• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Early era batsmen

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Why would SRT be that much higher? With Dravid having a similar average in Test cricket.

Grace was past his best by the time Test cricket started. Murdoch was a great player the best Aussie batsman until the golden age started. There is a book called the Top 100 and first XI circa 1987 where the authors choose an all time great Aust team by comparing the % of players made against their contemporaries.

I thought the process unfair against Bradman's peers, still was an interesting read:)
Is the article only comparing batsmen, or the whole team? If you had some completely crap tailenders in your team that would drag the average down, boosting stats for the batsman in question. Also, the article first says Border should be highly rated because of how much better he did than his comparitively crap teammates. Then contradicts itself by saying Chappell is also amazing because of how good his contemporaries were. :huh:

the big bambino

International Captain
Man up, learn to come up with witty comebacks instead of weeping like a girl.

You're supposed to be hooking my short ball instead of taking the blow on your head.:cool:
What would you know about a short ball? You're from India aren't you?

Out of curiosity can you point out the matches and series that makes you think McCabe is better than Bradman?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Irony deficiency is a problem here isn't it?
The stat only shows you what a batsman averages when he gets out to a certain bowler.

So if I bowl to you in ten innings and you absolutely flog me around the park for nine of them, making tons before getting out to other bowlers in the team, and then get out for a duck to me in the tenth innings, cricinfo will record your average against me to be 0.

the big bambino

International Captain
Ok let me make this clear bcos the mounting flood of stupidity can't be subtlely diverted.

I am not taking figures from cricinfo. I'm aware of its deficiencies. I am taking them from Davis and they are actual stats versus the bowler and are therefore genuine. A case deconstructing SRT can be made with them.

Not that I would. He's a top player. But its fun to give a troll a bit of his own back. OK? Or do I have to go nudge nudge wink wink?

archie mac

International Coach
Hey Archie; you mentioned Laurie Nash earlier. Do you have any idea how his career went after his last test in '37? I've heard he played well in Melbourne grade cricket and deserved selection for the state team on form but never got picked. Can you confirm that and relay his grade stats in say 1938 and 1939?
Nash finished playing Grade cricket in 1937/38.
Thanks to Vic, who may well be right but I think he may have played the 1939-40 season. He started with Fitzroy in 1927-28 and played his last two seasons with Camberwell and retired when he was 29 mainly because of the WW2.

His last two seasons for Camberwell produced 154 wickets @10.25 This compares well to his overall Grade average of 532 @15.11.

Nash was a great bowler but was never selected in the SS. In the season of 1937-38 Nash was easily the best performing bowler in grade cricket.

It was felt because he bowled some bouncers at the MCC in 1936-37 his card was stamped and although the best allrounder in the country he did not make the 1938 tour. I think he was a victim of the hysteria about Bodyline which made fast bowling a dirty thing in the late 1930s.

archie mac

International Coach
Is the article only comparing batsmen, or the whole team? If you had some completely crap tailenders in your team that would drag the average down, boosting stats for the batsman in question. Also, the article first says Border should be highly rated because of how much better he did than his comparitively crap teammates. Then contradicts itself by saying Chappell is also amazing because of how good his contemporaries were. :huh:
Yeah there are some problems with the article, although still interesting:)

the big bambino

International Captain
Thanks for that AM. We must have been pretty strong or stupid to do without him. I've also heard that he was abrasive and combative and may have been overlooked as much for reasons of class snobbery as a willingness to bounce batsmen.

archie mac

International Coach
Thanks for that AM. We must have been pretty strong or stupid to do without him. I've also heard that he was abrasive and combative and may have been overlooked as much for reasons of class snobbery as a willingness to bounce batsmen.
My pleasure:)

I agree he was a bit rough and ready and a boaster before that was considered confidence.

When asked who was the best Australian Rules Footballer of all time he said words to the affect:

I just happen to see the greatest player every morning when I shave:D

the big bambino

International Captain
He also reckoned he would have sorted this bodyline business if they just gave him 3 overs at Hammond. He also misunderstood his man when he pinged Woodfull and expecting him to be impressed enough to recommend he tour England in 1934.

He probably would have had a good test career if Richardson was the captain in the early 30s instead of Woodfull.

archie mac

International Coach
He also reckoned he would have sorted this bodyline business if they just gave him 3 overs at Hammond. He also misunderstood his man when he pinged Woodfull and expecting him to be impressed enough to recommend he tour England in 1934.

He probably would have had a good test career if Richardson was the captain in the early 30s instead of Woodfull.
True, Richardson said he would have ended BL by giving the Poms a taste of their own. In the end however it seems to depend on who has the fire power, there was little to be gained in bowling bouncers at the Windies teams of the 80s.

MartinB

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hey Archie; you mentioned Laurie Nash earlier. Do you have any idea how his career went after his last test in '37? I've heard he played well in Melbourne grade cricket and deserved selection for the state team on form but never got picked. Can you confirm that and relay his grade stats in say 1938 and 1939?
From what I know Nash, he was never picked for a shield game by Victoria, he did play the odd match for Tasmania / Exhibition game.

If you have not read it, the bodyline and test come back sections of the Wikipeadia article Laurie Nash - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia are worth a look.

Interesting points for match against England:
  • England captain Gubby Allen pressed for Nash's banishment from the Australian team
  • There was a threat of an English walk off I Nash bowled a boncer / bowled a ball at the body

Also Keith Millers description: Nash's non-selection as a regular Test player was "the greatest waste of talent in Australian cricket history"

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Thanks to Vic, who may well be right but I think he may have played the 1939-40 season. He started with Fitzroy in 1927-28 and played his last two seasons with Camberwell and retired when he was 29 mainly because of the WW2.

His last two seasons for Camberwell produced 154 wickets @10.25 This compares well to his overall Grade average of 532 @15.11.

Nash was a great bowler but was never selected in the SS. In the season of 1937-38 Nash was easily the best performing bowler in grade cricket.

It was felt because he bowled some bouncers at the MCC in 1936-37 his card was stamped and although the best allrounder in the country he did not make the 1938 tour. I think he was a victim of the hysteria about Bodyline which made fast bowling a dirty thing in the late 1930s.
Camberwell was in sub-district then.

the big bambino

International Captain
That kind of makes sense. They were a VFA team as well and offered terms to Nash to be their footy captain coach too. So he got paid for playing cricket and footy with them as well as getting a job with council. Gravy.