• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dream team

Wirah

Cricket Spectator
If you had to select a team of cricketers (test) that still play today (based on there current form), what would your choice be?

Mine would be:

Graeme Smith
Virender Sehwag
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara (C)
Inzamam-ul-Haq
Jacques Kallis
Adam Gilchrist (WK)
Shane Warne
Muttiah Muralitharan
Chaminda Vaas
Glenn McGrath

Majin

International Debutant
Ashley Giles
Ashley Giles(C)
Ashley Giles
Ashley Giles
Ashley Giles(W)
Ashley Giles
Ashley Giles
Ashley Giles
Ashley Giles
Ashley Giles
Ramnaresh Sarwan

Swervy

International Captain
Wirah said:
If you had to select a team of cricketers (test) that still play today (based on there current form), what would your choice be?

Mine would be:

Graeme Smith
Virender Sehwag
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara (C)
Inzamam-ul-Haq
Jacques Kallis
Adam Gilchrist (WK)
Shane Warne
Muttiah Muralitharan
Chaminda Vaas
Glenn McGrath
interesting choice

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
V Sehwag
J Langer
R Ponting
B Lara
R Dravid
I Ul Haq
A Gilchrist
A Flintoff
S Warne
S Bond
G McGrath

edit: Dravid in for Jayawardene

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wirah said:

Mine would be:

Graeme Smith
Virender Sehwag
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara (C)
Inzamam-ul-Haq
Jacques Kallis
Adam Gilchrist (WK)
Shane Warne
Muttiah Muralitharan
Chaminda Vaas
Glenn McGrath
Interesting that you have no england players in that team. I would say that Strauss and Trescothick are just as good as Graham smith and flintoff has too get into any world team especialy if it is based on current form

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Justin Langer
Virender Sehwag
Ricky Ponting
Rahul Dravid
Brian Lara
Andrew Flintoff
Adam Gilchrist (k)
Shane Warne
Shoaib Akhtar
Muttiah Muralitharan
Glenn McGrath

Flintoff allows two spinners without reducing seam options. Only questionable ones really are Akhtar over Harmison, Pollock etc and Kallis missing out, but I think both can be justified.

King_Ponting

International Regular
FaaipDeOiad said:
Justin Langer
Virender Sehwag
Ricky Ponting
Rahul Dravid
Brian Lara
Andrew Flintoff
Adam Gilchrist (k)
Shane Warne
Shoaib Akhtar
Muttiah Muralitharan
Glenn McGrath

Flintoff allows two spinners without reducing seam options. Only questionable ones really are Akhtar over Harmison, Pollock etc and Kallis missing out, but I think both can be justified.
I'd swap bond for aktar.... then that'd be my dream team... and bat mcgrath 9.... :cool:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
King_Ponting said:
I'd swap bond for aktar.... then that'd be my dream team... and bat mcgrath 9.... :cool:
Bond has to do it post-injury against someone other than Zimbabwe first. If he's bowling like he was back around 2002-2003 though, I'd also be inclined to pick him.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
FaaipDeOiad said:
Justin Langer
Virender Sehwag
Ricky Ponting
Rahul Dravid
Brian Lara
Andrew Flintoff
Adam Gilchrist (k)
Shane Warne
Shoaib Akhtar
Muttiah Muralitharan
Glenn McGrath

u and me have got the same side, except for me picking Harmison over Akhtar

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
sehwag
strauss
lara
kallis
dravid
gilchrist
flintoff
warne
bond
murali
mcgrath

PY

International Coach
Anil said:
sehwag
strauss
lara
kallis
dravid
gilchrist
flintoff
warne
bond
murali
mcgrath
Before you posted that, I was wondering how people could include Langer over Strauss on form? :wacko:

PY

International Coach
Though I must confess that I'd take Langer over Strauss if it wasn't based on current form because he's more sound.

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
My team (ODI's)
Sachin Tendulkar
Adam Gilchrist (k)
Ricky Ponting
Jacques Kallis
Brian Lara
Inzamam-ul-Haq
Andrew Flintoff
Shaun Pollock
Shoaib Akhtar
Muttiah Muralitharan
Glenn McGrath

Last edited:

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
My Team (tests)
1.Justin Langer
2.Adam Gilchrist (k)
3.Brian Lara
4.Ricky Ponting
5.Rahul Dravid
6.Jacques Kallis
7.Andrew Flintoff
8.Shane Warne
9.Shoaib Akthar
10.Muttiah Muralitharan
11.Glenn Mcgrath

I guess Gilly's opening slot is contreversial but with the aggression of flintoff lower down he could bat opening.

Shoaib

Banned
My Team (Tests)

Andrew Strauss
Justin Langer
Ricky Ponting (C)
Inzamam-Ul-Haq
Brian Lara
Andrew Flintoff
Adam Gilchrist (WK)
Shane Warne
Shoaib Akhtar
Muttiah Muralitharan
Glenn Mcgrath

Shoaib

Banned
My Team (ODIs)
Virender Sehwag
Adam Gilchrist (WK) (C)
Jacques Kallis
Inzamam-Ul-Haq
Rahul Dravid
Shoaib Malik
Shahid Afridi
Shaun Pollock
Shoaib Akhtar
Muttiah Muralitharan
Glenn Mcgrath

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
This is a very difficult excercise particularly for those like the members of this forum who are so new to it. So I can understand why there are so many unworthy choices :sleep:

I decided to develop a scientific, objective and unbiased criteria and then chose from the current crop of players based on how they fitted the criteria.

There were three basic criteria of which one was absolutely critical. This is the team I came up with in batting order.

1. Gambhir
2. Akaash Chopra
3. Sehwag
4. Younis Khan
5. Inzemaam (doubtful qualification)
6. Shoaib Malik
7. Harbhajan Singh
8. Shoaib Akhtar
9. Sarandeep Singh
10. Ashish Nehra

12th Man : RS Sodhi

As can be seen this wonderful team has no wicket keeper. Also with Inzemaam being a doubtful qualifier I could not put him as captain. I wanted also for captain someone with the most impeccable credentials as captain but try as hard as I may, I failed to find the missing man from the current crop of international cricketers.

Just as I was about to give up, I realised there was someone right under my nose, litrally, who qualified perfectly but hadnt played international cricket through no fault of his own I assure you. So Idecided to have a debutant captain who would also keep wickets. His name ? >>>> SJS :sleep:

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
SJS said:
This is a very difficult excercise particularly for those like the members of this forum who are so new to it. So I can understand why there are so many unworthy choices :sleep:

I decided to develop a scientific, objective and unbiased criteria and then chose from the current crop of players based on how they fitted the criteria.

There were three basic criteria of which one was absolutely critical. This is the team I came up with in batting order.

1. Gambhir
2. Akaash Chopra
3. Sehwag
4. Younis Khan
5. Inzemaam (doubtful qualification)
6. Shoaib Malik
7. Harbhajan Singh
8. Shoaib Akhtar
9. Sarandeep Singh
10. Ashish Nehra

12th Man : RS Sodhi

As can be seen this wonderful team has no wicket keeper. Also with Inzemaam being a doubtful qualifier I could not put him as captain. I wanted also for captain someone with the most impeccable credentials as captain but try as hard as I may, I failed to find the missing man from the current crop of international cricketers.

Just as I was about to give up, I realised there was someone right under my nose, litrally, who qualified perfectly but hadnt played international cricket through no fault of his own I assure you. So Idecided to have a debutant captain who would also keep wickets. His name ? >>>> SJS :sleep:

Try as I might, I can find no holes in your logic. Time for this thread to end here, I feel.