• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Draft: Best of 1980s and 1990s

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
MacGill had great figures right from the start (24 wickets at 19.12 in the West Indies, 1999). Gotta play him.....

01. Matthew Hayden
02. Aamer Sohail
03. Ijaz Ahmed
04. Mark Waugh
05. Stephen Fleming*
06. VVS Laxman
07. Jeff Dujon+
08. Dennis Lillee
09. Stuart MacGill
10. Allan Donald
11. Patrick Patterson

12. 'Venkat'
Mindblowing attack, Watson! (quite literally, I think. Imagine these guys in a Bodyline series. Phew!)

Play VVS at #3 and you are gold.

watson

Banned
Mindblowing attack, Watson! (quite literally, I think. Imagine these guys in a Bodyline series. Phew!)

Play VVS at #3 and you are gold.
Yes, captain Fleming is happy to start a 'bumper war' with any of the other 12 teams on show! And that includes Andy's or Fred's sides.

I did originally intend to play VVS at No.3 but he didn't bat there much in the 90s. Ijaz on- the-other-hand spent 5 years at No.3 and averaged 44.71 against some strong attacks.

Admittedly Ijaz was inconsistent but 6 centuries against Australia (3 in Pakistan, 3 in Australia) mainly at first drop, with an overall average of 47.17 is a proven track-record.

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqz_NDJH3Ww - Perth 1999: Liked the 2 cut shots at 30 and then 40 seconds. Jesus)

He was also successful against the West Windies, but failed against South Africa for some reason.

But yes, VVS would be a good option at No.3 and I'll think about it again. Both batsman are the counter-attacking type that I prefer at the top of the order, so that's also a plus.

01. Matthew Hayden
02. Aamer Sohail
03. VVS Laxman
04. Mark Waugh
05. Stephen Fleming*
06. Ijaz Ahmed
07. Jeff Dujon+
08. Dennis Lillee
09. Stuart MacGill
10. Allan Donald
11. Patrick Patterson

12th 'Venkat'

Last edited:

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Edit: Thought the cutoff was 2002. Since amended to include Mohammad Yousuf (nee Youhana).

Consequently:

1. G Kirsten
2. GA Gooch*
3. BC Lara
4. SR Tendulkar
5. Yousuf Youhana
6. RJ Shastri
7. Azhar Mahmood
8. IA Healy+
9. WPUJC Vaas
10. DW Fleming
11. CJ McDermott

12. AJ Lamb

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes, captain Fleming is happy to start a 'bumper war' with any of the other 12 teams on show! And that includes Andy's or Fred's sides.

I did originally intend to play VVS at No.3 but he didn't bat there much in the 90s. Ijaz on- the-other-hand spent 5 years at No.3 and averaged 44.71 against some strong attacks.

Admittedly Ijaz was inconsistent but 6 centuries against Australia (3 in Pakistan, 3 in Australia) mainly at first drop, with an overall average of 47.17 is a proven track-record.

(Ijaz Ahmed 115 vs Australia 3rd test WACA 1999 - YouTube - Perth 1999: Liked the 2 cut shots at 30 and then 40 seconds. Jesus)

He was also successful against the West Windies, but failed against South Africa for some reason.

But yes, VVS would be a good option at No.3 and I'll think about it again. Both batsman are the counter-attacking type that I prefer at the top of the order, so that's also a plus.

01. Matthew Hayden
02. Aamer Sohail
03. VVS Laxman
04. Mark Waugh
05. Stephen Fleming*
06. Ijaz Ahmed
07. Jeff Dujon+
08. Dennis Lillee
09. Stuart MacGill
10. Allan Donald
11. Patrick Patterson

12th 'Venkat'
I would've thought Fleming as a 3 > Laxman and Ijaz.

watson

Banned
I would've thought Fleming as a 3 > Laxman and Ijaz.
Oh yeah, Fleming averaged 47 at No.3 now that I think of it. Must be the alzheimers again.

However, I've always seen Fleming as an excellent player of spin bowling rather than pace bowling. So I think that his more natural position in the order is No.5. Could be persuaded though.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I would have left the order how you originally had it Watson.

3 Ijaz 4 God 5 Fleming 6 Laxman.

watson

Banned
Edit: Thought the cutoff was 2002. Since amended to include Mohammad Yousuf (nee Youhana).

Consequently:

1. G Kirsten
2. GA Gooch*
3. BC Lara
4. SR Tendulkar
5. Mohammad Yousuf
6. RJ Shastri
7. Azhar Mahmood
8. IA Healy+
9. WPUJC Vaas
10. DW Fleming
11. CJ McDermott

12. AJ Lamb
As if your batting needed another ATG LongHop. Now you're being greedy :p

Just to be overly nerdy for a minute - Mohammad didn't covert to Islam till the early 2000s, so he should really be Yousuf Youhana in your line-up .

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Will take Freddie Flintoff in over Wasim. Flower won't be burdened with the gloves, still averaged 50+ with them. Strengthens the batting and doesn't hurt the bowling at all.

1. David Boon
2. Marvan Atapattu
3. Jacques Kallis
4. Mohammad Azharuddin
5. Andy Flower*
6. Saleem Malik
7. Andrew Flintoff
8. Malcolm Marshall
9. Jason Gillespie
10. Wasim Bari+
11. Saqlain Mushtaq

12. Andy Caddick

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Balance and batting depth is good??

Marshall/Gillespie/Flintoff/Kallis + Saqlain = seems OK to me.

If Kallis wasn't in the side to bowl at 130kph then things might be different. But he is.

01. David Boon
02. Marvan Atapattu
03. Jacques Kallis
04. Mohammad Azharuddin
05. Andy Flower*
06. Saleem Malik
07. Andrew Flintoff
08. Malcolm Marshall
09. Wasim Bari+
10. Jason Gillespie
11. Saqlain Mushtaq

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
As if your batting needed another ATG LongHop. Now you're being greedy :p

Just to be overly nerdy for a minute - Mohammad didn't covert to Islam till the early 2000s, so he should really be Yousuf Youhana in your line-up .
Haha, I see a lot of drafts where people prioritise a terrifying bowling attack, so I quietly stack the batting while they're fighting over Windies offcuts.

Will edit for name integrity as well.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Balance and batting depth is good??

Marshall/Gillespie/Flintoff/Kallis + Saqlain = seems OK to me.

If Kallis wasn't in the side to bowl at 130kph then things might be different. But he is.

01. David Boon
02. Marvan Atapattu
03. Jacques Kallis
04. Mohammad Azharuddin
05. Andy Flower*
06. Saleem Malik
07. Andrew Flintoff
08. Malcolm Marshall
09. Wasim Bari+
10. Jason Gillespie
11. Saqlain Mushtaq
You're right, edited.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Worth noting that Team LongHop has 129 Test centuries between them from 1 to 9.

Might even play a game at Hobart just to make things fair.

watson

Banned
Round 12
There were 13 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

1.Fredfertang - Sylvester Clarke
2.AndyZaltzHair - Geoff Boycott
3.Bagapath - Adam Gilchrist
4.Kingkallis - Lawrence Rowe
5.Justo - Vinod Kambli
6.Morgeib - Asif Iqbal
7.Harsh - Derek Underwood
8.Watson - Stuart MacGill
9.LongHopCassidy - Yousuf Youhana
10.Coronis - Freddie Flintoff
11.Monk
12.Himannv
13.Pothas

Timestamp: 2013-05-22 21:06:53 UTC

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I was hoping to get MacGill (or Underwood). But I'll take Harbhajan. I need a better spinner, and he's certainly an upgrade on Symcox as a bowler, although Symcox would be much better value in the rooms.

Monk's XI

- Gordon Greenidge
- Mark Taylor *
- Richie Richardson
- Graham Thorpe
- Sourav Ganguly (5)
- Gus Logie
- Kapil Dev (2)
- Syed Kirmani+
- Wasim Akram (1)
- Harbhajan Singh (4)
- Rodney Hogg (3)

12- Pat Symcox

Quite happy there really. The team bats very deep, and 10/11 have test hundreds. Two gun all rounders in Wasim and Kapil who make the batting very potent and will open the bowling with a tricky L/R combo. Bit of psycho explosiveness from Hogg, and the crafty spin of Singh. Top class openers , and a very dependable middle order with a mixture of R/L handers. One of the great keepers of all time, who was also a very decent bat, and he'll be joined in the slips cordon by captain Taylor and his opening partner Greenidge, who are as good as any pair of slippers from this era.

Last edited:

Himannv

International Coach
01. Justin Langer
02. Desmond Haynes
03. Ricky Ponting
04. Mahela Jayawardena
05. Gundappa Viswanath
06. Arjuna Ranatunga
07. Rashid Lateef+
08. Shaun Pollock
09. Shafraz Nawaz
10. Makhaya Ntini
11. Murali

12. Geoff Lawson

Can't decide on the captain.

watson

Banned
01. Justin Langer
02. Desmond Haynes
03. Ricky Ponting
04. Mahela Jayawardena
05. Gundappa Viswanath
06. Arjuna Ranatunga
07. Rashid Lateef+
08. Shaun Pollock
09. Shafraz Nawaz
10. Makhaya Ntini
11. Murali

12. Geoff Lawson

Can't decide on the captain.
That's relatively easy - Arjuna Ranatunga. Annoying to Australian cricketers only. Plus his field placing to your main weapon - Murali - are bound to be spot on.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
ROUND 12
01.Fredfertang - Sylvester Clarke
02.AndyZaltzHair - Geoff Boycott
03.Bagapath - Adam Gilchrist
04.Kingkallis - Lawrence Rowe
05.Justo - Vinod Kambli
06.Morgeib - Asif Iqbal
07.Harsh - Derek Underwood
08.Watson - Stuart MacGill