• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Englands next best spinner

Englands second best spinner

• Gareth Batty

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Richard Dawson

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Chris Schofield

• Graeme Swann

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Gary Keedy

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Min Patel

• Jeremy Snape

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Jason Brown

• Ian Blackwell

• Shaun Udal

Votes: 6 17.6%

• Total voters

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Originally Posted by vic_orthdox
In all honesty, they're probably not much worse than what we have to choose from here, outside of MacGill and Warne.
hahah thats true.. same goes for us.. aside from vettori and our number 2 man wiseman theres hardly any other people..

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
lord_of_darkness said:
hahah thats true.. same goes for us.. aside from vettori and our number 2 man wiseman theres hardly any other people..
*Aside from Vettori there's hardly any other people..

BoyBrumby

Englishman
wpdavid said:
Sounds about right. Now that the CC is up & running again, I would imagine the likes of Batty, Swann, Keedy & maybe even Dawson are playing for the 2nd spinner's place, which isn't an encouraging thought.

Someone who's not been mentioned yet is Doshi. He probably isn't in the frame this year unles he takes about 30 wickets between now and the ened of the season, but maybe one for the future.
Saw him against Leicestershire last night & was quietly impressed with his bowling. Gives it quite a rip. Nixon got after him a bit in his last over (which he came back to bowl, Ramprakash shoulda let him bowl out for my money), but before that he bowled 8 overs for 30 taking 2 wickets. His fielding needs work tho!

I had a look on cricinfo & was surprised to see his return for the year had been so ordinary. If he turns out to be half as good as his old man he'll do ok.

Hanuma

School Boy/Girl Captain
there must be one.

if not, that must be a slamming indigtment of the people teaching our kids.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
blackwell can on very rare occasions, after that there arent any i can think of, and blackwell does it so rarely hes hardly worth a mention.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Hanuma said:
there must be one.

if not, that must be a slamming indigtment of the people teaching our kids.
I'm sorry, but that's tripe.

Finger spinners don't turn it big. Wrist spinners do. Wrist spinners are by dint of English conditions only effective in July and August and get whacked for the rest of the year. Coaches can only encourage so much. There are three reasonably young wristies coming through - Simon Marshall (Lancs), Michael Munday (Somst) and Mark Lawson (Yorks) - as a not-indirect result of the Terry Jenner Elite Wrist Spin coaching scheme - but none seem to be making a particularly large "pick me" shout.

We're doing all we can - and as a national coaching structure, things aren't going so bad right now - are they?

Neil Pickup
Coach - Exeter CC & East Devon Colts

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Yes Neil i can back you up their on my mate Simon Marshall, he's got potential for sure 8-)

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
shaun Udal a great hampshire stalwart for years and a very wiley old customer. Ive never properly seen keedy but udal showed last week at cheltnham with his 6 wickets he is still a very good county spinner

Pothas said:
shaun Udal a great hampshire stalwart for years and a very wiley old customer. Ive never properly seen keedy but udal showed last week at cheltnham with his 6 wickets he is still a very good county spinner
Shanie says without bias that he gets better with age and that the stats back it up.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Shane Warne said:
Shanie says without bias that he gets better with age and that the stats back it up.
He has benifited greatly from having warne as captain as he uses him more positivly. He also has the avantage of now playing in a good side that has a lot of confidence and atacking intent

Hanuma

School Boy/Girl Captain
Neil Pickup said:
I'm sorry, but that's tripe.

Finger spinners don't turn it big. Wrist spinners do. Wrist spinners are by dint of English conditions only effective in July and August and get whacked for the rest of the year. Coaches can only encourage so much. There are three reasonably young wristies coming through - Simon Marshall (Lancs), Michael Munday (Somst) and Mark Lawson (Yorks) - as a not-indirect result of the Terry Jenner Elite Wrist Spin coaching scheme - but none seem to be making a particularly large "pick me" shout.

We're doing all we can - and as a national coaching structure, things aren't going so bad right now - are they?

Neil Pickup
Coach - Exeter CC & East Devon Colts

maybe so....but surely you must appreciate that world class wrist spin is arguably the most dangerous form of bowling and that a top international side like england could do with a few.

is it not short sighted to not focus in on it because it hard to do in english conditions....and after all, if you are good enough you could spin it on most surfaces in most conditions.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Hanuma said:
maybe so....but surely you must appreciate that world class wrist spin is arguably the most dangerous form of bowling and that a top international side like england could do with a few.

is it not short sighted to not focus in on it because it hard to do in english conditions....and after all, if you are good enough you could spin it on most surfaces in most conditions.
You can only work with the resources you have; potential Shane Warnes don't come along every five minutes. How many wristies have played the world game since World War 2?

Look for the current generation of kids, influenced by Warnie, to come through by 2015 and then make your judgements/

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
You can only work with the resources you have; potential Shane Warnes don't come along every five minutes. How many wristies have played the world game since World War 2?

Look for the current generation of kids, influenced by Warnie, to come through by 2015 and then make your judgements/
goop points here Neil, but looking at the way Warne has influenced a lot of blokes in wanting to become leg-spinners i think we could well & see a lot of leg-spin protigies in the next 10 years...

Hanuma

School Boy/Girl Captain
you make good points, but i feel there is a difference between shane warne who is a legend and a world class wrist spinner.

nevertheless, did you not see the turn that the sri lankan undre 19's were getting in the odi series....immense.