• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Domestic Season 2023

Third_Man

U19 Cricketer
Both teams get 8 pts for the abandonement.

Thats the equivalent of scoring 450 runs (5 bonus points) & taking 9-10 wkts (3 bonus points) in 110 overs,(Extremely difficult to do) and losing the match.

I reckon 8 points is too many for a complete washout, maybe 5 at best, wouldn't be surprised if either side gets promoted by less than 8 points, that a county will complain if they miss out.

Had the match lasted just 5 overs, and been abandoned after the second day, they would have got 5 points for a draw.
Or it's the equivalent of drawing the match after each side was bowled out for less than 250 inside 110 overs.

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
Durham set Worcestershire 314 to win in 70 overs.

Looking at the pitch I think Durham have declared a bit early here.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
At some point, Surrey vs Hampshire could come down to how brave Vince is feeling about a declaration. Unless Surrey bowl them out, my guess is that Hampshire will declare late-morning tomorrow when they're 300 ahead.
Hmmm. I would have liked a few more. Usually back Hampshire in these situations but feel like Surrey chased these sorts of totals quite a bit last year.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Really dissapointing game from the kent batsmen. Expect the bowling to be poor but a lineup of Crawley-compton-DBD-Denly-leaning-cox-billings really shouldn't be getting embarrased like this. Worcs do have a fantastic seam bowling lineup, tbf.

tony p

First Class Debutant
Ben Compton showing that he is probably the best defensive player in County Cricket.
Excellent technique, has the ability to bat time, never seems worried if he is scoreless for a period of time, just very old school, great too see someone who can just bat.

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
Tense game at Durham.

At tea Worcestershire need 239 more runs. Durham need 5 wickets.

39 overs minimum to be bowled

Blenkinsop

U19 Cricketer
Looking like a long season for Middlesex. They don't really seem to have recruited any quality players other than Higgins and their top order is woeful at the moment.

Tom Flint

International Regular
We will be ok I think. We don't lose to many to intl or blast. Our bowling will win a few games, trj, Helm, murtagh, Bamber, Higgins, Anderson, Hollman.
Batting has always been a problem but we have a good middle order who often drag us to a semi competitive score

FBU

International Debutant
Ben Compton showing that he is probably the best defensive player in County Cricket.
Excellent technique, has the ability to bat time, never seems worried if he is scoreless for a period of time, just very old school, great too see someone who can just bat.
Maybe he can give Crawley a few tips as Crawley thinks HE has a good defense

gmdf

Cricket Spectator
Maybe he can give Crawley a few tips as Crawley thinks HE has a good defense

Crawley has had plenty of time to watch his opening partner bat in the first two matches, so I'm sure he doesn't need us to tell him. In fact in the first innings vs Northants he played very well for a 90 made in difficult conditions for batting. From what I saw on the live stream, he was unlucky to fall foul of an atrocious decision in the second innings vs Warwickshire too.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Pope too good.

Surrey got to be huge favourites to win it again this year.
Obviously it's good to beat one of the other leading contenders; let's hope we actually get to play each other twice this year. At this stage it seems to be between our two counties, Essex and Lancashire. Of those, Essex and Hampshire will benefit from not losing players to international call-ups. Lancashire won't see much of Jimmy of course, but they look pretty solid anyway. Without wishing to overstate matters, Surrey's batting is more dependent on the top 3 this year; as we saw in the first innings against Hampshire. So there will be more of a chance of us being dismissed cheaply, especially once Pope and Foakes are on England duty. I think it's going to end up pretty close between the four teams that I mentioned.

EDIT
And all of that ignores the current leaders, as @Red_Ink_Squid will politely point out.

Last edited:

Molehill

International Captain
Obviously it's good to beat one of the other leading contenders; let's hope we actually get to play each other twice this year. At this stage it seems to be between our two counties, Essex and Lancashire. Of those, Essex and Hampshire will benefit from not losing players to international call-ups. Lancashire won't see much of Jimmy of course, but they look pretty solid anyway. Without wishing to overstate matters, Surrey's batting is more dependent on the top 3 this year; as we saw in the first innings against Hampshire. So there will be more of a chance of us being dismissed cheaply, especially once Pope and Foakes are on England duty. I think it's going to end up pretty close between the four teams that I mentioned earlier.
Worth remembering that when they lose Pope and Foakes, they likely regain Sam Curran (and at some point Jacks too). I'm struggling to see how Surrey don't win it with their International bowling line up unaffected by Test Cricket.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Worth remembering that when they lose Pope and Foakes, they likely regain Sam Curran (and at some point Jacks too). I'm struggling to see how Surrey don't win it with their International bowling line up unaffected by Test Cricket.
Yeah, I won't pretend to have any sort of grip on how the season is scheduled after the initial batch of county matches. Presumably Curran and, maybe, Jacks will miss some county games due to England's white-ball commitments. Comparing things to last season, 12 months ago we had both of those playing in the first few rounds of county matches as Curran had to miss the IPL and Jacks wasn't picked for it anyway. All that being said, I am quite looking forward to seeing Surrey's line-up in September unless we lose Curran and Jacks to some spurious one day series.