• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Drawn Test Matches - The Great Ones

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't think it's been mentioned so far but the Perth Test of the Oz v NZ 2001/02 Test series was a ripper. NZ dominated the Test but Australia made a great effort at the 4th innings chase so that all three results were possible (and hence the series result) going into the final hour of the match.
I remember Steve Waugh copping a bit of **** for batting slow in the 4th innings. Gilchrist came in at 7 and made a quick 80-odd not out IIRC and people were saying "why didn't you send him in earlier?"

OverratedSanity

^^ That sounds like a hell of a match.

From India's perspective, we got an important rain-assisted draw in the first Test of our tour of England in 2007, after which we went on to dominate the rest of the series, winning 1-0. Think Panesar was denied an LBW shout when we were 9 down and just before the rain came. That's the only occasion I can think of where India actually benefited from the rain, whereas we've generally been unlucky with it in recent years.
That decision should be shows to indian fans who think Bucknor only gave terrible decisions against India. He was equal opportunity.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Wi vs SL 1997/8 series. I think the second match ended in a draw. All three results were possible up to the last ball.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Couple of games which come to mind:

Australia vs England 3rd Test 1994/95 at Sydney: England went into that test 2-0 down and very much second best, some inspirational performances from Atherton, Crawley, a super entertaining 29 from Malcolm and then Darren Gough's first hurrah with the ball got them a big lead (200 or so I think). Then came the infamous declaration when Hick was on 98 (England's heads dropped in the field after that according to Tufnell), Australia made a serious bid chasing 440 odd before losing a clutch of wickets and then Warne and Tim May batted them to safety at 7 down.

India vs Australia 2nd Test 2004/05 at Chennai: This didn't have a classic finish as rain washed out what would likely have been a decisive 5th day, but I thought the quality of cricket was spectacular. Kumble's 7 wicket haul to restrict Australia to 235, followed by a Sehwag masterclass of 155 while Warne got his best figures in india (I think), an all time. Then, 141 behind Australia totalled 369 thanks to Damien Martyn whose 104 was one of the best "overseas batsman on a turning track in the subcontinent" innings you're likely to see with Gillespie for support in an infuriatingly good nightwatchman's knock. India needed 210 on the final day, would've been a cracker but the test was memorable enough up to that point.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
England vs Zimbabwe 1996. One of the most exciting draws.
At that time I wondered why they didn't call this match - the third tied Test in cricket history.
The match was drawn and the scores were exactly equal at the end of the match.

England was chasing 205 to win in the fourth innings, and ended up scoring 204 for 6

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...and-1st-test-england-tour-of-zimbabwe-1996-97
I think that was the one when David Lloyd who was coach proclaimed in the interviews after "We flippin' murdered 'em".

vcs

Is it only a tie if the fourth innings chasing team gets bowled out?

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Is it only a tie if the fourth innings chasing team gets bowled out?
Yes. That India vs West Indies test in 2011 which finished on scores level with India nine down, was the closest we got to a tie since 1986 in my memory.

EDIT: Among drawn tests, of course there was Windies winning by 1 run in Adelaide in 1992/93.

Last edited:

Jezroy

State Captain
I remember Steve Waugh copping a bit of **** for batting slow in the 4th innings. Gilchrist came in at 7 and made a quick 80-odd not out IIRC and people were saying "why didn't you send him in earlier?"
I?m sure Steve Waugh should have been out to Vettori (can?t remember if it was caught behind or LBW) but it wasn?t given. If it had been NZ would have been well in the box seat.