• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
More seriously it is somewhat surprising that Dawson averages less against the top seven than Leach in that time.

Blenkinsop

U19 Cricketer
Stokes himself supposedly rags it miles when bowling offspin in the nets...

Given that there may be four left-handers in the Aussie top order I would imagine selectors might prefer an off-spinner to another left arm orthodox spinner. But the cupboard is pretty bare. Really hope they don't go back to Bess or pick Livingstone.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
More seriously it is somewhat surprising that Dawson averages less against the top seven than Leach in that time.
He took an absolute ton of wickets against Essex last season on a turning wicket.

I would guess there have been plenty of matches in the last few years where he has hardly bowled against the top 7.

Last edited:

Nicky

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
This is not quite related, but don't you think England should have or should consider Malan opening alongside Duckett ?
He's in good form and is a great cricketer. I think he deserves to play Test match cricket.

Malan, Duckett, Pope, Root, Stokes, Bairstow, Dawson/Ali, Robinson, Broad, Wood, Anderson
That would be my favorite XI, at the moment :)

Chin Music

State 12th Man
A big headache for England. No fan of Leach but he was the best option available, practically by default given the quality of the alternatives. Not sure Ahmed could or should be asked to step up. However, what are the options? Leach has 18 wickets in county cricket this summer so far, while past test picks like Dawson and Bess have 9. Being that very few English spinners have even had a chance to bowl, let alone impress with wickets.

A last hurrah for Mo?
Not been around the last few days as I was in Prague. As you will recall from 247, I was hardly Leach’s biggest backer , however what I will acknowledge is that he has learnt to bowl harder overs better than he has done as exemplified in the New Zealand series over there. Too often he had been penny plain and easy to attack. However, he does keep going and has got better at bowling 25 or so overs a day. Moeen won’t do that. It is a problem. That said, he has a fair few left handers sin the Aussie top seven. Perhaps that is something to work with.

Nicky

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hi !
I was wondering why Sam Hain has been under-considered by England ? He's 27, and averages over 40 in FC, 57 in 50-over, and 41 in T20!
Also, do you think Ben Compton will get a call one day ? Averages 54 in FC after 34 matches.
And finally, what about Ben Coad, from Derbyshire, who averages 20,22 with the ball and has 222 wickets to his name.
I'd rather see Sam Hain or Ben Compton opening alongside Duckett :)

Blenkinsop

U19 Cricketer
Hain is a quality player but there are no vacancies in the England middle order right now. Compton has done well but his average is padded by playing poor standard cricket in Zimbabwe.

Coad (who plays for Yorkshire not Derbyshire) is just the latest in a long string of medium pacers who take wickets for fun in the Championship but are deemed not fast enough for Test cricket. See also Jamie Porter, Sam Cook, Chris Rushworth, Ben Sanderson, Joe Leach, Tom Bailey, Tim Murtagh, Ollie Hannon-Dalby, Keith Barker, etc.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah in the end our Test side is pretty much decided, particularly in the middle-order. I still would always have Hain in 50 0vers, but I guess they can't get past the being a crim thing, fair enough.

Third_Man

U19 Cricketer
Hain is a quality player but there are no vacancies in the England middle order right now. Compton has done well but his average is padded by playing poor standard cricket in Zimbabwe.

Coad (who plays for Yorkshire not Derbyshire) is just the latest in a long string of medium pacers who take wickets for fun in the Championship but are deemed not fast enough for Test cricket. See also Jamie Porter, Sam Cook, Chris Rushworth, Ben Sanderson, Joe Leach, Tom Bailey, Tim Murtagh, Ollie Hannon-Dalby, Keith Barker, etc.
Yes, but Tim Murtagh played test cricket: 13 wickets at 16.38 BB 5-13 (HS 54*) - I guess it can help depending on where your grandfather was born.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
I don't think Ben Coad will play Test cricket, but can't see how Sam Cook isn't a Broad/Anderson injury away from playing tbh. Compton is unlikely to play internationals for England. Hain should've played Tests in the last couple of years, but as England are more settled, that seems less likely now.

greg

International Debutant
Very disappointing. I feel that the success of England’s approach over the last year has been built as much, if not more, on their aggressive approach in the field as their batting. Their batting has often set games up, but when that approach is built around “taking the draw out of the equation” you simply have to take 20 wickets or you lose. That is axiomatic. And to take 20 wickets you need the best bowling and fielding attack you can put on the park. And that means the best keeper (and it’s hardly as if Foakes hasn’t played a number of crucial innings with the bat either).
Just reposting for no particular reason…8-)