• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Lions vs Queensland

SeamUp

International Coach
http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_...shes-lift-lions-johnson-highlights-need-speed

12-a-side 3-day game starting Monday it seems.

Wonder if any of these players will press claims. What is obvious is that Ballance/COverton are their immediate options to replace Ball.

Keaton JENNINGS (c)
(25) Lancashire
Nick GUBBINS (24) Middlesex
Tom WESTLEY (28) Essex
Ben FOAKES (24) Surrey
Dan LAWRENCE (20) Essex
Liam LIVINGSTONE (24) Lancashire
Alex DAVIES (23) Lancashire
Paul COUGHLIN (24) Notts
Tom CURRAN (22) Surrey
Mark WOOD (27) Durham
Jack LEACH (26) Somerset
George GARTON (20) Sussex

Last edited:

Groundking

International Debutant
In light of recent events I really really want us to bat first and for Foakes to score a **** tonne of runs incase we have to ban Bairstow for a couple of games. It would also help prospects of Stokes Foakes Woakes 6,7,8, and if he does well it would probably allow us to plug the hole in the side that is the no.5 batting spot with Bairstow selected as a pure batsman.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Keats (for Cook), Wood for Ball and Coggers for Woakes and we have ourselves Durham County Cricket Club circa 2013-16.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Doesn't look like we'll be getting a stream of this, at least I can't find one on the CA site.

Woodster

International Captain
I suppose automatically you look at bowling options, and probably look to Mark Wood as the only realistic possibility out of any of them of playing in the ashes series so it’d be nice to see him get overs in and look good doing so.

Personally would like to see the two Essex batsmen go well also.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Isn't Wood just a case of shuffling deckchairs on the Titanic? Hasn't shown anything in Tests to suggest he's the answer to all our problems.

SeamUp

International Coach
Can't find anything on this game unfortunately.

Isn't Wood just a case of shuffling deckchairs on the Titanic? Hasn't shown anything in Tests to suggest he's the answer to all our problems.
Whilst I agree - I think he deserves another crack at it to see if he can grab the opportunity. But results do need to start coming for him and staying injury free may help with that. But the odds aren't in his favour.

Right now I think he may have to be an option in Perth but he has to prove himself in this game and bowl better than Curran/Garton.

I actually think the batting is very interesting. So many flaws in the test batting line-up.

For this team - 2 that have been in the test team and dropped (Jennings, Westley) & Livingstone who didn't look to hot in the T20s dealing with pressure. Would like to see how Gubbins, Foakes and Lawrence get along. Noticed no Duckett or Clarke - T20s in Perth for them.

Woodster

International Captain
Yes I agree with SeamUp on this with regards Wood, I know he's not exactly tore up Test cricket but at his best, and his fittest, he represents a different kind of bowler to the ones we currently have in the squad, his skiddy pace and reverse swing (if there's any about) just give us something alternative, but he does have to be fit and firing or else he becomes rather ineffective.

SeamUp

International Coach
Supposedly Queensland XI got 270/7 decl but there is no scoreboard and the Lions were 20 without loss.

Some decent pics at Allan Border Oval.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Typical Coggers. Always knackered.

Wood is incredible when he is fit but he is always knackered. I do not understand why people degenerate clearly excellent players who are either on the treatment table or returning to match fitness. The career of Flintoff should tell you everything you need to know about the danger of doing that.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
You what? On what basis is Mark Wood "clearly excellent"? Doesn't take wickets and doesn't actually look like taking wickets.