• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
In fairness Jennings has had a good season before today, although scoring runs in front of the sky cameras is always a good way of getting on a tour. Unfortunately for Jennings England are already stacked with quality opening options like Crawley and Lees....

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Has Mo definitely said he won't play the Test series? I thought the reports earlier in the Summer suggested he was considering it.

I'd expect Leach and Dawson to be the main spinners, then Root bowling the fill-in overs. Parkinson would probably be on the tour but wouldn't be surprised if he was carrying drinks most of the time. I suspect Stokes and two quicks will be selected too.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Has Mo definitely said he won't play the Test series? I thought the reports earlier in the Summer suggested he was considering it.

I'd expect Leach and Dawson to be the main spinners, then Root bowling the fill-in overs. Parkinson would probably be on the tour but wouldn't be surprised if he was carrying drinks most of the time. I suspect Stokes and two quicks will be selected too.
Yeah, I thought Mo was Pretty much certain to play, but I may have missed a twist or two.

Does look like Fisher, Stone and Wood are fit now, which does give us some options for the Tests. Would suggest they shouldn't rush to pick Fisher again after a long injury, but Wood should be in contention, as he's pretty used to coming back from Injuries, not sure of Stione yet. Topley has said he want's to play Tests too, could be a wildcard, certainly something different.

FBU

International Debutant
Yeah, I thought Mo was Pretty much certain to play, but I may have missed a twist or two.

Does look like Fisher, Stone and Wood are fit now, which does give us some options for the Tests. Would suggest they shouldn't rush to pick Fisher again after a long injury, but Wood should be in contention, as he's pretty used to coming back from Injuries, not sure of Stione yet. Topley has said he want's to play Tests too, could be a wildcard, certainly something different.
Our Test Bowlers (14 including Stokes)
Speed - Wood, Archer, Stone, Mahmood, J Overton
Height - Broad, Robinson, C Overton
Swing - Anderson, Woakes, Curran, Potts, Fisher

Archer and Mahmood starting to bowl again. Both will be going to the UAE for outdoor bowling with the Test Squad that will play against the Lions. Guessing Stokes, Wood, Robinson, Anderson, Potts and Curran. I am assuming that Broad won't be going or will miss the UAE leg which is why he is playing for Notts now, hoping to make the trip.

Topley has bowled 105 first class overs this season. He wanted a rest from the last part of The Hundred.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...-couldn-t-have-done-more-to-seal-spot-1337907 stokes set to bat 4 in the wc.

Probably means we will see a side of
1.Buttler
2.Salt/Hales
3.Malan
4.Stokes
5.Brooks
6.Moeen
7.Curran/Livingstone (pending fitness)

Bit worried aboutt he batting, tbh. Malan and brooks were both horrible when they played in the bbl, and if they go with salt over hales, with buttler not having played in months and have curran at 7 the batting looks REALLY thin.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
I'd go with the bold option of playing your seven batsmen and getting overs from Stokes, Mo and Livingstone. Then your four best bowlers. Rash, Wood, Topley and either Woakes or Curran.

theegyptian

I'd favour Livingstone over Ali if they are competing for 1 spot. Livingstone has big bash experience and done decently, and offers the offspin/leg spin combination which is useful. Ali has a terrible record in Aus in test and ODI (and has played no t20). He struggles with the bounce when batting , and I doubt his off-spin is much of a consideration. Livingstone the better fielder too. Only thing to Moeen's advantage is he has been playing and done decently with the bat in this series, and Livingstone (and others) are lacking that match practice.

I'd probably go Buttler, Hales/Salt, Malan, Stokes, Brook, Livingstone, SCurran, Woakes, Wood, Rashid, Topley

but im not really sure given the lack of cricket most of them have had.

weeman27bob

International Regular
I feel like saying Buttler has been out for months is maybe a little harsh - he played his last game on August 18th and England's first game is October 22nd, so 2 months 4 days. Technically correct though of course.

weeman27bob

International Regular
I'd go with the bold option of playing your seven batsmen and getting overs from Stokes, Mo and Livingstone. Then your four best bowlers. Rash, Wood, Topley and either Woakes or Curran.
I think this would be my approach of choice, something like:

Buttler
Salt
Malan
Stokes
Brook
Livingstone
Moeen
Curran/Woakes
Wood
Rashid
Topley

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
I think this would be my approach of choice, something like:

Buttler
Salt
Malan
Stokes
Brook
Livingstone
Moeen
Curran/Woakes
Wood
Rashid
Topley
That would be my starting lineup. I'd want to be flexible with the batting order depending on wickets. If the third wicket falls after the 12th over, say, get Brook/Livingstone/Ali in ahead of Stokes.

theegyptian

Moeen and Broad seemed to have ruled themselves out of the Pakistan tour now.

Looks like Sam Curran, Stone, Jacks, Duckett, and likely Keaton Jennings touring.

Don't mind Curran, Duckett, and Jennings. Less enamoured with Stone and Jacks potential selection. Stone just doesn't have the fitness, maybe if he was an elite level bowler when fit you could take him but he's not. Jacks they seem to be hoping is some kind of Moeen Ali regen but that seems an optimistic sentiment - his bowling to me looks extremely basic, and he's spent most of his batting career in the midlower order (6 downwards). Moeen at least gave the ball a rip, and had batted at 3 regularly for Worcestershire when called up. Jacks doesn't even have a fc 5 wicket haul, in fact he has a paltry 21 wickets in 41 games.

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well none of S Curan, Jacks or Stone feel me with any great joy, but hopefully they won't play. I just don't think ther is a viable off-spinner, Patterson-White not ready and Bess isn't any good.

Anderson
Wood
Robinson
Leach
Stokes is a decent bowling line-up. Hopefully Jennings plays ahead of Lees too.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Won't risk Wood in tests between 2 LO WCs tbh. Bess can be expensive but can also get you wickets. I will give him another shot here in Pak. The pitches are usually very high scoring and flat, so bowlers who can purchase wickets can actually help you win games there.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Moeen and Broad seemed to have ruled themselves out of the Pakistan tour now.

Looks like Sam Curran, Stone, Jacks, Duckett, and likely Keaton Jennings touring.

Don't mind Curran, Duckett, and Jennings. Less enamoured with Stone and Jacks potential selection. Stone just doesn't have the fitness, maybe if he was an elite level bowler when fit you could take him but he's not. Jacks they seem to be hoping is some kind of Moeen Ali regen but that seems an optimistic sentiment - his bowling to me looks extremely basic, and he's spent most of his batting career in the midlower order (6 downwards). Moeen at least gave the ball a rip, and had batted at 3 regularly for Worcestershire when called up. Jacks doesn't even have a fc 5 wicket haul, in fact he has a paltry 21 wickets in 41 games.
At over 50 apiece too. I'd blanch at even calling him a useful part-timer.

Slightly less dire in T20, but it's a test tour.