• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England test tour of Pakistan December 2022

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Current Sarfraz no but Rizwan in tests is not a patch on Sarfraz 2013-2016 he turned a decent Pak side to great during that period
Rizwan is one of two people in contention for best red ball keeper bat in the world and made a 4th innings ton against AUS a few matches ago. Dropping him would be INSANE unless it's for Gilchrist

Xuhaib

International Coach
Mir Hamza too. Abbas at his worst still dried up runs. And he would've been very useful when it was reversing.
Sameen Gul another one.
Hamza, Abbas, Sameen have been the only 3 pacers who top charts season in season out but for some reason are not good enough for this XI

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In a normal world even with injuries we could have fielded this attack in this series
Abbas
Hassan
Shadab
Yasir
Abrar

Is this an elite attack? No! but is it better then the dross that was served here? Certainly yes!
Still a long tail though, though Hasan and Yasir can bat a bit.

That's part of Rizwan's issues. He's playing out of position to accommodate a long bowling lineup (Faheem can be considered an allrounder I suppose, and Nawaz *ugh*) and Salman.

Salman is the real puzzler. His FC batting stats don't look bad. But playing him batting below Rizwan as an allrounder with his filthy off breaks, and not even bowling him? Yuck. Either he bats above Rizwan and earns his spot as a batsman, or someone else bats 5 IMO.

Xuhaib

International Coach
That Shakeel decision proved to be very costly for Pakistan.
A win here and a draw in the first game would have masked a very poor series from Pakistan. Babar and Saqi are getting just deserts for their incompetence with lady luck also not favoring them.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Still a long tail though, though Hasan and Yasir can bat a bit.

That's part of Rizwan's issues. He's playing out of position to accommodate a long bowling lineup (Faheem can be considered an allrounder I suppose, and Nawaz *ugh*) and Salman.

Salman is the real puzzler. His FC batting stats don't look bad. But playing him batting below Rizwan as an allrounder with his filthy off breaks, and not even bowling him? Yuck. Either he bats above Rizwan and earns his spot as a batsman, or someone else bats 5 IMO.
Salman is another brain dead selection not as bad as Zahid but pretty poor in his own right. If FC performance are the main criteria there are atleast 4-5 more deserving bats also his bowling is a non factor.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah picking bits and pieces selections shows they have no clear idea what their strengths are and are trying to paper over cracks with #options. Salman is a very weird selection. Fawad Alam's experience would certainly have helped in the midst of these collapses.

Spark

Global Moderator
What's happened with this England team is an anomaly. Not saying leadership can't have a big impact. But thereve been plenty of great teams that make do with merely good captains. Pakistan's bowling and selection is so problematic right now that they'd probably still suck even with a good captain (although if babar had a hand in the selections for the first test it's a different story) . I still can't wrap my head around their bowling attack for that game.
So when I refer to leadership, I'm referring to far more than captaincy. The whole set up seems suspect from a mentality POV, and Ramiz being a rentaquote with a victim complex is not helping one little bit.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Salman is another brain dead selection not as bad as Zahid but pretty poor in his own right. If FC performance are the main criteria there are atleast 4-5 more deserving bats also his bowling is a non factor.
I don't follow the QeA that closely so I don't know where the averages are at. I'm used to mid-30s averaging picks in Australia. In the short time he's been around I've never, ever thought he'd have an impact with bat or especially ball. It is crazy the way Pakistan will dis-balance the team to accommodate such a player.