• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England considering diplomatic snub!

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
It is interesting that the Englishmen haven't come up with any responses to the facts posted by CC and Sanz. Most cities in India are developed well enough to handle international tourists.
Actually problem is somewhere else, it's basically they want all their tests @ Delhi, Kolkata, Mumbai, Chennai, Banglore. Here is what was reported when the schedules were released :-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ma...s30.xml&sSheet=/sport/2005/10/30/ixcrick.html

"Main venues where large crowds would be guaranteed and thousands of England supporters could be accommodated - like Madras, Bangalore, Delhi and Kolkata - are conspicuously absent from the schedule of three Tests and seven one-day internationals."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,426-1850664,00.html

"...How else can anyone explain the decision to hold the first and second Test matches at Ahmedabad and Nagpur, rather than any two of Calcutta, Delhi, Bangalore and Madras...",

So here we have two different people writting for two different newspapers point out the exact same thing.. Need I say more about the media games being played here by some cricket board ?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sanz, everyone, blah.

It's not your fault - it's me - under a lot of pressure at the moment what with being out of work again. I've made an *** of myself before and I'll probably make an *** of myself again before I'm finished.

I'm imposing a CW exile upon myself for a couple of weeks until I see how things pan out - I'll still bore you all to tears with 2000+ word match reports, but hey, you can't have everything.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
you are not the problem, Eddie, although you did seem to uncharacteristically lose your cool over not so big issues a little in this thread.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:
Sanz, everyone, blah.

It's not your fault - it's me - under a lot of pressure at the moment what with being out of work again. I've made an *** of myself before and I'll probably make an *** of myself again before I'm finished.

I'm imposing a CW exile upon myself for a couple of weeks until I see how things pan out - I'll still bore you all to tears with 2000+ word match reports, but hey, you can't have everything.
Heal yourself in the forest, you'll be sorely missed.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jono said:
I actually understand England's gripe, if it is specifically to do with the flight order and schedule. If it has to do with where they are playing, that's not on. Every Indian city deserves to see cricket so long as their facilities are good enough.

To be honest I think there might be 2 seperate complaints and 1 comment.

Complaint 1 - the ECB - the travelling is excessive criss-crossing the country and having warm up games so far out.
Comment 1 - the ECB - a lot of English fans will want to go out, so maybe they need to ensure there's capacity for them.
Complaint 2 - the media - these aren't the biggest places and we've not heard of them, therefore the facilities must be rubbish and we'd not like staying in them.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I can understand the bit about warm up games, but I think the venues are good enough to handle the English visitors (however many there may be) and the media's complaint is, as usual, idiotic at best.

C_C

International Captain
marc71178 said:

Complaint 1 - the ECB - the travelling is excessive criss-crossing the country and having warm up games so far out.
Comment 1 - the ECB - a lot of English fans will want to go out, so maybe they need to ensure there's capacity for them.
Complaint 2 - the media - these aren't the biggest places and we've not heard of them, therefore the facilities must be rubbish and we'd not like staying in them.
Answer #1 : As has been demonstrated, England isnt travelling anymore than other teams are( who by the way, didnt whine). India is not a small island like britain so every venue will not be a 3 hr bus ride from your main hotel.
The primary reason for cricket's existance is to entertain the public- travelling is part of the deal. Why is it that England has to whine about something that almost nobody has a problem with ? Something cultural about whining ?

Answer #2 : In a free democratic country, accomodation is the responsibility of the visiting fans- if they cant find lodging, tough for them.

Answer #3 : Again, your ignorance does not necessarily mean lack of quality and no one is forcing anyone to stay in a place they dont like. If India is unpalatable, dont visit!
The primary concern for the home team is to distribute viewership amongst the home fanbase. If visiting fans need to walk an extra mile to get to the stadium maybe they should buy some sneakers on their way.

Craig

World Traveller
Pratyush said:
That is seriously unbelievable stuff.

On a different note, Australia is also a big country. How do itineries work there and how much travel do teams do compared to India? (just to get an idea)

A graphical represenation could be good as well if some one can do it.
I would hazard a guess and say that they are all a few hours by plane depending where you are flying from except that (unless you are in Adelaide) that Perth would be the longest time you will spend in the air and to Hobart - also depending on where you are flying from.

Also the matches are played in the major state (and terrority) capitals (ie Brisbane, Melbourne etc.) but at a much smaller venue usually. Not like for example Queensland v west Indies in Longreach or Toowoomba (both regional cities in Queensland although Toowoomba is only a couple of hours away by car).

Craig

World Traveller
viktor said:
Do you really know how the rotation policy in India works? If you are going to use material you have read somewhere atleast post a link to it. This, I believe is the source for your claim: http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/indveng/content/story/226666.html

Did you post this just to show that there was some wrongdoing in the venue allotment?
Suppose, for the purpose of arguement, that there was.
Could you now explain why you object to Ahmedabad as a venue, as opposed to Chennai? Ahmedabad is a pretty big city; it is the capital of one of the most cash-rich states in India. I can't imagine why it should have a problem accommodating the "hordes" of English visitors that will supposedly descend on India for the series.
Just realized one problem with Ahmedabad: no booze :)
Think he was aksing an honest question because he wasn't quite sure on something.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
C_C said:
Answer #3 : Again, your ignorance does not necessarily mean lack of quality and no one is forcing anyone to stay in a place they dont like. If India is unpalatable, dont visit!
So I have a go at our media for their comments yet I'm then called ignorant? 8-)

C_C

International Captain
marc71178 said:
So I have a go at our media for their comments yet I'm then called ignorant? 8-)
The 'your' in this particular statement is a collective representation - for people who fit the bill, not a direct statement addressed towards you in a singular representation.

biased indian

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
England's itinerary, for those of us less familiar with Indian geography.. (took some research, this)

you dont have Dharmasala in it.

its in Himachal Pradesh if i am right

biased indian

International Coach
marc71178 said:

Comment 1 -> The Ground in my city is the second biggest in india with 80,000+ capacity
but can assure you that the one who are visiting will like to get out as soon as possible in Feb -May
Due the high humidity and hot weather in kochi during this period

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
England aren't playing in Dharmasala.

It's Jamshedpur, Agartala | Ahmedabad, Nagpur, Mumbai | Goa, Indore, Guwahati, Faridabad, Cuttack, Kochi, Visakapatnam

biased indian

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
England aren't playing in Dharmasala.

It's Jamshedpur, Agartala | Ahmedabad, Nagpur, Mumbai | Goa, Indore, Guwahati, Faridabad, Cuttack, Kochi, Visakapatnam
i dont know why cricinfo has this in there report

Accessibility is also the problem with Dharamsala, otherwise a tourist hotspot, six and eleven hours by road from Chandigarh and Delhi or two hours from the Pathankot railway station,

biased indian

International Coach
biased indian said:
i dont know why cricinfo has this in there report

Accessibility is also the problem with Dharamsala, otherwise a tourist hotspot, six and eleven hours by road from Chandigarh and Delhi or two hours from the Pathankot railway station,
and this also

Look at this picture and ask whether you'd really want to pass up a chance to watch or play cricket here. Himalayan Dharamsala, Bohemian Goa, Agartala and Guwahati in the forgotten Northeast, Kochi and Visakapatnam in the tropical South, more than a week in Bombay, half a week in Delhi, a whiff of Calcutta, provincial towns here there and everywhere... They may hate some of these places, love some, stay indifferent to some, but each will add to their understanding of the country in a broader and deeper way than a hop about the metros alone. Even if not configured specifically for the twenty-first century pro-sport outfit or the Barmy Army and package tour-operators, there is much for the curious traveller. You would have thought that some voice somewhere would indicate a wee bit of excitement at the prospect. Ultimately a sense of discovery, not luxury accommodation, makes a tour what it is.

biased indian

International Coach
No they are playing there Neil

A one-day practice match before the seven limited-overs games will be played in the northern hill resort of Dharamshala
, better known as the home of Dalai Lama, the exiled Tibetan spiritual leader."We have a policy to promote remote centres like Agartala and Dharamshala, hence the matches there," said Dasgupta. ECB's Carr declined to comment on the schedule.