• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England 'A' in the UAE etc

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
wpdavid said:
... including ducks for Solanki, Bell & Shah, and, IIRC, a mighty 1 from Clarke. Good fightback by Prior & Swann, but they were always struggling without anything of note from the supposed batsmen.
That said, to have lost from that position is a little disappointing.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
That said, to have lost from that position is a little disappointing.
Prior didn't get much support from Franks or Dawson, did he. Swann's innings looks interesting at virtually a run a ball. Maybe he chanced his arm once too often when they were within sight. But the top order have to shoulder the blame, I would have thought. It's not as if most of them lack experience, but they just didn't show up today. Ho hum.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
wpdavid said:
Prior didn't get much support from Franks or Dawson, did he. Swann's innings looks interesting at virtually a run a ball. Maybe he chanced his arm once too often when they were within sight. But the top order have to shoulder the blame, I would have thought. It's not as if most of them lack experience, but they just didn't show up today. Ho hum.
Reminds me of most SL A batting performances they don't turn up. In the 2 years or so only Ian Daniel is the only batsmen that has scored a century aganist another A side in FC Matches, pretty pathetic isn't it. You guys don't have much to complain about in comparsion, at least u have guys have someone who can score centuries batting at 7.

But the plus side for our A side is that they have a pretty good 1D record.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
wpdavid said:
Swann, more to the point, got out to Thilina bloody Kandamby, who's no more a bowler than Vikram Solanki is. Smacks of Flintoff and Sarwan. Good to see Prior get runs - more pressure on Jones to sort his act out is always good!

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Swann, more to the point, got out to Thilina bloody Kandamby, who's no more a bowler than Vikram Solanki is. Smacks of Flintoff and Sarwan. Good to see Prior get runs - more pressure on Jones to sort his act out is always good!
i do not know about you and you people might think i am abit over optimistic or biased but, IS IT JUST ME OR ARE PRIOR AND COOK FUTURE SUPERSTARS. yes it is abit early but these two plus Pietersen and Bell are really getting me excited. i imagine the test line up in 5-odd years. Strauss, Cook, Bell, Vaughan, Pietersen, Flintoff, Prior etc

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
how many other people have performed just as poorly? ie not a significant performance in any of his innings, id think very few.
How many innings has he played?
3 in the FC games, isn't it?
I'm sure someone else must have done that poorly.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
Swann, more to the point, got out to Thilina bloody Kandamby, who's no more a bowler than Vikram Solanki is.
And no more a batsman than Dominic Cork is, by the looks of things.

Swervy

International Captain
SpeedKing said:
i do not know about you and you people might think i am abit over optimistic or biased but, IS IT JUST ME OR ARE PRIOR AND COOK FUTURE SUPERSTARS. yes it is abit early but these two plus Pietersen and Bell are really getting me excited. i imagine the test line up in 5-odd years. Strauss, Cook, Bell, Vaughan, Pietersen, Flintoff, Prior etc
I havent seen Cook play, but I think he has been earmarked for an England spot since he was about 13 or something..I have heard he is a real talent (..ahem..despite only 1 100 in 30 odd first class games...but lets not get into that)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, of course, couldn't go using stats, could we?
Believe it or not the fact that his First-Class career to date has been poor does mean something - it means that it's possible that while he's a club-standard player he's not a county-standard one.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's the only remotely plausible explanation I can think of... but then, why did he play? Because he certainly ain't a batsman-who-bowls-a-bit.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
And no more a batsman than Dominic Cork is, by the looks of things.
Well we will see in a couple years, ATM he is a little bit too agressive for the FC A side, but once he gets going he is pretty hard to stop, their has been a couple of knocks in the Inter-Prov that stand out. His 135 aganist NC and and 144 aganist South.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
No, of course, couldn't go using stats, could we?
Believe it or not the fact that his First-Class career to date has been poor does mean something - it means that it's possible that while he's a club-standard player he's not a county-standard one.
If that were so, how come the selectors have taken him on ths tour then?

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
How many innings has he played?
3 in the FC games, isn't it?
I'm sure someone else must have done that poorly.
and the name of this player is 'anonymous' i presume?
out of the players who've played all 4 fc innings, leaving out the obvious names of people who've done well - bell, mahmood, shah, prior and swann.
cook scored 63 in the first inning 1st game.
mj powell scored a 50 in the 2nd inning 1st game.
and there isnt a single name left who played both games.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
If that were so, how come the selectors have taken him on ths tour then?
Because sometimes selectors think they know better than the game itself.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
and the name of this player is 'anonymous' i presume?
out of the players who've played all 4 fc innings, leaving out the obvious names of people who've done well - bell, mahmood, shah, prior and swann.
cook scored 63 in the first inning 1st game.
mj powell scored a 50 in the 2nd inning 1st game.
and there isnt a single name left who played both games.
OK, Clarke's been poor this tour.
It doesn't make the rest of his First-Class career irrelevant, but yes, he's gone down in my estimation so far.
Still got time to redeem himself, of course.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And they've thought someone can play without getting the runs?
Now, let's see, how many people have been good batsmen without scoring runs...?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
They watch the player, and look at how he plays, not how many runs he scored.

Just look at 2 of England's top order who both average over 40 but when they were picked their domestic records were extremely poor...