stokes/McCullum had some input into some changes for this year.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Many years ago, late 1990s or early 2000s, Surrey's final match of the season was against their nearest rivals, and there was a similar points gap to this season. I remember someone asking Adam Hollioake whether he'd thought about declaring early to deprive his rivals of the bowling points that they needed to have chance of winning the CC. iirc AH's response was unprintable in a family website.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Apparently today's was Northants first batting point in home matches this season, but I couldn't tell you how much that's down to the state of their batting and how much it's down to the state of the Northants wicket.

Yeoman

U19 Cricketer
Too early to call the relegation struggle. Lancs have a score on the board that could prove significant with the pitch already taking some turn. Middlesex not terrible against Notts.

Blenkinsop

U19 Cricketer
Apparently today's was Northants first batting point in home matches this season, but I couldn't tell you how much that's down to the state of their batting and how much it's down to the state of the Northants wicket.
Wantage Road has mostly been slow and low. Typically the first morning is difficult for batting and then it gets easier. Last year almost every game there was a draw because it was so hard to get people out in the second innings.

So even though Northants' batting always has the potential to implode at any minute, it won't be easy for Essex to force a win from here, especially if the storm takes some time out of the game tomorrow and Thursday.

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
Another solid batting performance by Durham today.

Hopefully we can carry our form into division one next season.

Third_Man

U19 Cricketer
There was a case in 1988 when Essex named Gooch in the team for a match at the Oval even though the Test Match against Sri Lanka at Lord’s had yet to finish. Sri Lanka held out than expected and so Gooch missed the start of the match however he was not allowed a full substitute.
That's interesting, so I stand corrected that they never joined a game half way through but maybe was that different, in that he was named as they expected him to be available for the whole match.
Under the current rules they would have been able to nominate someone to start the match as a full substitute.
I'll have to check up, but there was a game a few seasons back when I think a player and team were penalised for effectively playing two matches at the same time (leaving a competitive match to play in an evening match, iirc)

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Kent at least got max. bowling points but they need to be looking at two/three batting points. Middlesex have had a decent start but hopefully Notts pull it back. Obviously the overall result will be key, but it could hinge on the first innings bonus points. Weather looks decent for both games though.

Third_Man

U19 Cricketer
Kent at least got max. bowling points but they need to be looking at two/three batting points. Middlesex have had a decent start but hopefully Notts pull it back. Obviously the overall result will be key, but it could hinge on the first innings bonus points. Weather looks decent for both games though.
Kent will be calling up Crawley. Middlesex?

Third_Man

U19 Cricketer
Apparently Crawley (and Hartley) not expected until tomorrow.
Rationale suggested was that even though the England match finished early yesterday, it was supposed to be a D/N match so might have been a late night drive. Neither at the ground according to the comms teams on Kent's youtube stream.
Except down at Surrey:
Jacks for Lawes (will bat today!) Lawes only took a 5/ yesterday!
Smith for Patel from the third innings.

Like for like is not necessary apparently. Just availability for half the match (or more).

The muddle of who arrives when is surely making this an even bigger farce.