• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Team for New Zealand Series

Woodster

International Captain
Would you be able to expand on this? Guys like Lawrence, Clarke, Livingstone and more established players such as Northeast, Hildreth and Rory Burns have good records. The first three aren't novices anymore which belies there age. They have both played over 40 first-class games (roughly 2 1/2 seasons) which is good experience

I understand not changing the team for NZ too much as it's basically an extended tour, but these players have to be introduced in the summer.
In my opinion we have COverton, Tom Curran, Mason Crane, Daniel Lawrence, Joe Clarke, to a lesser extent Liam Livingstone, amongst others, that in my opinion shouldn't really be playing Test cricket for England at this point. I appreciate we have to pick XI and it may be that some of these players have to be thrown in to see how they do, I just hope they're managed properly and don't suffer any long-term damage. It's a difficult situation and in a perfect world these players would be allowed to develop in county cricket and Lions cricket and be dipped into international cricket when the time and opportunity are right. I get that this is far from an ideal world though.

If there is a hugely talented young player then there will be times he'll benefit from being thrust into international cricket at an early age, I'm just not sure the guys I've mentioned should be doing it yet.

That said, I'm not against including Livingstone ahead of Ballance for the NZ tour and let him bat without any undue pressure down the order.

Groundking

International Debutant
Would you be able to expand on this? Guys like Lawrence, Clarke, Livingstone and more established players such as Northeast, Hildreth and Rory Burns have good records. The first three aren't novices anymore which belies there age. They have both played over 40 first-class games (roughly 2 1/2 seasons) which is good experience

I understand not changing the team for NZ too much as it's basically an extended tour, but these players have to be introduced in the summer.
IMO Lawrence and Clarke need another year in the CC imo, Livingstone has been called up now and I think it's time for him to play, Northeast is crap, I have championed Hildreth in the past, but last year he was crap in the CC, and Rory Burns will get his chance before long with our never ending merri-go-round of opening partners for Cook.

I know this wasn't directed at me but thought I'd give my 2 cents.

Bijed

International Regular
Isn't Livingstone more like a T20 player? Then why not add him in T20s first?
We tried him in T20s agains South Africa last year. It didn't go very well. A duck and a 20-odd at a <100 SR iirc.

Edit: Btw, just to be clear, nothing against selecting him for the test side

Last edited:

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Yes Livingstone was terrible in those t20s.

I don't mind his selection for the tests though. Shown the ability on occasion to bat long periods for Lancs. And has the talent. Still pretty raw tho.

Can be a bit loose against pace- little reminscent of Michael Clarke in some of his dismisals I think - Bottom hand coming off the bat as he loses control of some big drives when the ball moves.

I'd agree that he's a middle order bat at this point, shouldn't be at 3 for this series if he does play. Was standout bat on lions tour to SL, and scored a double ton against Jeetan Patel on a wearing pitch this past season. SO this might actually be good forward planning with next winters tour to SL and WI in mind. Wouldn't mind him at 5 or 6 for those tours judging on what I've seen. Certainly better of picking him than Joe Clarke in that regard who tends to push at spin with hard hands. Haven't seen enough of Lawrence against spin to really judge him in that regard.

Can be kamikaze against quick short bowling so probably best he missed this ashes tour.

Last edited:

Firebreaker

Banned
So England have adopted Pak policy as well to drop player without giving him a chance but in this case I agree with them but Vince and when will TRJ get fit again?

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Probably about the same time they consider similar sentiments about Moeen Ali.
I've seen Moeen score big runs in India and contribute to a win in South Africa with the ball off the top of my head.

Woakes has never been anything other than village and a waste of a spot every time he's played away from home.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
If there's anywhere in the world outside of England that Woakes will be a threat, it's New Zealand. Of course he'll need to know how to swing the Kookaburra when it's a bit older so that could be an issue.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Isn't Livingstone more like a T20 player?
Nah he's actually much better in red ball cricket.

Then why not add him in T20s first?
Despite my answer to the first half of your post, they actually did do this... and he sucked. Even beyond that, England are finding it much easier to find short form batsmen at the moment, so there's a lot more competition for spots there. England could well find themselves in a situation where a batsman who's better at T20 cricket than FC cricket is good enough for their Test team but not their T20 team, without it being in any way contradictory (arguably this has already happened with Malan).

It's almost like your post is from some sort of bizarroworld.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd be really surprised if Tom Curran was ever good enough. There's nothing that suggests that will be the case.

Right-arm James Faulkner IMO.
I think it'll depend a bit on what his priorities are. I wouldn't be that surprised if he developed into a decent Test cricketer, but he'd have to really focus on that particular aspiration, putting aside his more immediately relevant limited overs skills.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would be surprised if he is ever a regular Test cricketer.

As others have said it is difficult to make big changes at this stage and we actually have one more batsman (at least for now) than we started the ashes with. Would expect more changes by the first Test this summer though.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah he's actually much better in red ball cricket.

Despite my answer to the first half of your post, they actually did do this... and he sucked. Even beyond that, England are finding it much easier to find short form batsmen at the moment, so there's a lot more competition for spots there. England could well find themselves in a situation where a batsman who's better at T20 cricket than FC cricket is good enough for their Test team but not their T20 team, without it being in any way contradictory (arguably this has already happened with Malan).

It's almost like your post is from some sort of bizarroworld.
Yep, Vince is also a much better performer in limited overs cricket than he is in First Class cricket. Obviously he is not really good enough for the test team but the fact he has been making it into that team more than the limited overs team illustrates your point.

FBU

International Debutant
I'd be really surprised if Tom Curran was ever good enough. There's nothing that suggests that will be the case.

Right-arm James Faulkner IMO.
I haven't expected Curran to get a run in the side. He was just an injury replacement, just as Broad and Anderson had been in their early careers. In white ball cricket Curran has got the ball up to 88.4mph. He is still only 22 and Brett Lee was saying that if he made a couple of adjustments he would get faster. For the time being he will be good in T20s.

I do like his batting. Remembered when he opening the batting for Surrey in a f/c game and got 53 (104) v Lancs while the rest of the team got single figures.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Today's Cricket Paper is basically saying Chris Silverwood will be taking over from Bayliss in 2019.