• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England (and Wales) gloom, doom and recriminations thread

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Thank **** for that.

Deeply unimpressive individual. The very embodiment of the CEO as a platitude spouting, open neck shirt sporting, "Hey call me Tom" bonhomie to your face whilst stabbing you in the back and climbing over your still twitching corpse ****sucker.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Matthew Mott tipped as the new white ball coach. Current coach of AUS ladies. I'm glad Collingwood isn't getting the role. England need a clean sweep of house.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Red ball reset = same faces.

Lees, Crawley, Pope, Root, Bairstow, Stokes, Foakes, Coverton, Broad, Leach, Anderson with Brook and Potts likely missing out.

Crawley fortunate once more.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The selection of Crawley is just disgusting. He's never done anything deserve it and now averages just 30.39, and is averaging 19.5 in a season where everyone except Leicestershire is making hay.

No Parkinson was predictable as well - not sure there'll be a better home season to debut him in.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Joke that Crawley stays in though you can argue that every one else has been tried and failed anyway.

Glad Brook is in, he better play now. Looks like Pope or Bairstow at 3. Bit of a gamble.

Starfighter

Joke that Crawley stays in though you can argue that every one else has been tried and failed anyway.
I'd think there's quite a few top three batsmen in County cricket averaging over 30.39 who haven't been tried.

To be honest I think the best thing for the English test team might be to have a selection panel with no Englishmen on it.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Has anyone seen Potts bowl? Seems to have a bit of hype around him this year and has taken a stack of wickets (albeit in Div 2).

Starfighter

Has anyone seen Potts bowl? Seems to have a bit of hype around him this year and has taken a stack of wickets (albeit in Div 2).
He looks okay from the footage available. Significantly quicker than Overton. Ian Pont likes him which is a bad sign (or maybe I just dislike Pont).

Surprised you haven't searched for him on YouTube. OTOH if you're looking for impressions viewed live at the ground, can't help you.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
He looks okay from the footage available. Significantly quicker than Overton. Ian Pont likes him which is a bad sign (or maybe I just dislike Pont).

Surprised you haven't searched for him on YouTube. OTOH if you're looking for impressions viewed live at the ground, can't help you.
Me being lazy shouldn't come as a surprise tbh. (Also currently at the office so no Youtube.)

Gremlin

U19 Vice-Captain
Feels like there's missed opportunities doesn't it?

Crawley should have been moved to three as a bare minimum, given that they seem determined to invest in his future, there's Sibley, Robson or Compton who could have opened. Pope at 3 feels wrong somehow but good luck to him. Also surprised at Bairstow being considered (I thought the word was he was going to be rested after the IPL) and whilst I get the logic that Leach deserves a run given that he's been buggered about over the years Parkinson is just getting better and better.

On the plus side, exciting for Brook and Potts, they seem to be good form picks.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Parkinson will bowl on dead wickets in Pakistan, average about 80 and never get picked again. feels like a total missed opportunity.

having a 'point of difference' in the bowling attack outside of 80mph rfm is not just about high pace guys like archer, wood and stone. ffs he is a wrist spinner with 100+ fc wickets at 23. he might not be it but when was the last time england had a leggie doing that in CC? certainly not in my lifetime.

also, overton? lol. ok.